Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Rocky needs help

trescanis
February 11th, 2006, 10:05 PM
PLEASE SIGN AND CROSSPOST WIDELY*

Contact: Tom Price: cheetahexpress@execulink.com (@execulink.com)

--------------------------

Tom Price and his dog Rocky of Kitchener Ontario urgently need your help! A victim of that city's archaic and oppressive pit bull ban, Rocky is in imminent danger of being seized and killed. (news story pasted below).

Please sign the petition to save Rocky here: http://www.PetitionOnline.com/2467/petition.html

The petition link, along with Rocky's photo, is also located on Tom's website: www.cheetahexpress.ca

Please everyone, the petition at the moment contains only 2 signatures and one of them is mine. We'd like THOUSANDS of names added to the list so please sign and crosspost to as many people (individuals, your mailing lists, relevant discussion lists, Yahoo groups etc. etc.) as you can! We cannot allow Rocky to be killed. He's a harmless sweet old boy and is so trusting. He loves everyone that he meets.

-----------------------------

Story in The Record (Kitchener newspaper)
Dog's life on the line

TERRY PENDER

KITCHENER (Feb 9, 2006)

Tom Price is fighting for his dog's life.

On Tuesday night the K-W Humane Society visited Price at his Lancaster Street residence, and handed him a death sentence for his dog of eight-and-a-half years.

"He's a very friendly dog," Price said.

After taking several pictures of Price's dog Rocky during a couple of visits the Humane Society concluded the animal was an American Staffordshire terrier, and would have to be destroyed. Such dogs can be banned by the City of Kitchener.

"He's never done anything wrong," Price said.

The Humane Society was acting on an anonymous complaint, and Rocky did not bite anyone or their dog, Price said. The notice was hand delivered on Tuesday, and Price will take his case to the city's Dog Designation Appeal Committee. He is scheduled to appear on March 20.

"It's pretty much a closed case," Price said.

When the city banned pit bulls it ran into a problem right away. Pit bulls are not a single breed. The name commonly refers to several breeds, including the American Staffordshire terrier, the Staffordshire bull terrier and the American pit bull terrier.

All of these dogs have strong, square-shaped bodies, short noses and a short-haired coats. But not all of them are pit bulls.

Price doesn't think it's fair to lump his dog in with the crazed pit bull that lead police on a chase across the city almost a decade ago. That dog was eventually struck by a couple of cars on the Expressway and shot several times by police before it was killed. And that incident lead to the city ban on pit bulls that came into effect in 1997.

"You have to do it on an individual basis, not a breed," Price said.

The Kitchener bylaw is far reaching.

Dogs can be designated for destruction if the animals are dangerous, potentially dangerous or prohibited under the bylaw, said Jennifer Sheryer of the city's legal department.

Dogs that are prohibited in this city include dangerous dogs that have violated a condition placed on them, as well as dogs that fit our definition of pit bull that weren't grandfathered-in when the bylaw was passed," Sheryer said.

Pit bull terriers, American pit bull terriers, pit bulls, Staffordshire bull terrier, and the American Staffordshire terrier are prohibited under the city's bylaw. But the Staffordshire bull terrier and American staffordshire terriers will be spared if the animals are registered pure breds, Sheryer said.

That doesn't help Price even though he believes his American Staffordshire terrier is a pure bred. That's because Rocky was castrated, and therefore ineligible for registration.

"If they can show they are part of these registered pure bred dogs there is not the same concern of them being pit bull terriers or American pit bull terriers," Sheryer said.

"But they look so similar as a breed that if they can't prove they are pure bred, then those two breeds fall under the pit bull's definition," Sheryer said.

The Humane Society of the United States disagrees with breed-specific bans. It says dangerous dogs should be banned, not entire breeds.

Coun. Berry Vrbanovic was instrumental in bringing the pit-bull ban to Kitchener, and he quickly points out that Queen's Park has followed this city's lead and introduced a province-wide ban. It is a public-safety issue, Vrbanovic said.

"It's not something that the city takes lightly," Vrbanovic said.

The city's Dog Designation Appeal Committee has overturned decisions made by the Humane Society in the past, and Price is hoping it will do so again for his case.

"I'm upset. He's been loyal to me for eight-and-a-half years," Price said of his dog.

jesse's mommy
February 12th, 2006, 08:15 AM
We both signed!!!

chico2
February 12th, 2006, 08:24 AM
It's a truly sad,cruel state of affairs..:sad:
Good luck to Rocky and his owner:fingerscr

wdawson
February 12th, 2006, 08:35 AM
i just signed

joeysmama
February 12th, 2006, 09:32 AM
I signed too.

