Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Update on Badger's Ginger Man...

Inverness
February 10th, 2006, 01:22 PM
I'll post this in the general forum as I cannot post in the rescue one.

Here's the latest news on our Ginger Man. :pawprint: He just went back home this morning after being neutered yesterday and having his eye examined thouroughly while under anaesthesia. The neutering being such an easy procedure (sorry to all the men reading this :D ), it went perfectly well. However, we now have new concerns about the eye.

The exam revealed that at some point, Ginger Man aka Toulouse got into a fight with another cat and got a scratch straight into the eye. He lost his sight and the eyeball shrunk to the point where it is so small now it does not occupy much space in the eye socket anymore. Because of that, the lower eyelid slowly inverted and we now have a case of entropion, meaning the eyelashes constantly rub against the surface of the eyeball and, as you can imagine, cause inflammation and infection. Toulouse went back home with an ointment to treat the infection, but the only correct way to handle this would be to have an entropion surgery performed to reposition the eyelid.

Toulouse's adoptive mom has now spent around 200 $ on the cat and, of course, wants to go ahead with the entropion surgery. And so I thought I would post this update and ask everyone here for help. The entropion surgery would cost 275 $. I'd like to be able to help her defray those costs as she has already so kindly accepted to adopt our stray cat and introduce him to an already big feline family. I don't know if you will all agree with this as there are so many animals out there who need our help. However, should anyone be willing to donate just a few dollars towards the surgery, please PM me and I'll give you all the details.

Here's a pic from today when Toulouse got back home. :)

http://img255.imageshack.us/img255/6740/gingerman2vl.jpg

catsnatcher-CDN
February 10th, 2006, 03:34 PM
Aw...he looks like he doesn't even know there's a problem with his eye!

Good thing he was rescued! When's the entropion surgery scheduled?

BMDLuver
February 10th, 2006, 03:56 PM
Would it help if I could get that cost reduced? My vet may offer to do it for less?

Inverness
February 11th, 2006, 12:05 AM
Thanks BMDLuver, I'll PM you. :thumbs up

jawert1
February 13th, 2006, 07:38 PM
Any update on Toulouse, Inverness? :)

Inverness
February 13th, 2006, 09:44 PM
Well the update is not about the eye, it's about Toulouse's temperament ! He is getting out of his shell... a bit too much at the moment... :eek: His mom tried to introduce him to the rest of the family once and it didn't go well. So she built him a big condo to move him upstairs so he could see and smell the cats around him but would still have his own space... turns out he does not want to have anything to do with being kept in a closed space anymore... so he rampaged the whole condo during the night, turned everything upside down, food, water, litter, etc... then somehow managed to get out and got into a huge fight with one of the other cats - took a big chunk of hair and skin off the other cat's back and cut his ear... :eek:

I was speaking to his mom earlier tonight and I could hear cats screaming and fighting - well we had to hang up so she could go and see what was going on...

So our main concern at the moment is to try and find a way to introduce him to the rest of the family while keeping him secure and confined - at least until his hormones go down a little and his eye is healed. Let's just say it is a bit of a nightmare at the moment...

I haven't been able to speak to the vet who will do the surgery as he was not working today, and I have to find out why they want to keep his eye since he doesn't have any sight left. We're going to make sure we do the right thing for Toulouse.

Anyways, I guess we should expect to take him back to surgery by the end of the week. I'll keep you posted ! Thanks for asking ! :)

Lucky Rescue
February 17th, 2006, 01:19 PM
and I have to find out why they want to keep his eye since he doesn't have any sight left.

I was wondering about that...

As for the fighting, it could take MONTHS post-neuter for him to calm down and lose the aggression towards other cats. Trying not long after his neuter is totally hopeless.

When I rescued my own feral tomcat, I put him in a big dog crate and he went ballistic! I had to let him out and once he was free in the room and could sit on the windowsill, he was okay. I would not have dreamed of allowing him near another male for many months afterwards. Now he is fine with all cats, as long as they are neutered!!:)

catsnatcher-CDN
March 1st, 2006, 04:44 PM
Any new updates on badger's and Inverness's rescue?

Inverness
March 1st, 2006, 06:33 PM
Hey, I haven't been very good with the updates, sorry about that !

