Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Quitting smoking again

Joey.E.CockersMommy
February 14th, 2006, 07:54 PM
Okay its official I am quitting. I smoked my last one at 2.20 this afternoon.

The only place I smoke is in my car on the way to work and at work. I dont smoke at home and I dont smoke on my days off.

Everyone smokes at my work because sometimes it can be stressful dealing with angry customers. I was quit for six months before I started there - then one day I gave in and started again. Which is the story for the majority of smokers there. So while I am there I have maybe four a day. Anyways I want to quit again. On my days off its not a problem because I dont really think about its just at work that its going to be hard.

jesse's mommy
February 14th, 2006, 08:27 PM
I wish you the best of luck!!!

cpietra16
February 14th, 2006, 08:42 PM
:fingerscr it really is hard to break....good luck. You can do.

Joey.E.CockersMommy
February 14th, 2006, 08:52 PM
I've quit before so I know I can do it again. I made a point to quit before I got pregnant so I wouldnt be a pregnant smoker. (yuck :yuck: )

I will have to smoke staws now - thats what I did when I quit the first time. Looks silly but at least it doesnt stink. :D

cpietra16
February 14th, 2006, 08:57 PM
Ok. I have never been a smoker and I feel stupid asking this but what are staws? Is it a smoke substitute?

Joey.E.CockersMommy
February 14th, 2006, 09:14 PM
:p oops its a typo I meant to say straws - the first time I quit - I would sit outside and suck on straws like I was pretending to smoke. So I got the inhale action without the nicotine - sounds crazy I know but it worked. Sort of I stayed quit for two years.

cpietra16
February 15th, 2006, 07:23 AM
OHHHH...well good luck. If straws work for you so be it....it beats sucking on lollypops:D

Joey.E.CockersMommy
February 15th, 2006, 10:55 PM
WEll I havent resorted to straws yet. Tommorow will be a challenge as I am working and thats where I smoke the most. Sucks to have a job where you want to smoke all the time. :(

angie79
February 16th, 2006, 07:02 AM
congrats on quitting hope it works for you!!
I quit 6 mth ago i know it can be hard (I'm here if you want to talk)
Nicoderm patches worked for me, and lots of gum kept excel in buissness

have you tried the gum?

good luck to you, :highfive:

Joey.E.CockersMommy
February 16th, 2006, 08:18 AM
Thank you. It will be hard I quit before so I know I can do it again. I've actually quit a few times. I think the first was for about a year and half to two years and after that I quit for a few month or a few weeks then start again. Very on and off again. I have never gone back up to a whole pack a day - but now I feel like I am smoking to much again.

Today will be hard because its back to work - I am almost thinking I should have quit next week when I do have two days off in a row. But I told myself that it would be this week. This women that I drive to work with was going to quit with me - but that doesnt look to promising - her son bought her a tub of tobbbaco and a carton of ciggarettes. So guess I am on my own.

I tried the nicorette gum before - so I may do that again - for today its just going to have to be regular gum - or straws to smoke :D. The whether is on my side today too - 14 today - which makes it pretty cold to go out and smoke.

Also I am scared of the dreaded smokers weight gain - last time I gained 10 pounds which isnt to bad. Although now I weigh 10 pounds less then the time I first quit. Anyways I figure if I excercise tons - my lungs will be too exhausted to smoke and I wont gain weight. :fingerscr

Will check in at the end of the day :fingerscr that I make it through without a smoke - I can do it, I can do it, I can do it, ! :fingerscr :fingerscr

shannonRN
February 16th, 2006, 12:14 PM
JECM, you can do this! It's not like you're a chimney smoker! It sounds like you're still going outside for smoke-breaks with your co-workers (sitting outside sucking straws). I'd have to recommend that you explain to them that you need to quit, so for the next month or so you're going to skip the smoking breaks and go walking instead. A good brisk walk is a great way to deal with stress and prevents you from eating or smoking.

Good luck--I know you can do it. I smoked a pack a day for 12 years and quit--I know how hard it is. You can do it! You can do it! (I should really go back to an earlier thread and find prin's cheerleader icons, but I'm too lazy right now)

shannonRN
February 16th, 2006, 12:29 PM
Alright, here it is....
http://bestsmileys.com/cheering/4.gifJoey, Joey, she's our woman, if she can't do it, nobody can!http://bestsmileys.com/cheering/4.gif

meggie1425
February 16th, 2006, 12:53 PM
Best of luck! I first started smoking at work too... Im also trying to quit, and its going good so far, i only have the occassional smoke at home, however when i go out with friends i tend to smoke quit a bit:rolleyes:
Just remember if you've quit before, you can do it again:thumbs up

Joey.E.CockersMommy
February 16th, 2006, 08:28 PM
Well I had three today. None on my breaks one on the way too work and two on the way home. I hate the smokes that my ride gives my. I didnt smoke on my break. Had a few miserable customers today - good days and bad days. Thanks for the encourgament I will not give up. No more smoking today and tommorow is another day.

Meggie1425

Best of luck! I first started smoking at work too... Im also trying to quit, and its going good so far, i only have the occassional smoke at home, however when i go out with friends i tend to smoke quit a bit

How long as it been since you quit at work. Thats obviously the killer for me. Also when I go out too and have drinks. Which luckily isnt too often for me.
Good luck its not easy but we can do it right. :D

meggie1425
February 16th, 2006, 08:45 PM
Actually the last time i smoked at work was only about a 3 or 4 days ago, its hard because pretty much everyone i work with smokes, and when it gets really stressful we all go out together for a smoke break. So a few days without smoking at work is a pretty good acheivement for me:rolleyes: But like i said, whenever i drink with friends i smoke like a chimney (those bad influences:p ) luckily thats only a couple days on weekends though.
Just take it one day at a time, and one craveing at a time. I like your straw idea too, i'll have to try it!:D Let me know how you do!

Shamrock
February 16th, 2006, 09:42 PM
JECM, all the best of luck to you! Good for you for endeavoring to quit this nasty habit! You can do it!
Announcing it to everyone you can is a very good motivator. Join an online quit smoking group if you find yourself weakening. Clean our your car thoroughly. Once you get some momentum going, you'll be encouraged and strengthened. Both Nicoderm and Zyban are very helpful if cold turkey isnt working. Whatever it takes is well worth it.

I need to take my own advice.:o I am sorry to say I blew a 20-month quit last summer. I was very proud of this accomplishment, and thought I had it beat for sure. After the death of my youngest adult son, I just lost my motivation, foolishly took a "who cares" approach. A BIG mistake! Now I need to start all over again..sigh.
Two deadlines I've set have come and gone.. And,to make things worse.. I am now smoking more than I even was before.:sad:

I am rooting for you, JECM, along with everyone here!:fingerscr :fingerscr
Keep us posted on your progress!

babyrocky1
February 16th, 2006, 10:10 PM
I dont know if you want to be this Extreme, but when I quit smoking, the last time, 15yrs ago.....I also had to quit drinking coffee and Alcolhol....the triggers were just too strong! I am an artist but couldn't work for at least two months....I couldnt concentrate! I would paint a stroke on the easle, stand back and grab for the cigarette, when it wasnt there I would have horrible withdrawl. I ended up making quitting smoking the centre of my life and everything else took a back seat to that. Eventually I could work again, finally got my coffee back! and lastly I could stand to be around booze, No problem for me now LOL I know that not everyone is THAT addicted, but for me thats the way it had to be. Illiminate all the triggers that you can and change your habbits as much as you can...thats when I really got into exercise, but I think you already are. Maybe take up a new sport? I just found all my old routines werwe associated with smoking so new patterns really helped....Good luck...YOU CAN DO IT:highfive:

Joey.E.CockersMommy
February 16th, 2006, 10:46 PM
WEll the triggers for me are booze and work. I can't give up work but I can give up the booze until I know its not a temptation. Coffee isnt a problem - actually the more coffee I drink the easier it is.

I am going to get some nicorette gum or maybe give the patch a try too. I also worked out tonight too.

Shamrock sorry to say you started again - under your circumstances though its understandable. You'll quit again when your ready - its not easy is it.