CyberKitten
February 12th, 2006, 01:58 PM
I'd love to sign but having had experience with how politicians regard petitions, if I do not vote there, my name means nothing to them. Petitions only wotk if they are backed up by people who can actually affect the politicians's term in office - then they sit up and take lots of notice!! So, you will have to get people in your city involved = demonstrations, media that is supportive, Rocky should actually visit some politician who has no idea he is a pitbull with a camera running or if that is risky, make your own film.

All I can do i write that city and tell them unless they stop treating dogs like Rocky so horribly, I will never visit there. So they will not be getting my tourism dollars or any organizations I belong to will be encouraged not to hold conferences there.

Petitions, alas, work only when they have large numbers, are presented IN PAPER with MUCH FANFARE and PUBLICITY by constituents who vote (and make sure the people who sign have voted bceuse politicians check their lists to see who voted!) in the area. I do wish you well - I just know too much about what politicians consider important and thus online petitions - unless they are picked up by someone important in the media and given a lot of attention and threaten the political life of someone, they are not as helpful as other tactics.

There is an old saying in a impoverished community not far from where I live by people who jaded by politicians, ensure they vote because they DO know if they want something, they know a politician's EA or someone will check the voting lists of the last (in your case municipal) to see who actually turned out to vote. And even though Elections Canada has changed the law a bit, every candidate with any organization has a scrutineer at every poll whose job is to cross off the name of voters so that the outside scrytineer can then get out the vote of known supporters who have not yet voted,. The saying is "I went and crossed my name off the list" - so if they do have an issue, they can do to their MLA/MP/ ward person/ whoever and know they will be listened to.

The only other way around that is to have donated money but in communities like this one, large numbers of actual voters is what they can afford. Sorry for the lecture but as someone active in politics and who once worked as a student for a party leader, I know where petitions signed by people who did not vote or worse, are from outside the area, go.

Please find some innovative ways to help Rocky - and you could start a campaign of sending potentional tourists reasons why not to visit and note to the city pols how many animal lovers are out there and how much this stand could cost them. It worked in Cincinatti - the cost of the ban plus the tourism angle made them change the law.

But in thie individual case, you need to introduce Rocky to the people who matter. Bring a video to the council meeting - ask to speak or to be a delegation (strenth in numbers and all that).

Good luck!!!

babyrocky1
February 13th, 2006, 10:59 AM
I signed at both links but cant view:confused: So I dont know if it worked or not.

seeker
February 13th, 2006, 06:38 PM
I had some trouble signing it too but I am pretty sure you have to be able to see what you signed then accept it before it is added to the list. It took a few trys but finally got it.

trescanis
February 13th, 2006, 08:26 PM
Petitions, alas, work only when they have large numbers, are presented IN PAPER with MUCH FANFARE and PUBLICITY by constituents who vote (and make sure the people who sign have voted bceuse politicians check their lists to see who voted!) in the area. I do wish you well - I just know too much about what politicians consider important and thus online petitions - unless they are picked up by someone important in the media and given a lot of attention and threaten the political life of someone, they are not as helpful as other tactics.

As you said," large numbers". If everyone had the attitude that petitions do not help, nothing would ever change about anything! There won't be "large numbers" unless people that feel as you do, sign this petition. I understand how politicians view petitions....large numbers of the voting public are listened to.

mastifflover
February 13th, 2006, 08:37 PM
Signed it and passed the link along. This is absolutely ludicrous and I feel so bad for both dog and owner.

babyrocky1
February 13th, 2006, 09:17 PM
I had some trouble signing it too but I am pretty sure you have to be able to see what you signed then accept it before it is added to the list. It took a few trys but finally got it.I got it this time....thanks!

babyrocky1
February 13th, 2006, 09:23 PM
Does Rockys dad know about the "Saving Lily" web site? Jen Steele and friends went through so much of this already, maybe they could help. What about the lawyers they used? Greeen and Vespry? www.savinglily.com I think thats the site.

babyrocky1
February 13th, 2006, 09:36 PM
I emailed the site and the name of the lawyers .:fingerscr

jawert1
February 13th, 2006, 09:43 PM
I signed and also am drafting a letter to the city of Kitchener and Ontario tourism boards, even though I'm not Canadian by birth. Not to be obnoxious, but perhaps if we all started making a stink about not visiting the province and bringing our hard earned money there, they may think twice about a stupid ban that will kill more innocents than prevent accidents. Hit em in the pocketbook and see how fast that tune changes.

Spurby
February 14th, 2006, 06:31 AM
I agree with cyberkitten in this case.

The breed other than PB registered Amstaffs have been banned from Kitchener since 1997, there is nothing wrong with moving to save your dog.
I don't agree with the ban, but i also don;t agree with ignoring it either and not complying with the law

The laywers info and contacts have been provided to this person.