Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

hi all im new and need opinions.

harley_elvira
February 10th, 2006, 02:08 AM
Hi all I have a shih-zhu named harley and she has a very bad skin condition. She breaks out into sores and bites at them. Red raw like skin from the middle of her back down to her butt appears. I have been to the vet about this but I dont think they know anymore than I do, I am asking so I can get her some relief, she's my best friend and I can't stand it any longer.:sad:

Also I am proud to be a part of the group now.;)

Prin
February 10th, 2006, 02:26 AM
Welcome to the board! I'm sorry for your troubles. Mind if I ask what you've tried so far?

Lucky Rescue
February 10th, 2006, 09:13 AM
HI and welcome!:)

What are you feeding your dog? That can make a huge difference with allergies and skin problems.

bethaliz
February 10th, 2006, 12:49 PM
I"m sorry to hear about your dog. We have a family of Shih Tzu's, Everyone in my family owns one or two, or four in the case of my aunt. As you can tell we love them! we recently went through excatly what your going through. There are two things we found out. One of the dogs this issue was related to seasonal type allergies. Three of the others had food related allergies. We have found out (through a VERY long process) that all of the dogs have, in varing degrees, allergies to wheat. Also two of those three dogs also have poultry related food allergies. The switched all the dogs to a food called ZED from the vet which cleared thier systems of the allergen foods and put them on the only wheat and poultry free food on the market, Nutro's Lamb and Rice. We are still having trouble with one dog. While we have reduced the concerns drasticly with the changes she still breaks out from time to time. The others do as well, but we know what it's from. (ie when my dog was breed the breeder for got and put her on puppy food with chicken, You do not want to know how bad that turned out. Poor baby). I hope the information helps. each dog is different, but we found this worked in general for all of the dogs with these issues.

tulip
February 10th, 2006, 06:07 PM
My shihtzu is allergic to wheat too!!! And my dad's is allergic to chicken. I'd say about 80% of the 'tzus I see have food and/or seasonal allergies. Food allergies tend to show up on the lower back, in the form of sores or scabs. or even pimple-like sores that burst and scab over, like my dad's dog. We both make our dog's food so they won't be exposed to any allergens. BTW, my 'tzu gets itchy if she eats anything that's been processed, so she can't even have cookies or liver treats. BUT she does ok on the human-grade dried fish.
Hope that helps you.

harley_elvira
February 10th, 2006, 09:32 PM
thank you all for your fast reply's to answer what i have tried to help her.....well we've been to the vet 3 times for allergy shots and blood samples, and they gave me Temaril-p tablets for her to take, i also bought special shampoos for her as far as her diet she's been eating iam's adult dog food plus what we eat.... ok ok i know i can't help it when i eat and she's looking at me with that look that will melt your heart i can't help it. also i give her vitamins i bought at the vet. well thats all i can think of right this minute if anyone sees a big no no here let me know.

jawert1
February 10th, 2006, 11:37 PM
hey harley_elvira, you may want to rethink the Iams. Depending on what you're giving her from the table, the Iams is *less* healthy than that. Check out the dog food forum here for some more ideas on what better food are out there, or just wait until Prin or techpuppy read this - Prin's the food guru and techpuppy is the raw diet guru :) the Iams may be what's doing it.

Prin
February 11th, 2006, 03:40 AM
The switched all the dogs to a food called ZED from the vet which cleared thier systems of the allergen foods and put them on the only wheat and poultry free food on the market, Nutro's Lamb and Rice.Sorry, I don't mean to pick on you, but Nutro is definitely not the only wheat and poultry free food on the market. There are literally dozens out there that are even better than Nutro.

Personally, I feed Solid Gold Wolf King. It's bison and salmon, with no wheat or poultry (I have two dogs and each can't tolerate one). Check it out: Solid Gold Wolf King (http://www.solidgoldhealth.com/products/showproduct.php?id=62&code=170)

As for food suggestions, fishy foods tend to help the coat, as do Omega-3 supplements, but to get the full effect on the skin and the dog's overall health, you need more than a supplement.;) Iams is not a great food at all, and since your doggy is little, switching up shouldn't break your bank account. It would actually help out the doggy in so many ways because Iams, being full of fillers, takes more quantity to nourish a little doggy than a higher quality food without fillers (i.e. you wouldn't feed as much). If you're really rich ;), you can look into feeding canned food too. Bad food can definitely cause relentless itching. Good food really helps get the coat and the skin healthier and more comfortable.

