Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

The important things . . . .

Rick C
February 14th, 2006, 11:10 AM
Thought folks would find this amusing to kick around, a story in the LA Times today showing the results of a survey where men and women tell us what's important in a significant other.

Men are from Mars, women are from Deloitte & Touche.

That seems to be the conclusion of a new survey just in time for Valentine's Day that found that men want a woman with a good sense of humor, while women prefer a guy who has a steady job and pays his bills on time.

.For men, the most important qualities in a spouse were, in order: a good sense of humor, an ability to get along with his family, a steady job/good credit history (a tie for third place), desire for children and a good kisser.

.Among women, the top qualities were a steady job, paying bills on time, a good sense of humor, an ability to get along with her family, desire for children and a clean driving record.

And other things at this link.

Agree or disagree?

http://www.latimes.com/la-021306love_lat,0,1317019.story?track=hpmostemailed link

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca

shannonRN
February 14th, 2006, 01:43 PM
I think the only reason men prefer their women having a sense of humor to a steady job is that a woman with a very good sense of humor would be the only one to put up with him not having a steady job & paying his bills late. Take this out of the equation, and I think the two would be equal. Also, I didn't follow your link, but I bet there was no choice for "boobs" or else that would have ranked somewhere near the top.

LOL, I'm kidding, the poll makes women look shallow, so I'm being defensive. I don't put much stock into polling, you never can be quite sure of the methods used.

However, I know that from my own experiences, I was the one who was not concerned about absolute financially stability before getting married--it was my husband who wanted to make sure he was a good provider before proposing. Raingirl too. So from my perspective, it just seems inaccurate.

Writing4Fun
February 14th, 2006, 01:52 PM
.For men...an ability to get along with his family...
That's because they're all momma's boys. :p

.Among women, the top qualities were a steady job, paying bills on time...
Probably because the women they polled had already "done their time" with the deadbeat losers and now have their priorities straight. :thumbs up

I'm with Shannon on this one - change the question to include "boobs" and the mens' results would have been very different! :D

Luvmypit
February 14th, 2006, 02:19 PM
I met my soon to be husband and boyfriend of almost 5 years at a party where he was drunk and obnoxious. I did not like him till he started visiting a store I worked at in Scarborough Town Centre. He drove a blue tempest with almost all the paint peeled off. He had no job for 1 year and I still went out with him and stayed with him. Now he is a correctional officer and provides very nicely for me and his daughter. But if he would have continued to bum around I would have never continued with teh relationship. I girl needs secuity especially if she wants kids.

I think the thing is women will never write down as one of the requirements is to NOT have a job and prefer my men to play video games all day. So I think its just a matter of knowing what they want.

Rick C
February 14th, 2006, 04:11 PM
MacLeans Magazine a few years ago surveyed some ladies and found that men who wear tube socks were definitely off the list of acceptable's.

Is that true?

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca

cpietra16
February 14th, 2006, 04:14 PM
MacLeans Magazine a few years ago surveyed some ladies and found that men who wear tube socks were definitely off the list of acceptable's.

Is that true?

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca

That was a few years ago, now I would take them over the ones that love to wear thong underwear:D

jesse's mommy
February 14th, 2006, 04:15 PM
As long as they aren't pulled up with their knees and have really short shorts on!!! :D

Writing4Fun
February 14th, 2006, 04:22 PM

Is that true?
As long as they're not being worn with shorts & sandles. :yuck:

doggy lover
February 14th, 2006, 04:28 PM
and are wearing sandals.:D

I think it is very important for a man to have a good job, steady well that depends on the job. I'm glad I have a steady job, as my husband works construction and has been layed off in the past. But when he is working sometimes he could work over 12 hours a day. So I think an understanding partner is an important choice to both. If you want kids you better make sure he does, I have friends with out kids as their partner doesn't want them, I would change my relationship and find a new partner.

Prin
February 14th, 2006, 09:33 PM
Hmmm... I disagree with those lists. If getting along with his family was really important, I would have been gone a long time ago.:D And I'd be quite a hypocrite if I valued a clean driving record...;)

For me, it's sense of humor, generosity, reliability and independence above everything else.

And for my man, as far as I know him, it's loyalty, dependability, self-sufficience, independence and trust.

I think the opinion on kids can change with the couple. I think that a person who is dying for kids can persuade a person who hates kids (with a little help from therapy) if there is enough other good stuff there.

As for tube socks, as long as he doesn't wear them in bed or with shorts, who cares!?:D

Joey.E.CockersMommy
February 14th, 2006, 10:18 PM
what about black socks with shorts - or socks and sandels together - horrors :eek:

domesticzookeep
February 14th, 2006, 11:04 PM
I can see it being somewhat accurate....

Although - the way it reads is $$$ counts.......for me, steady job would earn high points. BUT - I don't care if he's making $30 k or $100 k (I've dated both sides of the financial 'spectrum', so to speak) - as long as they are financially responsible and live within their means :)

I guess, I've really worked hard to try to be financially responsible - put myself thru university, bought my own home by myself.....I'm just not sure I can respect someone who isn't...(financial responsibility is not dependent on income!)

Personally, I love my job - but I've also worked really hard to get where I want to be....and I really get annoyed to hear coworkers complain about their jobs - but don't do anything about it.... life is not fair, nor is it easy...and to sit back, throw your hands up in the air & hope someone else will fix it, or simply hope that you win the million $ lottery - is just not me - so I guess I expect the same attitude from my partner....and I think that fundamental difference in philosophy would end the relationship fast....:rolleyes:

....but....I see a big difference in supporting someone who has lost their job & is actively looking for employment (or is passionate about what they do, but it's not full time/yr round) vs someone who can't hold a steady job b/c of repeated "personal differences" with every boss they've ever had, or just plain lack of interest in working....

...but I am surprised sense of humour ranked so low :confused:

However....in the end....I know the one that stays, will ultimately need to pass the 'dog approved' test with flying colours :p
(and yes, I firmly believe my old lab was a great judge of character....;) )

C.
:ca: