Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Ib sick and miserbo

Prin
February 13th, 2006, 11:31 PM
lol Seriously. I haven't had a cold in about 2 or 3 years. This sucks hiney. Universities are supposed to be full of smart people but they're not. They're full of morons who make it so nobody can miss class ever, so everybody goes in all contagious. I refuse to propagate my disease. I lost 5% for not showing up to a seminar type thing tonight, but hey, if you were in my group, sitting 3 feet from my snot, would you have wanted me there? You can't teach us about bacteria and viruses and not expect us to be more careful about them. Merr.

Do you think I could hit on the prof with my nose running and my voice quiet and raspy and successfully get my 5% back?:D

Iggette
February 14th, 2006, 07:49 AM
Awwww Poor you:grouphug:

I know what you mean though....I wish more people would think like you, last year there was over 20 people off with the flu on our shift alone. No one wants to use their e days (sick days unpaid) so they come in and share the sickness with the rest of us. only a few off this year (knocking on wood)

Hope you feel better soon:)

Joey.E.CockersMommy
February 14th, 2006, 08:25 AM
That sucks that your sick - I just got over a bad cold to - its really hard to talk on the phone when your gonna cough up a lung - the customer is wondering why your muting them all the time.

The big boss at work was making everyone sign this sheet saying they'd be there on saturdays so even if you happen to be sick apparently youve commited to work - so sucks to be you. I refuse to sign it because I've never called in sick - and have gone in feeling like crap - but if I do take a sick day I wont have some form that I signed saying that I promised to come in.

Now they are offering more $ to come in one weekends instead of making people sign this form.

Also if you are off for one day with the flu or a cold - your supposed to bring a doctors note. Does everyone go to the doctor when there sick for one day - or even two. IMO its a waste of time for the doctor.

cpietra16
February 14th, 2006, 08:39 AM
Prin, if they don't want you to miss a day, just show up and sneeze all over the prof and let him miss a day. With this plan you can't lose 5% if your prof is MIA too:D .
I know what you mean. I was right in the middle of my finals at Uof A when on my way to write my last exam ( I stayed up all night) I crossed the road and met a car head on ( the lady was late for work)...anyway needless to say I was held up in the hospital crying to let me go because the University would not see this as a good enough reason to give me a rewrite...and I was right. I had to beg for the damn rewrite. I guess the crutches and a wrapped leg just didn't convince them:D

Writing4Fun
February 14th, 2006, 08:56 AM
Do you think I could hit on the prof with my nose running and my voice quiet and raspy and successfully get my 5% back?:D
Well, maybe not with the runny nose, but the quiet, raspy voice might do it for him (or her?). :p Hope you're feeling better soon. :) :grouphug:

CyberKitten
February 14th, 2006, 09:18 AM
Maybe your univ has that policy but the one I work for insists sick ppl - esp with colds and who are foolish enuf not to get a flu shot STAY HOME and they can follow along by videoconferenece if necessary.

Seriosuly, I am sorry to hear you have a cold - they can be uncomfortable. They seem never enough to be considered serious (unless they become pneumonia!) but just enough to be truly miserable for many of us. Some pl see to manage quite well - I am one who bec of other issues has to be over cautious with a cold. Don't make the mistake of letting anone give you antibiotics - colds tend to be viral so anti bacteria agents do not good, more harm really since your body's immune system gets used to them. Even most lozenges (if you have sore throat) are not much better than candy - which is cheaper. Some lzoenges are not too bad- check the label. A little benzo (like the stuff in oragel - same ingerdient is found in most lozenges). If there is none, don't bother buying them. Buy the cheaper sugarless candy unless you like the tastes of Life brand or those Swiss things, Ricola, lol

Vitamin C - 1000 mg right at the beginning and 5 mg of zinc but no more since more also weakens the immune system. The prob with buying that stuff tho it is unregulated so you never really know how good the quality is.

Best you can do - rest, rest, and keep the fluids going. I hate to say it but take 2 acetemenophen and get lots of rest!!!! Keep warm! Don't give in to all the junk on the market - most don't work - time, rest, fluids and the old fashioned ASA or acetemenophen for fever do.

Get well soon!!!

Prin
February 14th, 2006, 10:42 AM
Thanks everybody. I hope nobody else gets sick... For the nose though, I love contac. You don't realize how much it works till it wears off... Plus, it's got a little tylenol in there just to add a little perk in your step.;)

It was hard being sick and miserable and dropping Kerry and Doolin off at the vet... But at least I can sleep and not run around telling kerry to stop eating the floor and doolin to stop eating my shoes...:)

mmm... sleeeeeep...:D

Bearsmom
February 14th, 2006, 11:30 AM
Aw, Prin, you too? My husband went to work in a nursing home, at the end of the day the nurse says, "why don't you guys have masks on, we're under a respiratory outbreak?" Hubby says, "well, it would have been nice to have been told that at 8am NOT 5PM!!!", so he gets home and he's got it, I woke up yesterday with it, and we're praying wee one doesn't get it.

I swear to God you could pave roads with the crap coming outta my nose....

PS I swear by Zicam.

Rick C
February 14th, 2006, 12:56 PM
Hope you get better soon . . . .

http://www.warholprints.com/images/artwork/full/FS-II.45.jpg

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca

badger
February 14th, 2006, 01:01 PM
My mother swears by ColdFX, but I think you have to take it before the virus hits.

jesse's mommy
February 14th, 2006, 04:05 PM
Prin I hope you feel better. Can I send you some cookies to make the sickness go away???

melanie
February 14th, 2006, 04:06 PM
oh poor prin, do you ahve vicks chest rub over there, if so get it and put it on the bottom of your feet, put on your sox and go to bed. the vicks is suppsoed to burn the cold outta you, i dont know how but it always makes me feel better (even if its the power of placebo:D ). if no vicks rub then get some eucalyptus oil, i swear it will cure what ails ya:D rub it on your chest, and back and the feet too, and go to bed. and drink tea, lots of tea, its good for congestion and the antioxidents are fabbbbboooooo.... and water,. oh flush those toxins baby and rehydrate too...:D

and of course LOTS OF VEGES, good nutrition and vitamins are the best medicine ever and you cant buy better than that.

and if you dont get back that 5%, i would go and cough on the lecturer, give it to him and make him come in sick, see how he likes it..... but seriously ring them, im sure they wont take the 5 if your sick, perhaps you need a med certificate though for proof or something. how harsh:D :D

so go rub crap on yourself, and eat some veges and fruit, and lots of em....

and stay warm, althoug htere is no cure for the cold there is plenty you can do to aleviate it..... (if nasal congested, change your position, eg if your standing up lie down, of your lieing down and stuffy nose, sit up, it is basically working on the angle of your body)))

oh and a little apple cider vinegar once a day (1 tbl spoon) will also help to aleviate congestion, chest probs and ear infection:D :D

get well soon:D

jesse's mommy
February 14th, 2006, 04:09 PM
I like hot tea with blackberry brandy in it! Works wonders! Blackberry Brandy is my Irish Grandmothers cure to everything!

happycats
February 14th, 2006, 04:40 PM
I hear pictures of cute fuzzy black puppies, make you feel much better:D

jesse's mommy
February 14th, 2006, 04:46 PM
They are being snipped today so I'm sure they aren't going to be feeling the greatest either!

happycats
February 14th, 2006, 04:48 PM
They are being snipped today so I'm sure they aren't going to be feeling the greatest either!

Awwwww, poor little babies! I hope all goes well with them:sick:

chico2
February 14th, 2006, 04:55 PM
Aww Prin,sorry you are sick,hopefully the pups will be a bit sleepy after being snipped and they'll let you sleep.
Whenever I get sick,which does not happen often,since I quit work.I swore by Neo-Citran,put me right out and I always felt better right away.
http://bestsmileys.com/sick/3.gifget better soon:love:

CyberKitten
February 14th, 2006, 05:12 PM
ColdFX has been great at marketing but check the ingredients - you can buy the same stuff at cheaper prices - and it has some added ingredients that should NOT be taken by people with certainb illnesses (cancer neing one but others as well). Check with your doctor before taking it. If you are well, have no medical issues whatsoever, read the label and decide if you want to pay a huge price for the brand name or buy a generic version of the main ingredient minus some of the other stuff that really is not all that necessary.

joeysmama
February 14th, 2006, 08:50 PM
Prin, I'm sorry you're sick but grateful that you posted about it--now I've got some new home remedies. I believe in opounding the vitamin C and oj and taking extra zinc. Actually I take zinc every day but when I'm out I just know I'm more susceptible to colds because sure enough that's when I'll get them. But when I really need "chemical intervention" Ny-quil (or the store brand equivalent si my favorite. Such a nice relaxed feeling and the creeping crud goes away long enough to get a nice rest.

Feel better soon, and make plans for a Valentine's day "do-over" so you can celebrate it without being a "drip". Get it? Drip? :sick: (yeah my stand up needs work !:rolleyes: )

cpietra16
February 14th, 2006, 09:04 PM
I haven't seen it in Canada, but when I lived in Vermont I bought Airbourne (Sp?). This stuff really works. With my kids in school and all the viruses...we never got sick that year. I don't know if it ever made it into Canada. I never did find some and I want to go to the States and stock up again.

happycats
February 14th, 2006, 09:13 PM
I haven't seen it in Canada, but when I lived in Vermont I bought Airbourne (Sp?). This stuff really works. With my kids in school and all the viruses...we never got sick that year. I don't know if it ever made it into Canada. I never did find some and I want to go to the States and stock up again.

lol ,I just bought some of that last week!! Walmart it's the their version of it! it helped alot, but I had the flu so it really didn't "cure" it, maybe if I would have taken it before I got sick, it would have worked better:)

papillonmama
February 14th, 2006, 09:27 PM
:) Hope you get beter soon Prin, I had a cold like that not long ago, I was also miserbo.
People going out when they are sick is something that always makes me a little anxious, and i tend to avoid malls and even buses and subways in the winter. There's always one person hacking away. :yuck:
I have to admit, that I don't get the flu shot, because I agree that antibiotics and other medications are overused. I firmly believe that it's better for you if you get sick and let it run it's course it boosts your immunity in the long run.
When I get the head-cold I use Sinutab, I stand by it. I had a head-cold that turned into sinusitus (sp?) I had a headache for days, I went to a pharmacy and the nice pharmacist reccommended it, cleared the headache in one night. It sure knocks you out though.

Prin
February 14th, 2006, 09:55 PM
Thanks for the well wishes... I'm sorry you're sick Bearsmom! Sickies Unite!:D

Melanie, being sick around your place sounds like work!:D I like Tiger Balm on my sinuses though. It's the rockingest. Why do you put the rub on your feet though? Any reason? Or just because it feels nice to a sickee?

My contac isn't working for the first time in the history of me... I might have to consider some of these home remedies...:highfive:

For the flu shot... I don't really believe in it other than for the elderly or the people with weakened immune systems. I figure the more flus you get now, the better off you'll be when the bad one hits.

I haven't been sick in so long and it's weird that I got such a bad one. I don't have a fever, but I have all the aches and pains of one. I've barely eaten in 2 days. My sweet, sweet man made me crepes again tonight. He's so great.:love:

Prin
February 14th, 2006, 09:57 PM
Oh, as for the pups, I'm quite glad they aren't here to be bored watching me sleep... I hope they're ok. I'm going to pick them up tomorrow morning.:fingerscr I'm anxious to see how much they weighed..

Bearsmom
February 14th, 2006, 10:26 PM
Thanks, Prin, we're leaving for Panama on Saturday, and the LAST thing we want to do down there is be snorfling and snuffling our way through the Panama Canal!

I'm required for work to have an annual flu shot. I've NEVER been as sick and as much as I have been this year. This is whacked!

Prin
February 14th, 2006, 10:35 PM
The last really bad thing I had was the Sydney flu in 1999. That was painful. Healthy people got it and died... I had a fever of 40 degrees for 7 days straight. So I can't complain too much this time...:o

melanie
February 14th, 2006, 11:41 PM
quote - The last really bad thing I had was the Sydney flu in 1999.

oh thats so funny, i didnt know anyone in sydney with it:D :D

you put the rub on your feet as taht is wehre your heat leaves the bod that and the head of course, so you trap in the heat and effectivly burn the bugger out of your system, its like sweating out the fever sorta thing.

yes being sick here is hard work, but mainly for the poor person who i get my hands on to cure. poor hubby gets sick of my remedies, there is a medicine i make, its garlic crushed, honey and horse radish, and sometimes a dash of euc oil, poor hubby reckons that the thought of taking it makes him better immeadiatly, but my gosh it sure works and he is better in no time. its great for getting the fever outta ya, building good imune with the garlic and the honey makes a good throat soother.... yes he is my walking talking experiment and guniea pig, i love experimenting on ppl, cause i dont have to taste it, bahahahahahahahahaha:D :angel: hey but all my methods really do work....

i dotn get flu shots, over here their only really for the elderly, frail or really young, doctors dont like giving them to normal healthy ppl, they would rather let things run thier course, and i tend to agree. and i aint had a flu for years, but with remedies like mine i probably scare them off....:D :D

oh my poor family:D

feel better soon matey....

Prin
February 14th, 2006, 11:45 PM
But doesn't Eucalyptus make you cold? Am I the only one who feels it cold? My bf says tiger balm warms him up.. It makes me freezing.

Leave out the horse radish and maybe I'll take your cure.. Does it matter if the honey is over 25 years old? It's aged to perfection...:)

jesse's mommy
February 15th, 2006, 04:32 AM
I doubt if it matter the honey is over 25 years old. Honey is the only food that doesn't expire! (Stupid facts I know.)

Prin
February 15th, 2006, 09:11 AM
My Dog, it just gets worse and worse. Aren't you supposed to start feeling better after sleeping 2 days straight? This sucks hiney.

And I'm glad honey never expires. We eat it anyway, but always wondered if it was ok... Every now and again, we boil it...

jawert1
February 15th, 2006, 09:20 AM
I discovered the magic of Theraflu not that long ago during my last cold and wow, aside from the nice lemony taste, I felt WAY better almost immediately. Normally my colds/flus change into sinus infections (bad sinuses) but this time it didn't.

Shamrock
February 16th, 2006, 03:52 PM
Prin.. sorry to hear you've been ill! Hope you and the other "sickies" are on the mend and feeling better soon.
Lots of TLC in in order while you're on the mend.:grouphug:

Its awful being sick, isnt it? Last Christmas Day, I got an unexpected gift at the nursing home where my mom resides.. the Norwalk Virus.
I was SO ill, I couldnt believe how harsh it was. And the poor seniors who came down with it.. extremely dangerous for those who are already frail. :sad:

Take care, best wishes for a speedy recovery!

Prin
February 16th, 2006, 07:07 PM
Thanks Shamrock! :grouphug: I'm feeling better today, despite not sleeping too much last night because of Doolin... Maybe I'll get rid of this bark before spring (I doubt it though.. I usually end up on asthma pumps to get rid of a cold..:rolleyes: ) But hey, a cough alone is better than a cough with a runny nose and sore throat...:thumbs up

Sucks about your Christmas though. Was it this one or last year? (2004?) I hope the elderlies made it out ok.

glasslass
February 18th, 2006, 01:37 AM
Try this concoction for congestion. Heat a mug of water with a chicken bouillion cube in the micro. When almost boiling, squeeze the juice of half a lemon into it, and add a generous squirt of Tabasco Sauce (hot pepper sauce). Use enough Tabasco to give it a bite. Sip while really hot. This really helped when my cold turned into bronchitis. I never go to work anymore while contagious. I caught my cold 2 1/2 years ago from a co-worker and I ended up with asthma, which I just recently found a medication that controls. I don't understand the mentality of your professors. But then, I don't understand the grueling hours that interns have to work in hospitals either. I would think it could be risky for the patients to have sick or sleep-deprived doctors treating them.