Joey.E.CockersMommy
February 17th, 2006, 09:05 PM
okay I started again. But I did join an online stop smoking forum my quit date is this tuesday the 21st. That way I can quit on my two days off. This week I only had one day off. I may go and get the patch too or some gum. I hear there is an inhaler too. Somone told me today - a smoker that licorace is good to for quitting.

glasslass
February 17th, 2006, 11:59 PM
I hate to say it but it sounds like your co-workers are sabotaging you. When they offer smokes to you, tell yourself not to give in. You're stronger than that. Seek out the ones who'll encourage you and be happy for your success. Have a stick of sugarless gum instead. You CAN do it!!!

Joey.E.CockersMommy
February 19th, 2006, 08:11 AM
Well tuesday is my official quit day. Again I know I failed the first time - but I truly do want to quit. I do have an action plan. Tuesday morning the first official day of being a non smoker I am going to go out and get the patch or some gum. I dont think I will need it until I am actually back at work. On my two fifteen minute breaks I plan to walk for 15 minutes or just stay upstairs. ITs cold here now so I may need to walk inside. I am also going to walk for 15 minutes on my lunch break too. So thats 45 minutes of walking - hopefully the weight gain wont be too bad. :D

Anyways wish me luck again. If anyone wants to join in my quit club with me membership is free. :D

Frenchy
February 19th, 2006, 03:38 PM
Just wanted to tell you that for some people,it takes 7-8 times before they quit,but they do it!So don't give up (easy for me to say,tried 3 times,last time it cost me $315 for lazer treatment that didn't work for me) but hey,YOU CAN DO IT.Who knows,maybe you will inspire me.

Shamrock
February 19th, 2006, 05:37 PM
Good luck to you JECM! You can do it!
I really would reccomend the patch... as it helps with the cravings. Plus the fact that you CANT smoke while wearing it is a good detterent on it own.

I dont know if anyone suggested water to you? But drinking lots of water also seems to help.. the two just dont "go" together
I carried a bottle of water everywhere I went intially - gave me something to do with my hands.;)

Keep us posted - we are all rooting for your success.:highfive:

Prin
February 19th, 2006, 08:28 PM
Hmm... I'm trying to think of motivational things to say, but I suck at it, so...

YEY for committing to quitting! Motivational Phrases! Happy thoughts!Woohoo!:D
Ok, I'll try harder..
No more stinky breath! No more yellow tar-skin! No more yeller teethies! Lower blood pressure! Better circulation! No more freezing yer hiney off smoking outside! No more being ostracized in public! Fight the machine! Make love, not war!:D I tried.:o

Joey.E.CockersMommy
February 19th, 2006, 08:37 PM
Okay tuesday is my official quit day - but I am out smokes now. I went to the drug store and inquired about the patch the pharmacist said it was too strong for me and reccommended the nicorette gum instead.

So instead of buying a pack of smokes. I bought the gum and this smokeless ciggarette, its a plastic ciggarette that apparently tastes like tobbaco - but has no nicotine in it - and you dont light it. It says warning do not light: just for those people that would try to light. The same people that would try to fly with the superman cape on :D. Better keep that away from my kids too. :D

Anyways tuesday is my official quit day - but tommorow will be a trial day so I am not putting pressure on myself.

cpietra16
February 19th, 2006, 08:57 PM
Well, Good luck. Hope it goes well. chew chew chew:D

Shamrock
February 19th, 2006, 10:38 PM
Better skin and hair!
Staves off premature wrinkles and lines!
Rids you of cellulite! (ok maybe not that one..)

A big one... saves you MONEY! And this really adds up.. even if you dont smoke much like you.

Here is a link that I used, JECM.. and found it a GREAT motivator. It has a lot of good tips and stuff too, but I especially like the meter that tracks your quit progess.
Its a quick and easy 2-minute download to install this on your computer.

http://www.silkquit.com/

It records the time you have not smoked, the number of cigs you have not puffed - and the money you have saved.
To view this every day really prompted me to keep going.

After about six months I didnt really bother checking it much, but in the beginning..it was very good.

You are really inspiring me to set a new date of my own, JECM! I am sooo disgusted with myself for starting smoking :sad:
Also, my quitting finally got my husband to stop smoking - a year after I did.
He is still doing great.. while me... puff puff.. eww:sick:

Joey.E.CockersMommy
February 20th, 2006, 09:31 PM
thanks Shamrock - I wasnt able find the meter though. ALthough I did find the cheap online ciggarettes. LOL :eek:

I joined quit net.com and signed up for a free online stop smoking course.

