Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Reverse Sneeze??????

babyrocky1
February 10th, 2006, 07:14 PM
Has anyone ever heard of a "reverse sneeze" I had one of the worse frights ever last night! Rocky was making this horrific noise! i thought he was either choking or couldn't breath but he woke us both up at four am doing this awful sound that Ive never heard before, I breathed in to his nose! I thought he was dieing! Anyways I took him to the vet first thing this am and they, from my phone call, thought he had kennel cough, he doesn't. He had been coughing a little for a bout a month but it would start and then go away and he was otherwise really healthy. Anyways this wassn't a cough like Ive ever heard! The vet said he seems absolutely fine and that it may have been a reverse sneeze, and from my understanding of this, without any sleep mind you, is something about an air pocket and the dog feels as sif they cant breathe but they actually can. Anyways if anyone can enlighten me I would love to hear a good explanation. Rocky is feeling fine now and quite enjoyed his day at the vets followed by a new kong from the strategically placed pet store but Yikes that was scary!

raingirl
February 10th, 2006, 07:22 PM
Odin gets them all the time, a few times a day. It's kinda like when you have a cold and you get phlegm at the back of your nose/throat and you snort to fix it. The dog keeps trying to breath through his nose, when he would be find if he breathed through his mouth. Aparently massaging the throat can help, but I haven't seen it do much. Odin's usually last about 5-10 snorts, and then he is fine.

Beaglemom
February 10th, 2006, 07:29 PM
Here is a link to a website that explains reverse sneezing.
http://www.paw-rescue.org/PAW/PETTIPS/DogTip_ReverseSneezing.html
Misty does it as well sometimes. The first time I saw this was with one of our late dogs. It freaked us all out! I was young at the time and had never seen it before. Now, when Misty has her episodes, we just massage their chest and neck area. I don't think it does much, but it makes us feel better knowing that she knows we are there with her. She doesn't seem bothered by it at all and once it is over, she will continue doing what she was doing before it happened.

Lucky Rescue
February 10th, 2006, 07:47 PM
My Chloe gets those, sometimes so severely it frightens her!

I lift her head to straighten her airway and firmly stroke her throat while talking gently to her. If that doesn't work, I put two fingers over her nostrils for a few seconds. Between those two things, it usually stops.

It seems to happen when she's excited or has had exercise.

jesse's mommy
February 10th, 2006, 07:52 PM
Jesse does that too! I figured it was just allergies from dust because it sounds like she is clearing out her nose like I do when I have an allergy attack.

babyrocky1
February 10th, 2006, 08:15 PM
My Chloe gets those, sometimes so severely it frightens her!

I lift her head to straighten her airway and firmly stroke her throat while talking gently to her. If that doesn't work, I put two fingers over her nostrils for a few seconds. Between those two things, it usually stops.

It seems to happen when she's excited or has had exercise.Oh yeah, he was really scared, but I think it happened in his sleep, he does alot in his sleep though, runs, growls etc. his pretty active LOL Maybe his head was just on a bad angle, he was in a different positon on the bed than he usually sleeps. Also it seemed to last quite a while, well its hard to get a sence of time in a situation like that but he was really shaken up, his heart was beating like crazy and then after he was exausted.

babyrocky1
February 10th, 2006, 08:22 PM
Here is a link to a website that explains reverse sneezing.
http://www.paw-rescue.org/PAW/PETTIPS/DogTip_ReverseSneezing.html
Misty does it as well sometimes. The first time I saw this was with one of our late dogs. It freaked us all out! I was young at the time and had never seen it before. Now, when Misty has her episodes, we just massage their chest and neck area. I don't think it does much, but it makes us feel better knowing that she knows we are there with her. She doesn't seem bothered by it at all and once it is over, she will continue doing what she was doing before it happened.Great link Beaglemom, Im glad I read that as I was thinking this would never happen again. So now if it does, Ill at least understand what it is. Rocky is turning seven and seems more sensative to dust or the dry heat of the winter...Imnot sure what exactly but for the past few months he hasn't been himself. I switched his food and that has helped alot. I also wondered if its the stress of the muzzle, which he hates, that has left his immune system a little depleated. So I did exactly the reverse thing that I should have by blowing the air into his nose:confused:Yikes who knew?

Beaglemom
February 10th, 2006, 08:38 PM
Glad I could help! It is very scarey the first time that we experience it.

jawert1
February 10th, 2006, 11:33 PM
Peaches only does that when she's got a bit of a cold going (2x in the last 3 years) but Simon quite regularly. He gets SO excited over his food (even more so now that he's on SGWK) and will start in with that about every 2 days. I just stand by and pet him and keep his head up and he usually stops as soon as he gets started. Scary though, the first time I ever heard a dog do that, we were off to the emergency vet :p

marko
February 13th, 2006, 10:33 PM
There is also this answer from the archives located here
http://www.pets.ca/index-QAarchive.htm

Here is the exact link

http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?threadid=2575