Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Mysterious red spots on inside of dog's leg

StephanieH
February 10th, 2006, 01:09 PM
In the past few days, I've noticed some red spots on the inside of my dog's right leg, near the genital area. They look almost like small, dark, blood spots underneath the skin. There is one larger spot and then smaller pen-mark-sized spots surrounding. In all, I'd say there are about four spots total. They aren't raised, nor are they bleeding. They don't appear to be bothering or hurting him at all, and he doesn't pick at, or lick them. He is otherwise healthy. Still, I'm concerned. Should I take him to see our vet, or wait it out? What are they?
Thank you,
Stephanie

bethaliz
February 10th, 2006, 01:57 PM
Hi,

While I can not speak for certian as I can not see the dog, nor am I a vet, I would guess that it is nothing to be concerned about. Our male dog Stitches has 6 such black spots along his genital, three on each side. His father Bisuct also has them (5 in his case). According to the vet they are undeveloped nipples. From what we were told male dog develop excatly the same, including nipples, until gender is determined at that time the nipples stop. But can still leave little black spots. You may want to confirm that with your own vet at your annual check up, but from what we have been told, there is no cause for concern unless there are luppy, rises (which could be ticks) or if your dog is licking or biting at them.

Let me know if you learn anything different (always good to know to check ours too)

tulip
February 10th, 2006, 06:19 PM
If your pet was recently groomed, I've noticed that sometimes shaving there can leave such tiny red spots, but only when there were small matts or knots, as the blade tugs on them sometimes for a second before clipping them off. If they just recently appeared you should also check for fleas, this is their favorite place to bite, and that leaves little red marks too.

BMDLuver
February 10th, 2006, 06:22 PM
It can also be a sign of a compromized immune system as my Berner had. I would definitely have the vet check it out as treating it could be very minor but leaving it could result in it starting to show under the armpits as well.