Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Seperation Anxiety??? I DON'T KNOW!

poochie616
February 13th, 2006, 11:30 AM
I recently recieved a 5-year old female shar pei just before the end of my fall semester from a woman who could no longer care for her. The woman took wonderful care of the dog, and had her since she was a puppy. I brought the dog home over break and she was great--the perfect dog. When I brought her back up to school with me though, she completely destroyed my apartment w/in the first week. I got her a kennel, but she seems to have tremendous anxiety when she goes in there when I leave during the day. She didn't have this problem back home during the break, and doesn't when left alone at my boyfriend's apartment. Is it seperation anxiety she's dealing with, or just the kennel? And if so, because she's older, is it possible to still train her not to be anxious, and how should I go about doing so? The previous owner gave her a dog-type Zantax during everyday also when she left for work. Should I give my dog drugs while I'm gone?

StaceyB
February 13th, 2006, 11:46 AM
A lot of times you will go through the honeymoon period. You don't start to see their true personality until the third week you have them.
Contact the previous owner to see what the dogs routine was.
Was the dog getting more exercise before you brought her to this new place. Does she hear people through the door all day. There are many questions about the differences between then and now.
Write down everything that has been different between the homes.
You also can't just put a dog in a crate that has never been crate trained and leave. There is a process that you need to go through.

CyberKitten
February 13th, 2006, 05:29 PM
re: a dog-type Zantax
Do you mean xanax or zantac? There is a huge difference. There is some med called Zantax but it is a weigkt loss drug - does this dog need that?

I make so many typos so that is why I am wondering - given the seperation anxiety issue, am assuming you xanax but just needed to check. I would take her to a vet to make certain all is well too.

Good luck!! And I agree re the crate - dogs need to be crate trained first - some love them (as den aniamls) and they are good training tools but when you leave a dog inexperieneced in crates, she may be wondered what she did to deserve that fate and her anxiety would only have increaed. I see crate training as useful in training in a puppy but please don't use ot to punish her - she really does not understand why she is there - and even if punishment was not the goal (saving your apt was I gather), you need to find something that works for her.