I found this on quitnet too.

today, i choose life.

today, i choose health.

today, i choose strength.

today, i choose self-control.

today, i choose not to smoke.

today, i choose to keep walking down the road of freedom.

you come too.

here is the sight and the free online course if you are anyone else is interested.
http://bc.quitnet.com/qn_gizmo.jtml?q_feature=30 online quit forum

http://www.quitsmokingonline.com/ free online smoking course.

Shamrock
February 20th, 2006, 11:04 PM
JECM.. oh, I see the site has been changed a bit.. I couldnt find it at first either...
At the very bottom of this page... a free download is offered for the meter.

http://www.silkquit.org/sqmmiv/meter.aspx

I was going to mention, also.. that this money tracking also provides the incentive to reward yourself with something lovely!
Once you have attained a certain goal.. say hundred bucks or whatever..indulge yourself. A nice dinner out, something pretty to wear..a spa treatment.

Mine is still tracking my progress,lol! I didnt realize this till just now.:D Since I started up 6 mos ago - havent bothered with it..
Its been running since Jan/04..
Says I have saved $4818... oh- my- god.:eek:

Thanks for those links! I'm going to have a look at those this evening!

Good luck with tomorrow, JECM - you'll be on your way!:fingerscr

Jazz&Cricket
February 21st, 2006, 09:28 AM
I quit smoking a long time ago. And it had nothing to do with health. I started smoking at the age of 12 and quit at 20 when I was smoking 2 packs a day. I'm 51 now. Cigarettes were going up in cost to a whopping $0.75 per package....to put that in perspective, I was working as a cashier for $1.10 per hour.
I quit for money! Plain and Simple!! I got a big glass jar and every day I dropped in the money I would have spent on cigarettes. I watched that money grow daily and every time I wanted a cigarette, I'd check how much money was in the jar. I kept dropping that money in for a year...then bought myself something I really wanted...a brand new bicycle. :) I'd never had one as a kid and I still had a bit of money left over.
Sometimes greed does work :D
Good luck and I do hope you manage to quit. It's not easy but trust me, you will feel better!

Joey.E.CockersMommy
February 23rd, 2006, 07:46 PM
Yeah I made through one whole day at work without smoking - I just huffed and puffed and went for a walk on all my breaks instead of smoking.

jesse's mommy
February 23rd, 2006, 07:47 PM
Good for you! Keep up the good work. The cravings will eventually go away!

glasslass
February 23rd, 2006, 11:03 PM
First day is the hardest! Now, on the second day, remember you've made it through the first one and you don't ever need repeat that first day again if you just stay strong.:thumbs up

Frenchy
February 24th, 2006, 04:43 PM
Congrats on your first tobacco free day,you can do it.

Joey.E.CockersMommy
February 24th, 2006, 07:57 PM
Made it through the second workday too -just been avoiding the smoke pit and walking instead. I am glad I am not smoking - but I still have cravings like crazy at work - then I think how I would feel if I gave in and had one.

I feel sad when I cant smoke like I am missing out on something and everyone is having fun an I am not. Sort of like a kid that sees another kid with candy and can't have any. I guess thats what the craving feels like to me.

Joey.E.CockersMommy
February 26th, 2006, 12:11 AM
I made through a third workday with no smoking at all. Only two more workdays to go and I will have made it through a whole week.

glasslass
February 26th, 2006, 02:13 AM
I've never smoked but I would think the first 3 days would be the absolute hardest. You're gonna make it!!!!:thumbs up :thumbs up

Lise
February 26th, 2006, 12:38 PM
I quit six years ago.It's hard at first but so worth it,do whatever you need to do to stop.I'm lousy at motivational thoughts and you need your own reasons to quit.Changing routines helped me. Some days it's easier than others at first just don't get discouraged.Good Luck

Joey.E.CockersMommy
February 26th, 2006, 08:50 PM
I made it throught another day although I did have cravings and had to deal with some irate customers at work today. But I did not cave in at all. Some people are taunting me at work - trying to get me to smoke -they are so mean - but I really dont want too, instead I go walking.

jesse's mommy
February 26th, 2006, 08:53 PM
You are doing so well! Keep up the good work!