OK, so the situation has changed a little... Toulouse turned out to be totally uncontrolable in his new home. He somehow managed to escape from his cage quite a number of times and has this tendency to attack other cats (which probably comes from having been beaten up really bad before)... it became a living hell for his poor adoptive mom... who still wanted the best for him... and so, well, Toulouse is now here with me... :rolleyes: As if I needed one more cat in my life ! :party:

For some unknown reason which one might think has to do with me being more assertive than his adoptive mom (I hope she will not read this !), Toulouse has been super quiet and calm here. He is still in his condo, but eating well, not bashing around on the cage sides and minding his own business with the other cats. Might be because he now feels a little outnumbered ! :crazy:

So this looks like a case of mandatory adoption for me... yet again ! :rolleyes:

We'll see what happens in the next few weeks. For sure, Toulouse is not coming out of his condo for a while. Not the best situation, but certainly better than starving in the cold... we'll just have to see how we can finally introduce him to a multi(very multi !)-cat household, if at all possible.

Our vet still wants to wait and see how his eye condition evolves before doing any surgery. She feels taking the eye out would be a very invasive surgery even though Toulouse has no sight left. We'll probably go with the entropion surgery for his comfort, if it's the best choice.

Thanks for thinking of him !

Here's a pic just taken tonight (I think I'll have to adopt him officially because Toulouse matches the wall colors):

He now turns on his back for belly rubs when I pet him... :love:

CyberKitten
March 1st, 2006, 06:46 PM
Awwwwwwwwww, in spite of his fiestiness, he looks like a real sweetheart!!! He will be fiesty - speaking of that - it'll take awhile. But as you say - he is better off inside, esp with these frigiid temps - not sure about Mtl but it is -16 or some ungodlt figure here, brrrrr!!! I passed a kitty on my way to work and he had a collar and name tag but I wondered what kind of family let their baby run loose like that in this weather (of is he was a stray) but he was not hurt and seemed OK. Anf there was a child with him but I still do not understand ppl letting out cats in below zero (and it was -27 around then). (I worried about the child too mind you, sigh!).

I just wonder what erye surgery is best for Touloose but then I am no eye vet - I have sometimes seen the eye taken out or one placed in for cosmetic reasons (for the people since cats really cope so much better than we do with those issues). He does seem to fir find in there Inverness. <g>

btw, Inverness- with a name like that - you did know our new Premier in NS is from Inverness? Mabou actually - same comunity as the Rankin Family and near Natalie MacMaster? Are you a Celtic fan? Is that where you get the name? And he (premier) is also a fiddler - he'd have to be, coming from there. Gawd, even I play the fiddle (albiet not so as one would want to hear it exactly, lol) But my grandfather (Irish tho, not Scottosh, lol) played it so I had to learn. :crazy:

Inverness
March 1st, 2006, 07:10 PM
Awwwwwwwwww, in spite of his fiestiness, he looks like a real sweetheart!!! He will be fiesty - speaking of that - it'll take awhile. But as you say - he is better off inside, esp with these frigiid temps - not sure about Mtl but it is -16 or some ungodlt figure here, brrrrr!!! I passed a kitty on my way to work and he had a collar and name tag but I wondered what kind of family let their baby run loose like that in this weather (of is he was a stray) but he was not hurt and seemed OK. Anf there was a child with him but I still do not understand ppl letting out cats in below zero (and it was -27 around then). (I worried about the child too mind you, sigh!).

I just wonder what erye surgery is best for Touloose but then I am no eye vet - I have sometimes seen the eye taken out or one placed in for cosmetic reasons (for the people since cats really cope so much better than we do with those issues). He does seem to fir find in there Inverness. <g>

btw, Inverness- with a name like that - you did know our new Premier in NS is from Inverness? Mabou actually - same comunity as the Rankin Family and near Natalie MacMaster? Are you a Celtic fan? Is that where you get the name? And he (premier) is also a fiddler - he'd have to be, coming from there. Gawd, even I play the fiddle (albiet not so as one would want to hear it exactly, lol) But my grandfather (Irish tho, not Scottosh, lol) played it so I had to learn. :crazy:

Brought the love for Inverness back from living in the UK for two years... :love:

And no, I don't play the fiddle, I play the tin whistle ! :p

badger
March 1st, 2006, 08:05 PM
Very naughty boy! But you're right about importance of being the alpha, Inverness. My cats get lots of cuddles and playtimes but I am always top dog (so to speak) and they know it!
It just might not have been the optimum situation for him, despite his foster mum's best efforts, although it is always a good idea to err on the side of caution when integrating. Takes me weeks, even if everything seems fine, in such a small space fights usually end badly.

jawert1
March 30th, 2006, 08:48 AM
Hey Inverness, how's Toulouse doing these days?

CyberKitten
March 30th, 2006, 01:01 PM
Ahh, the real Inverness for which the one in NS is named. I see, what whas it like?

How is the kitty doing? Any news on the eye?