Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Obedience classes?

rivers
February 10th, 2006, 08:44 AM
I am looking for info on obedience classes for my min.schnauzer. She is 6months. What are the ins and outs of these classes? I am not originaly from canada, so I am not sure how things work here.

Where and how do I go about finding these classes?
How much do they cost?
I assume they are indoors in winter?

StaceyB
February 10th, 2006, 08:47 AM
What area are you looking in. Someone may know of a place in your area.

Lissa
February 10th, 2006, 08:54 AM
You can check the yellow pages, speak with vets and talking with neighbouring and dog park owners. If possible, you can go to various trials in your area and speak with dog owner's "in the know"!! I would only go to a trainer who does positive reinforcemnt - and you need to be careful because ads can be deceiving.

You have every right to go and watch a trainer's class before you commit.

They cost really does depend on where you are, how many trainer's are in the area and how good your trainer is. I've paid anywhere from $65 (for a pre-agility class) to $200 for intermediate obedience. My current trainer and the best training school I have ever been to charges $95 for most of her classes (but some of them are up to $130 - generally the cost goes down as you advance)

The classes are indoors in the winter - unless you are wanting to do something different; one of my trainer's offered a "reality dog training" course where you met around the city for your classes (even in the winter!).

Good luck with your training!;)

rivers
February 10th, 2006, 08:56 AM
I am in Halton Hills area, Ontario. We would be starting at a beginners level.

Writing4Fun
February 10th, 2006, 09:08 AM
What are the ins and outs of these classes?
Usually, your pup will had to have had their first and second sets of shots, at minimum. Since your pup is 6 months old, I wouldn't worry about much else. If a dog is older with established behavioural issues, the instructor might want to do an independent evaluation (to check for undue dog agression, etc...). Like I said, though, your pup is pretty young so they'll probably just enroll you in a puppy class.
Where and how do I go about finding these classes?
You can start with your vet to see if they can recommend anyone. If not, ask other dog owners in your area - make sure you ask the people whose dogs are well-behaved. ;)
How much do they cost? I agree with Lissa that the cost varies but my experience has been in the $100 range for basic obedience (give or take $10 either way)
I assume they are indoors in winter?
They're usually indoors regardless of the season, but like Lissa said, some of the more advanced groups will take it outdoors for added distractions.

StaceyB
February 10th, 2006, 11:53 AM
With the age of your pup you will probably no longer be able to enter a puppy class but a basic level.

Find out exactly what they cover and definitely go and watch their classes before you enroll if you can and ask around at work as well as friends and family, vet, groomer to see what they say about the different facilities.

Prices will depend on where you are located, competition, experience, etc.

Bearsmom
February 10th, 2006, 03:09 PM
I take our guy to Wolfman K9 obedience, he's at Winston Churchill BV and Old School Road in Caledon/Georgetown (no, I could never figure that one out either), he's the best trainer I've ever taken our guy to! PM me if you want any further info.

PetFriendly
February 10th, 2006, 06:25 PM
Good on you for taking the pup to training. You'll have a great time, as will the pup. You'll also really like the comments about how well behaved your small dog is, or how well behaved you dog is for a puppy.. You get the idea.

One place you can also call the nearest Humane Society for a reference. And you can check with the better business bureau for complaints.

Make sure you like the trainer and their technique. But also make sure that the technique works for your dog. Its been my experience that a trainer that requires you to use a choke chain or prong collar, even if the dog is easy going and eager to please, is not the trainer you want.

Since your pup is small in size (and always will be) you might want to ask how many small dogs the trainer has trained. Again, in my experience, if they say 'it doesn't matter' that might not be the right trainer (lets face it, while small dogs can do anything big dogs can, teaching them to do so is a little different when you can't stay standing up straight and pet them on the head ;) ).

You'll also want a trainer that smiles very very often. Dogs pick up on moods, and it might affect the dogs ability to concentrate if the trainer isn't pleasant.

StaceyB
February 10th, 2006, 08:41 PM
Am I smiles all the time.

yoda900_ca
February 10th, 2006, 11:16 PM
i just waned to add find a trainer that does balanced training. Their are some trainers out there who rely heavily on treats or clickers or other "gimmicks". My experience is that treat are great when starting to teach a new command but it should be your praise so the dog learns to respect and work for u not the food. Beside I don't always have a mother hubbard cookie in my pocket:D

PetFriendly
February 11th, 2006, 12:51 PM
Am I smiles all the time.

Charley gets nothing but good vibes and smiles from you!

rivers
February 12th, 2006, 09:11 AM
I take our guy to Wolfman K9 obedience, he's at Winston Churchill BV and Old School Road in Caledon/Georgetown (no, I could never figure that one out either), he's the best trainer I've ever taken our guy to! PM me if you want any further info.

I had a look at their website. It looks pretty impressive. Do you attend the puppy party's? Looks like fun, organised chaos!

Am I correct in assuming the classes run for 4-6 months, and I can pop in anytime during the day, no set timed classes?

Do you have an idea what the cost is?

I have emailed them for info, I just thought I would get your opinion too.