Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

work woes

raingirl
February 11th, 2006, 05:21 PM
Sorry to complain again about work, but I have tried SOOOOO hard to get up to my manager's "standards" but it's just not working. I cried almost the whole way home from work on Thursday and Friday.

So...I need a new job. I don't want to leave where I am, but I just cannot get along with her. I also have come to the realisation that my job sucks. There are only two people in my department. Me, and my manager. I do probably 75% of the actually work, she reviews my reports, and does all the admin stuff. We both also do work for other departments in the company on an as needed basis. I have already been told that my position is the worst in the company. I do more work and can't bill that many hours. I do a lot of work for which I don't get paid, and frankly it's not fair when I see people in other departments do the same work, and they get paid more for the same thing (will bill in 5 minute increments, so some of the things I do I am only allowed to bill 5 min but in other departments, we can bill 15 for the same thing. Stupid huh?).

My problem is that I have NO IDEA what I want to do. There are only a handfull of companies in the same industry, and I know I am already at the best of the best of them. So if I move to another, I may not do any better.

I don't know if I want to do something different though. I also cannot make any less money that I am making now, because I am barely getting by as it is. I would preferably like something that isn't stagnant and the same all the time, I like change, maybe something a little more hands on, less "professional" (I'm really not looking to be a manager or anything like that. it's not my style).

I just feel like crap....

CyberKitten
February 11th, 2006, 05:32 PM
What about wrking for a company that is not in your biz but as in inhouse person? Lots of orgs looking for that now - and you would be your own "boss" in some ways - or at least have more autonomy!

raingirl
February 11th, 2006, 05:46 PM
That would be nice, but there aren't that many jobs like that around. Plus, in Ontario they passed a new bill that might make it harder to do that.

I just feel so lost for the first time in my life. Before now, I always felt that there was something else I could do. There were all these wonderful things I could see myself doing. I finally got one I wanted (the one that I wanted the most), and look where I am? I went into debt for this job, I bought a car for this job, and all I have been is screwed around. I was told all these wonderful things at first, about how easy it could be to make more money, how my hours could be more flexible. Last week I only got something like 30 hours paid work (maybe less) because it was a "slow week", yet I was at the office almost 50 hours! I can't function in a job like that. Especially now that we were told we were billing TOO much time? How is that possible when I am spending 9 hours at work each day, and only getting 5-6 hours of paid work done?? That means I am doing at least 3 hours of work each day that I DON'T get paid for? How is that fair? And it's not like I'm just sitting on my butt not doing anything. Nope. I am working CONSTANTLY and even forget to eat lunch sometimes!

And then there are the panic attacks when I am waiting for reports to come back to me and have my manager scream at me. I DO NOT want a life like this. I feel like I am losing it. I feel so sad and dejected. She has totally made me feel like crap and ruined my self esteam. I used to be confident and optimistic, now I just feel like I can't do anything right and I'm a total failure...

on top of this all, the travel time is killing me. I'm spending almost 2 hours in the car each day.

I'm looking at jobs on workopolis now. I used to look at jobs and say "I can do that" "that sounds interesting" and now all I are negatives like "well, I obviously suck at that" "there's no way I can do that now"....

jesse's mommy
February 11th, 2006, 05:48 PM
What is it that you do now and what kind of qualifications do you have? What interests you?

I was kind of in the same boat as you and I found that I was switching jobs every 2 1/2 years because of my boredom and want to move up and on. It even happened with my current company and I switched into field sales after (guess how long?) 2 1/2 years and now I love it. I have the flexibility of being my own boss and doing things at my pace -- as long as I get it done they are happy. I basically work out of my house and am responsible for 18 accounts, they give me a company car, I'm making very good money and my stress level dropped from about a 10 to a 2. I love the flexibility and freedom I have and I don't have any breathing over my shoulder watching every step I make. So I guess my question is, have you considered sales? Don't get me wrong, there are sales jobs that are highly stressful, but then there are those like the one I am fortunate to have that is pretty easy going. I've lucked out and work with wonderful clients. There are so many opportunities out there, you just have to know what interests you. If you are looking for freedom and flexibility, then you might want to look into something that gives that to you. Make sense?

jesse's mommy
February 11th, 2006, 05:52 PM
Are you anywhere near Mississauga? There are sales positions with my company open there. I could give you the information.

raingirl
February 11th, 2006, 06:00 PM
I just sent you a PM regarding what I do.

I used to think I could do sales, but now my confidence is so shaken, I don't know.

I will admit that I would love to be a pastry chef, but I don't have the $$ to return to school full time. I am going to start takiing courses part time this summer if I can afford them (about $600 per course). It's something to work towards, but I can't do it now.

THere are entry level baker positions around here, but they don't pay well enough for me to live on.

raingirl
February 11th, 2006, 06:01 PM
Maybe send me the info. You never know!

in regards to my skills...well, I have EXCELLENT computer skills. I have really good organizational, time management, and multi-tasking ability. I am able to build a raport with anyone. I'm intuitive.