Here are a couple to look at.
Solid Gold Just a Wee bit (http://www.solidgoldhealth.com/products/showproduct.php?id=68&code=140) This is the salmon and bison food made for little dogs. There are more calories per cup in this one than in the other formulas Solid Gold makes so you don't have to feed your dog's weight in kibble every day.
Wellness Fish and Sweet Potato (http://www.omhpet.com/dogs/wellness_detail.asp?pCode=dryDogSup5MixSwtPot) This is also a good one, but get samples of it first because some dogs don't like Wellness.
Dick Van Patten's Fish and Sweet Potato (http://www.naturalbalanceinc.com/dogformulas/SPFish.html) This one is loaded with fishy goodness too.

For canned, look at the Wellness site again, and Merrick:
Merrick Canned (http://www.merrickpetcare.com/store/canned_dog_food.php) Their food is so tasty looking. It's like human food in a can... But it's about $3 a can, so it's pretty costly.

bethaliz
February 11th, 2006, 10:57 AM
First suggestion get your poor puppy off of IAMS. That's a terrible food, it causes a lot of trouble other than just spots and sores.

I can tell you with almost 100% certianty that the food is what's causing the trouble. We noticed the change almost immediatly when we switched. So try it and let us know how it does. Look for a food that has no wheat.

[QUOTE=Prin]Sorry, I don't mean to pick on you, but Nutro is definitely not the only wheat and poultry free food on the market. There are literally dozens out there that are even better than Nutro.

I would just like to comment that in my area we have looked at every food available and Nutro is the only one we can get. I have never seen Solid Gold Wolf King. I"ll keep my eye out.

The point anyway is that the food your dog is on, is most likely the cause. I can't promise it, but that was the case with ALL 8 of our families dogs

Prin
February 11th, 2006, 12:54 PM
The other three fishy foods I listed also have no wheat or poultry, as do a few foods from Timberwolf organics, but in my experience TO is hard to find, especially in Canada. They make a food that would be great for allergies- it's just fish and seaweed called Ocean Blue. But I haven't found it anywhere. Timberwolf Organics (www.timberwolforganics.com)

harley_elvira
February 11th, 2006, 06:09 PM
hi all i will switch her food, and see how that works out about how long will it take for me to notice a difference. also what about that dog foof science diet is that any good i have heard things about it but never tried it. oh and i will put a picture of harley on my profile if i can if not if you want to see her let me know. thanks all you been great.:)

jawert1
February 11th, 2006, 06:12 PM
science diet isn't any good, unfortunately though, most vets will push it on patients.

coppperbelle
February 11th, 2006, 07:26 PM
Definitely stay away from the Science Diet. The ingredients will not help if your pup has allergies.

Prin
February 11th, 2006, 07:27 PM
Definitely not Science diet. Look at the ingredients on the bag. If ANY are the same as what you are feeding, you won't get to the bottom of this problem.

PetFriendly
February 12th, 2006, 06:53 PM
My shih tzu mutt has issues with corn (probably more but I'm sure abouy the corn).

Just read the package and see what ingredients are listed, so far you know what you need to stay away from so just keep reading until you find something thaty's right. A good way to start is by not looking at any brands that are sold in grocery stores (they have preservatives in them to prolong shelf live).
Smaller pet stores that do not seel animals are a good place to start. i've foudn that Petsmart, while being really big, doesn't really have many brands to choose from. I've had better luck finding choices at smaller stores like PetValu and Berry's.

There's a whole section on this website about food, you should ckeck it out, I know I did and the tear stains on my dog are slowly going away!

Shaykeija
February 13th, 2006, 12:25 AM
Sophie my Shih Tzhu had the worse case of itchies. She chewed herself bald. i put her on Dick Van Pattens Duck and Potato and when we gave her a bath I left her conditioner on for a half hour. I also spayed an anti itch spray on her and fed he Omega oils. She is now itch free and has a beautiful coat. One question, how often do you bath her? She could also have a bad case of dry coat. Let us know how she makes out.