Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Neutering...changes in dog?

rosebury29
February 11th, 2006, 04:08 PM
Hi,
I want to get our male puppy (now3 months) neutered when he is 6 months old so he doesn't get any habits like lifting his leg, etc. and I heard it makes them more mellow as adults.
However, I heard that they don't neuter police dogs, etc. early as they say they need access to their hormones. Why? Are dogs that are not neutered more intelligent or something. Will neutering our puppy change his personality?
Thanks for any info on this topic.
Stacey

jawert1
February 11th, 2006, 04:18 PM
Neutered dogs don't lose their personality, if anything they're relaxed enough to show their true selves. Not only is it more healthy for your dog to be neutered from a mental perspective since they don't get dumb without testes, but it also GREATLY decreases the risk of certain cancers and aggression, not to mention the freedom to NOT worry about unexpected litters. Also, maybe some police dogs aren't neutered, but the ones I've known were.

bethaliz
February 11th, 2006, 04:46 PM
Nutering is a good thing for many reasons, most of which you know and have laready been mentioned. Nutering your pet will not stop some habits ie/ the whole lifting the leg to pee. However it will mellow him out and make calmer and easier to control (especially when a female is around).

In regards to police dogs not getting neutered until after 6months there are many reasons. An intact male will be more aggressive, which is important to a police dog. They are still fixed in every case I"ve seen, but allowing them to develop some of that aggression can be helpful in thier line of work.

Really would you want a police dog that ran up to the bad guy and gave him kisses? You'd probly rather him bark and detain hte criminal. Obviously not all agression is connected to nurtering but there is a connection.

If you dog is not going to be a police dog there is no reason to post pon having him neutered. It will not deminish his intelligence or his ability to be a great pet!

Prin
February 11th, 2006, 07:41 PM
I've heard that sniffer dogs aren't fixed because the testosterone heightens the smell. I highly doubt it's true... Especially in humans. I mean, if the pups take a dump, I definitely smell it before my man does...:D

But neutering doesn't ensure your dog won't lift its leg either. If your dog is dominant, that will happen no matter what. Neutering might affect the frequency though. Neutered doggies tend to mark a lot less.

It doesn't make them too mellow so much as removes the stress of finding a mate and frantically trying to claim territory.:)

mona_b
February 11th, 2006, 08:07 PM
Police dogs are done at 6 months...My current GSD is a retired Police Dog who was my brothers partner...And who I had from the begining till he was 18 months.And I got him back when he retired.He was neutered(along with my others)because I was put on a Neuter contract...And if I didn't go along with the contract I would have had my A$$ in court and would have been sued for $5000.

In regards to police dogs not getting neutered until after 6months there are many reasons. An intact male will be more aggressive, which is important to a police dog. They are still fixed in every case I"ve seen, but allowing them to develop some of that aggression can be helpful in thier line of work.

Sorry to say,but you are not even close.

When choosing their dogs they do NOT look for an aggressive one.If they are aggressive before their training,they do not make it on the force.The aggression is NOT helpful in their line of work....They are only trained on command...These dogs go through their SchH training which is in 3 stages.And my dog has his Title in SchH III.

These are not only working dogs,but they are also family dogs.When their work is done for the day,they go home with their handlers.Do you honestly think that they would want an aggressive dog in the same house as their kids?I don't think so.

Really would you want a police dog that ran up to the bad guy and gave him kisses?

Oh trust me,you would not see this.

As for lifting the leg,my boy does this and he is fixed....:D

glasslass
February 11th, 2006, 09:22 PM
My vet will not neuter before 7 mos. He says they need those hormones while growing and maturing. I've never noticed one iota of difference in the before & after. What they do before neutering, they continue to do after neutering. But they haven't developed that "macho" attitude either. Den-Den didn't start lifting his leg until he was 4yrs. Corky started lifting his at 4mos. Each time, it was because they watched another dog doing it. It didn't occur to them til then. Monkey see: monkey do!

PetFriendly
February 12th, 2006, 06:45 PM
Charley is only a year old, but I had him neutered before he was 6 months old.
One clear advantage is his dis-interest in light polls and fire hydrants... He doesn't have to stop and smell each and every one. He has lifted his leg, its happened twice... He squats to pee the rest of the time which is fine by me because it means we go farther when we go walking.

StaceyB
February 12th, 2006, 07:07 PM
Fixing or not fixing will not calm your dog down at all, in fact there is no scientific proof that it will change them in any way except those behaviours that are testosterone related such as marking but that's it.
Even a neutered male will have an interest in the girls. They can even perform, just can't re-produce.

The last thing police dogs need is aggression. They are not taught to attack. They are taught to hold. In the end it is just a behaviour that is taught. Certain traits are wanted but more as a sound dog socially than one who is not.

All male dogs may or may not lift their leg whether they are fixed or not. Some will never lift their leg and some will lift some of the time and squat other times.

One of the reasons why it is thought to calm a dog down once they are fixed is because at the same time they are recovered from the surgery they are coming out of adolescence. It appears that it was the neutering that caused this but it was just that the dog was naturally maturing.

Getting your dog fixed is going to without a doubt be better for their health, lessens the chance of aggression with other male dogs and if done early enough can lessen marking.

yoda900_ca
February 13th, 2006, 07:34 AM
my thought on neutering for the delay in SOME breeds and why police dogs are neutered later is they need the male hormone to put on muscle mass. I know alot of malamute owners who use their dogs for sled pulling or weight pulling will not neuter till after the first yr to ensure their dogs have the muscle mass need to do their job.

mona_b
February 13th, 2006, 10:12 PM
my thought on neutering for the delay in SOME breeds and why police dogs are neutered later is they need the male hormone to put on muscle mass.

Once again,they are not neutered later...They are done at 6 months....And it has nothing to do with putting on muscle mass..Do you know how much exercise these dogs get?Have you seen the Protection part of the SchH training?Muscle mass has more to do with the exercise they get.