Prin
February 26th, 2006, 10:28 PM
Yey! You're doing it! Those twits at your work- that is mean. What a bunch of morons.

When they're hooked up to an oxygen tank 24/7, who will be missing out on the fun then, eh? Not you.:grouphug: :love:

Joey.E.CockersMommy
February 26th, 2006, 11:03 PM
Prin= Yey! You're doing it! Those twits at your work- that is mean. What a bunch of morons.

yes but I have this fake plastic ciggarette that is supposed to take the cravings away - which it doesnt really - I pull it out and pretend to smoke it right in frront of them at my desk - ha ha I can smoke inside and you smokers can't.

glasslass
February 27th, 2006, 12:01 AM
Congrats on another day! Don't worry about will power! Will Power is just another word for Stubbornness. Will Power seems so difficult, but we all know how to do Stubborn! Stubborn is when you know you're right and you're not going to let those mean twits get to you! Yea for Stubborn! :thumbs up

Joey.E.CockersMommy
February 28th, 2006, 11:56 AM
One week smoke free - saved $19.60 and 48 ciggarettes not smoked 8 hours of my life saved. Just one day at a time. :D :D :D

phoenix
February 28th, 2006, 12:07 PM
congratulations!!!! that is a great accomplishment!:party:

doggy lover
February 28th, 2006, 12:08 PM
Congrats. Way to go:party: I quit 3 years ago next month, and I must say I don't miss it any more. I'm so glad that I don't smoke it feels so much better, no more stinky clothes, house and so on.... I did quit once before when I had my kids for three years, and then when my son almost died I picked it up again, it was a stupid thing to do. But once more I'm clean and this time I'm staying that way.. Keep it up it does get easier.. You've gone a week, I think that was the hardest.

Frenchy
February 28th, 2006, 12:36 PM
ONE WEEK!!Good for you,we knew you could do it.By the way,your coworkers are really mean,tell them to get a life!

Shamrock
February 28th, 2006, 04:52 PM
WAY TO GO!!! Congratulations, JECM! That first week is really a biggie, and you've done it!
Full steam ahead - you've got the momentum going! :highfive:

I just wanted to add that when you first quit smoking, it is truly like giving up a "friend'. A dangerous and destructive friend, but one with whom you've had a long relationship.
Feelings of "envy" for those who are smoking sometimes creep in.

But the truth is... they will be envying YOU! You are doing what ever smoker wishes they could do. Keep telling yourself that, and reward youself often!:highfive:

Joey.E.CockersMommy
February 28th, 2006, 05:51 PM
Shamrock =

I just wanted to add that when you first quit smoking, it is truly like giving up a "friend'. A dangerous and destructive friend, but one with whom you've had a long relationship.
Feelings of "envy" for those who are smoking sometimes creep in.

Yes I have those feelings like I am missing out on something, everyone is having fun smoking and I am left out, my worst cravings are in the car -sometimes I take our other car the one that I have never smoked in just so i don't think about it, Also ate everything in sight for about three days, but the food cravings seem to tapering off, no weight gain as of yet so that good too.

thanks for the support -come join me whenever you are ready.

Joey.E.CockersMommy
March 11th, 2006, 10:29 PM
Just thought I would let everyone knowI am still smoke free .

My Quit Date was: 2/21/2006
Time Smoke-Free: 18 days, 7 hours, 28 minutes and 31 seconds
Cigarettes NOT smoked: 128
Lifetime Saved: 23 hours
Money Saved: $50.40

I still have cravings then someone will say congrats your doing so well and its like well I cant smoke now I'll look like an idiot. But seriously so far so good - I dont miss it all that much really and I havent even gained weight so I am really happy about that. Trying to walk on my work breaks instead of just sitting doing nothing.

:D :D :D

mummummum
March 11th, 2006, 11:08 PM
:grouphug: BRAVA!!!!!!:highfive:

glasslass
March 13th, 2006, 11:34 PM
Congrats! I'm glad to see you're hanging in there! So proud of you!

Prin
March 13th, 2006, 11:41 PM
Yey! You go, girly!:highfive: