Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

worst cut ever

raingirl
February 13th, 2006, 10:01 PM
I just cut myself the worst I ever have. I was slicing carrots on my mandoline, and sliced about 1 cm right down the centre if my thumb right through my nail.

it's my right hand and I need to write a lot in my job, and now I won't be able to write at all i can't put pressure on my thumb.

Grr....typing hard too

any suggestions? I spent an hour looking for my first aid kit. I also used my last two bandaids! Anyone know where they sell fingercots? I hear they are better for these type of cuts.

Prin
February 13th, 2006, 11:04 PM
Finger cots as in finger condoms? (Just to be sure we're talking about the same thing). They usually sell them in the pharmacy next to the rubber gloves.

raingirl
February 14th, 2006, 06:53 AM
yeah. those. I only see them at small places, but I only have a shoppers drug mart near me.

it's throbbing now because I accidentally knocked it...

mona_b
February 14th, 2006, 07:23 AM
Ohhh you poor thing....:grouphug:

I did that when I was about 9 years old...It was one of the cheapy ones(back then)..But dumb dimb me didn't use the protecter part that comes with it.So when I was doing the cucumbers for a salad,I sliced the top layer of skin on my baby finger.Till this day I have a long scar on it....:( ..My mom took me to the hospital..The doc asked if I brought the "other half" of my finger...I said it was somewhere in the salad......LOL..I did get a few stitches though.

If it's that bad I would definately get it checked...Just in case you need stitches..As for the fingercots,Shoppers has them.

Luvmypit
February 14th, 2006, 01:10 PM
Did you still eat the salad is the big question?

cindyann
February 14th, 2006, 01:42 PM
Try a product called Liquid bandaid. Its a liquid form you apply it to the cut and it seeps into the cut and around it and hardens abit and holds it together and helps heal it faster.

raingirl
February 14th, 2006, 08:39 PM
I don't think stitches would be possible with this cut because it's right beside the edge of my nail and right straight through the centre of my nail down the tip of my finger (the cut on my skin is 2 mm beside my nail, so it wouldn't be possible to stitch). Besides, too late now (needs to be done within 6 hours).

I kept pressure on it for one hour (took that long to find bandaids and gauze) so that helped it keep shut and stop bleeding.

My only concern is the nail is kinda purple/blue/white where the cut was under my skin. All the walk-in's are closed now here, and bf thinks I should see a doc. Guess I will be going into work late tomorrow. Not that it matters since I can't write anything!

I hate docs too... I don't know.

Here is my crude drawing of what happened. It's right alond one side of my thumb, right through the centre of my nail.

I just want to warn people who buy these. BE VERY CAREFUL!!!

cpietra16
February 14th, 2006, 08:49 PM
I have a vivid imagination and I must say the drawing made me nauseous...it looks,feels painful, and I have no pain tolerance...I would have gone to the clinic for a very very strong pain killer by now.

raingirl
February 14th, 2006, 09:02 PM
to tell you the truth, it doesn't hurt anymore as long as I don't bang it or use my thumb (makes for slow typing).

This morning I droped my bf at work, and go to release the parking break, and WHACK, right on the console. I was in tears!! It took me almost two hours to get to work because I had to stop and wait for the pain to stop at my bf's work, and the hit the drug store on the way to work for first aid supplies!

mona_b
February 14th, 2006, 09:03 PM
Did you still eat the salad is the big question?

LMAO

Actually no.Not to be to gross,but would eat a salad that was red instead gf green......:D ..And here I was tying to be a good daughter and help out with dinner...And what did I get?A blasting from Mom.....:rolleyes:

No doubt that you will probably be loosing that nail...:(

Can you move your finger?...My concern would be if you hit a nerve.

PLEASE do get it checked though.

And yes I agree..You need to be VERY careful when using them.

raingirl
February 14th, 2006, 09:09 PM
yeah, I can bend it and feel pain and all that. I already have two scars on my right hand from other deep cuts. I have a tingly index finger, and a numb tip on my middle finger. I'm rather clumsy.

And another tip...don't wash glass cups with your hands inside them!! I did that and the glass broke, and sliced up the side of index finger. Got out of final exams though!

