Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

What's up with neighbours' cat??

lezzpezz
February 13th, 2006, 03:39 PM
I have a neighbour that has the tiniest 6 yr old cat, and I mean tiny:eek: She is not spayed but is vaccinated! Believe me, I have beaten my head against a wall trying to get these folks to spay/vaccinate/liscence/get medical attention for any of their pets, and they have done the very minimum to some of the pets, but not all!!:mad: .

The mistress of the house has said many times that she has to take such-and-such in to the vet to be: vacc/spayed/treated...etc., but never actually does. They have 2 cats and 2 pit bull/cross/type dogs. I guess that one of the pets has to be on Deaths' door in order to get their attention....oh wait, that's already happened many times and they STILL haven't taken the pets to the vet!:( What was I thinking??

To the root of the issue: the cat has what I thought might be pyrometria, but the symptoms don't seem to quite jive. At first, the owner figured the cat was pregnant, as her abdomen was very distended and "hard", and she began occasionally passing a milky substance on blankets etc. It was plain to see this on her "tush" from time to time. She did not appear to be in any discomfort whatsoever, jumping on furniture and counters, eating well, drinking and acting quite happy and normal!

A few days later, the swollen belly subsided and the cat no longer appeared pregnant, with no sign of discharge:confused: I am baffled!

The neighbour said that a friends cat used to get the same thing and it was actually a stomach ailment, where the lining of the stomach would become irritated and the belly would swell, etc. I have never heard of such a thing, has anyone else?

What could this mystery condition be? And no, they did not take the cat to the vet, but are you surprized?:sick:

Lucky Rescue
February 13th, 2006, 03:41 PM
Well, you can do what we do sometimes, when people refuse to s/n or get medical treatment for their pets.

You can take her yourself and have her spayed and checked out.

chico2
February 13th, 2006, 03:45 PM
Well,LezzPezz,I think we all know people like that,who do not want to spend money on a mere cat:sad:
At 6lb's she must be really tiny and the owner is lucky,the cat has not gotten pregnant yet,but she probably does not care.
Maybe she was pregnant and had the kittens somewhere outside??
I am sure it's not unheard of.

CyberKitten
February 13th, 2006, 04:02 PM
I hate to admit if this cat had kittens and the so called "owner" knew about it, I shudder to think what may have happened to those babies. If this kitty is outsude, perhaps some caring ppl may find her a new home and those other ppl might assume the cat just got lost and given their history, they may not care. I hate to think such thoughts but people like that drive me to ponder such notions, sigggggggghhhhhhhhhh

lezzpezz
February 13th, 2006, 04:47 PM
Ah! the cat is an "indoor" cat, and they were wracking their brains trying to figure out how she may have become pregnant, but we know that a cat in heat and a tom that is willing is pretty much all it takes....kinda reminds me of when I was a teenager and wanted to sneak out to see the boyfriend....I would ALWAYS find a way....but I digress, little tart that I am (was!:eek: )......

This is why the owner feels that the cat was never pregnant, but has some other issue going on. The cat has been in the house the entire time since the medical predicament first presented itself. Before that, who knows!

If there were kittens born, they would likely have been born in the house and they would have noticed this, BUT, as stated, the cat could have snuck out to become pregnant and then snuck (is that a word:p ?) out again to deliver the kittens in the great outdoors.....hmmmm....

Any theories on any other medical conditions that show the same symptoms??

CyberKitten
February 13th, 2006, 06:44 PM
psudo or false pregnancy - it does happen amg unspayed females but usually not the abdominal issues. I have to think more about this...