I beleive my writing skills are pretty good, but aparently not as good as my manager would like. I'm very techy and creative though. I really like to be on top of technology and implement things into my job to make it more efficient and easier. I'm good on the phone. I am punctual and have good attendance. I am reliable. I work quickly, and do fairly well under stress (but I am looking for a position with LESS stress right now).

I was almost thinking that I would do REAL well in a call centre environment, answering tech questions. I'm really good at helping people that way (I LOVE helping people solve problems).

Rick C
February 11th, 2006, 08:35 PM
Alberta is dying for experienced people . . . . . . lowest unemployment rate in the country and a dearth of competent people to fill jobs apparently, particularly in Calgary.

A pastry chef with excellent computer skills should have no problem at all!!!

If you're willing to move . . . . . .

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca

gdamadg
February 11th, 2006, 08:54 PM
Alberta is dying for experienced people

Rick C,

LOL, do you work for King Ralph's immigration office? I will be on my way in a year to fill one of those empty jobs. Just have to bide my time with the Army. ;)

mummummum
February 11th, 2006, 09:20 PM
If your company has an EAP perhaps you might consider speaking with a career counsellor, taking some aptitude tests and develop a step-by-step plan at transitioning to either another position within the company or another career entirely. Does your company offer any education $$$ as a benefit? Ask your HR folks, this is often a well-kept secret. If you are interested in staying with the company but want to find a way to release yourself from the jaws of The Boss from:evil: , think about seeking out a mentor in an upper-level position and establish a professional, ongoing mentorship with that person. Not only will you gain invaluable advice and insider knowledge about how things really work in company but, mentoring is also a tremendous means of networking. Alternatively, join a professional association - I know of several women's associations in Toronto, perhaps there is one in your field and city.

raingirl
February 11th, 2006, 11:07 PM
our company it too small for anything like that mummummum. We don't even have an HR person. My department is 2 people. The department I want to work in is 3. Therefore, no room to move. I would love to be in the other department though.

By professional association, you mean one for the job you work in? Human Resources Professionals Association of Ontario (HRPAO) if you are in HR, something like that? Because there isn't one for what I do (I checked).

Where would someone go if they wanted free career advice and to have things like aptitute tests done?

mummummum
February 12th, 2006, 12:29 AM
Yikes that IS a small company! Apologies if this isn't geo-appropriate advice as I don't know where you are in the world but, I'm sure you can find a correlative in your area. For free vocational advice, if you are in or nearby a large city, most women's centres will have career workshops and job counselling. If there are no centre's nearby, most regions have a YWCA who definitely run occupational/ vocational assessment services and have career guidance/ work re-entry programs. If you are a college or university graduate, there is likely a professional women's alumni group you could reach out to for direction or to join. And there are just plain old "Professional Women's" groups who hold breakfast and lunch meetings, networking events etc. If you have sufficient vacation time accrued, you could volunteer to intern somewhere that looks interesting. Or you could see if there is a barter-exchange group in your region and barter your X services in exchange for training in your Y interest. "What Colour is Your Parachute?" is full of great ideas on career transformation - and it's free at your local library ! When all else fails - GOOGLE ! (and giggle of course...)

glasslass
February 12th, 2006, 02:16 AM
Where would someone go if they wanted free career advice and to have things like aptitute tests done?

We have a Career Center at our community college that does free testing. It helps students decide what they want to major in and to make plans for which courses they need to enroll in.

raingirl
February 12th, 2006, 11:15 AM
I don't have any vacation time at all that I know of. Part of my contract was no vacation in the first year, then 1 week after than I believe, which doesn't kick until June. Which will make it hard to look for a job since I can't take a weekday off.

I will check out the YMCA and see if they can help. Again, it will be hard to get anything done only having weekends off.

CyberKitten
February 12th, 2006, 02:41 PM
What about starting your own firm or with someone else. I know you love what you do it not this particular company? And you sound excellent at it - and you love it. Would you be content to do something similar while you start your own biz? There are other things I can think of that your qualifications (and you have lots, do not let yourself get down - I am very impressed with your skills and I don't say that every day) - would work well in. You have good computer skills and I know so many companies looking for someone with your other skills combined with the computer skill set. Or at least I think I do. Think about HR companies that recruit people, (govt public service commissions are looking for ppl like that and if you wwant to move to NS, I do know of a job sort of like that.)

Anyway - those are my thoughts. These people sound needlessly arragant and that is what happened to Big IBM. They cannot let your gaurd down with so many people out there starting up new ways of doing things. Nor can they afford to be nasty to employees. You are innovative - think of other places that NEED your skillset!

Just my thoughts! Meanwhile, take care of yourself and take a deep breath!!! :grouphug:

raingirl
February 12th, 2006, 02:59 PM
thanks cyber.

It's really hard to start your own firm in Ontario, again, due to changes with the legislation recently. I'm not so much of an entrepanuer either.

I made a decision and I am going to talk to the manager above her tomorrow after work and see if he has any suggestions or solutions. He may not be able to do anything, as I don't really want him to go and talk to her and make her change or anything, unless he could do it without telling her I had the concerns.

I applied for a few jobs today...so who knows...just gotta keep my eyes open.