SunGurl372
February 14th, 2006, 11:07 PM
A friend of mine took a good size chunk out of her palm with a mandoline...I love to cook, but ever since avoid those like the plague.

I noticed you were looking for "finger condoms". If you keep your finger bandaged underneath, you can buy the plastic/rubber ones at office supply stores. These are the same ones you see people in nail salons using.

Hope you feel better....I've taken a good swipe or two out of my fingers from time to time. Last time I did that, I was trying to crack raw crab claws for an Italian cioppino with a very dull knife. Of course, it slipped...thankfully, the dinner made it out with no damage!! :crazy:

Prin
February 14th, 2006, 11:17 PM
Don't wear the condoms too long- your cut has to breathe and be allowed to dry too.

That pic made me cringe too... Very graphic. I'm gonna complain to the mods. Kidding. But it did make me cringe and make cringe-related noises...:D

I got a cut like that once when I was chopping onions (onions sting!). My neighbor at the time was a St John Ambulance person, so I went to visit her to see if she could fix me up before I died. She put a cream on it that stopped the bleeding right away. I never got the name of it... :rolleyes:

She also said that if your cut is longer than the tip of your thumb to the 1st knuckle or deeper than the width of your thumbnail, you have to go to a doctor. Words to live by.;)

raingirl
February 15th, 2006, 07:28 AM
well..i'm going to a walk-in this morning. It looks better this morning, but there is a white lump at one end that is concerning me....grr...

they don't open until 9 am though..

buffytwin
February 15th, 2006, 08:48 AM
And another tip...don't wash glass cups with your hands inside them!! I did that and the glass broke, and sliced up the side of index finger. Got out of final exams though!

Oooh I've done that before! I still have a scar, and I was so surprised when the glass broke, and then I realized I cut my hand... I've never dried a glass since, I'm a wuss, lol...

Iggette
February 15th, 2006, 10:20 AM
oh raingirl that sounds nasty!:(

You and I must be related..lol I too got a nasty cut this weekend.

My girlfriend who I spoke to you before about in Innisville on 10 line uses the finger condoms everyday......better get some before she buys out the store if she hasn't already...

I have finger gauze it is like a long tube on a roll of gauze that you slip your fingys into might help hold the finger condoms in place if you think it might help pm your snail addy to me and I'll send it next day service if you think it may help

Hope you heal quickly:)

raingirl
February 15th, 2006, 07:02 PM
I went to doc. Cut to close to the nail for stitches, but they put stickey surgical strips on it to hold it all together for 10 days. Got a tetanus shot too!

Iggette, I saw your post! I hope you feel better! My friends brother jumped through a glass coffee table when he was three...got over 100 stiches all around his legs. After seeing that, I will not buy a glass table!

Writing4Fun
February 15th, 2006, 07:10 PM
LOL! Finger condoms are in high demand in Innisfil these days! :D Hubby dropped a huge metal plate on his finger a little while ago, split the nail right down the middle, from top to bottom. That was the first time I had ever heard of a finger condom, let alone seen one, and now that's all I'm reading about lately! Too funny! :D :crazy:

Iggette
February 17th, 2006, 08:08 AM
LOL! Finger condoms are in high demand in Innisfil these days! :D Hubby dropped a huge metal plate on his finger a little while ago, split the nail right down the middle, from top to bottom. That was the first time I had ever heard of a finger condom, let alone seen one, and now that's all I'm reading about lately! Too funny! :D :crazy:

Just had a memory flash w4f it was you I was talking to....lol I think I'm battling halfzimmers:D

CyberKitten
February 17th, 2006, 05:59 PM
Take care of that finger Rainngril - gosh, you are having quite a week!!! I once cut my thumb while cutting in prep for dinner - and at the time I was sating an ER doc- and he was on call (so while I had to have him stitch me up, I had to put up with jokes for the rest of the week -p as in some ppl will do anything to see their bf, lol). Your experience brought that incident back - I hope it heals fast. Once it has healed, vitamin E really does work tro help get rid of the scar - if there is one on a finger - I usually break the capsules right on the scar rather than the cream which typically does not have as much of the stuff as the capsules.