Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Pooper scooping duty a rant

Joey.E.CockersMommy
February 9th, 2006, 08:37 PM
Rant - Okay I am always the one to pooper scoop the yard - So I did it about two weeks ago and with snow and stuff it hasnt been done since then. I try and do it once a week - and for the most part Joey does his business on his walks.
So yesterday - I spent the whole day cleaning the house from top to bottom as my sister is coming into town - I also want her to look at my yard as she does landscaping and she is going to give me some ideas. Except I am going to be embarrased if she sees that we've landmines in the backyard.

So I asked my hubby to do it once - and you think I was asking him to lay in a coffin with rats and worms or something. Oh I cant do it - it just grosses me out - its gonna make me sick.- :mad: I get home when its dark - and I leave at 5:45 am when its dark - hes home all day and doesnt go to work until 5pm. So it would make sense that he does it - but no I do it on my days off - and never complain - so the one time I ask him hes acting like a little spoiled princess. GRRRRRRR no action for him for a while.

So I sent him an email saying he had to do it I dont care if he pays somebody I just want it cleaned up by Sunday - its not even that bad it would take him like 10 minutes. Why cant he just do this one thing. Grr and grr again. :evil:

jesse's mommy
February 9th, 2006, 08:53 PM
Are your hubby and my Jimmy related?

Joey.E.CockersMommy
February 9th, 2006, 09:08 PM
Jim doesnt like pooper scooping either - its just poo - whats the big deal. :eek:

as I remember hubby tried anything to get out of the diaper changing days too.

Prin
February 9th, 2006, 11:03 PM
Hmmm... I shouldn't complain about my guy ever again then right? He says that when I argue, every load I pick up turns into three compared to the ones he picks up. :o He's good though. He never says it's gross, just that it's my turn.

Rick C
February 10th, 2006, 12:56 AM
Tell him you know a GUY who scoops - shovels actually - four acres of poop and NEVER complains and NEVER asks anyone else to do it.

It's a dooty.

Or . . . . just tell him you'll think he's a lesser man if he doesn't.

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca

Prin
February 10th, 2006, 01:05 AM
ooo Rick C's gonna be a hit with the ladies...:highfive:

Joey.E.CockersMommy
February 10th, 2006, 08:05 AM
Rick =

Tell him you know a GUY who scoops - shovels actually - four acres of poop and NEVER complains and NEVER asks anyone else to do it.

It's a dooty.

I will be shipping my husband to you - he should arrive in a big crate - with shovel in hand to help you out. Once he realises hes gotta clean your four acres and two dogs poops - compared to our 1/8 of an acre and dog poop - he'll realise he has it pretty good.

catsnatcher-CDN
February 10th, 2006, 08:14 AM

It's a dooty.

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca

Rick,

That's the most effective pick up line I've ever heard. If it ever doesn't work out with your wife, you let me know! :D

chico2
February 10th, 2006, 08:14 AM
I am sure there is something about men(except Rick!) and poops or kitty/doggy throwups:evil: My husband will not even carry the poop-bag when we take Bailey out,much less pick it up!
Litterboxes,he won't even go near them,even though I tell him the kitty-poop is just like 'shake and bake'you can't even see that it's poop.
He will call me no matter what I am doing with"Rocky threw up!"and he'll be gagging and holding his nose:D oh well,wifie to the rescue!!

Joey.E.CockersMommy
February 10th, 2006, 08:20 AM
Hubby will clean up after Joey on his walks only if I am not with him and he has absolutely no other choice - but he likes to make a joke of it- he says " my wife will be along in a minute to clean that up" :evil:

joeysmama
February 10th, 2006, 08:32 AM
My husband would like to thank all of your husbands for making him look good. ;)

Tom is really great about picking up the poopie. (He was good with diapers too. ) Every morning he does the poopie walk and picks up the yard from the day before.

But my dad--who was the most helpful husband I've ever known, did not do diapers. He would shop and clean and take care of the kids, anything my mother needed from him was fine. But would retch and gag if he opened a diaper that was stinky.

And this guy was tough. He was a Marine and told stories of how they would never leave another soldier behind if they could retrieve the body, even those that had been there a while. You know that had to be a gruesome and smelly task.

And I can remember my brothers getting really sick in a wicker basket (um maybe they'd been drinking ???:party: ) and my dad wiped it up without flinching. It was gross and putrid and no one wanted to go in but it didn't bother him at all.

But a little baby poo and he turned into a weenie.

rivers
February 10th, 2006, 09:06 AM
I am new to the poop-scoop duty. You can tell hubby it is much better to be doing it now than when the snow melts. I noticed picking up poop in the snow is actually MUCH easier. It is easier to spot than searching in the grass or mud, and as you scoop, the snow comes with it all nice and 'neat' :D
Added bonus is the snow keeps the scoop clean.

I have 2 children, one is 4, but now and again he demands I help him in the loo. The other is still in diapers. One day I refused to help the 4 year old, saying he is old enough to do it himself.
It started a tantrum...on my side, and I yelled 'I wipe everyones bum in this house, myself, my 2 year old, my 4 year old AND I pick up the dog poop, the only bum I don't wipe is my husband!'
My hubby just looked at me, realisation creeping onto his face, and burst out laughing. It was rather funny. I have had no help with the poop in this family since birth or puppyhood!
:D

Writing4Fun
February 10th, 2006, 10:22 AM
Ladies of the Poop - Unite! We need a logo - a crest shaped like a plastic shopping bag with a pair of crossed shovels and a big pile of poop in the middle. Raingirl, can you get your BF working on that for us? :D :clown: Honestly, what is it with men and poop?! You'd think they never saw it before! My husband will change a diaper once in a while when he's feeling guilty, but I hear about it the whole time. "Oh my God! What are we feeding this kid?! This is disgusting! Aw, Ugh! I'm gonna puke!" and on and on it goes until he finally disposes of the thing - holding it ar arm's length like it's some sort of toxic waste, and then he continues complaining about it for the next half hour. I swear it's easier just to do it myself - gee, you think that's his plan all along? :rolleyes: Dog poop? That's why we got the house with the massive yard. I'm not fond of picking it up in the spring either, mainly because I'm lazy :p and also I don't see the purpose of taking an organic material that'll decompose in a few days and putting it in a little plastic bag. The dog has learned to poop in selected spots far from human habitation, and then hubby just runs it all over with the lawn tractor. Instant fertilizer. :D Since we're on a septic system, that's where all the poo in the house ends up anyway. ;)

jessi76
February 10th, 2006, 10:55 AM
ironically, my bf put "pooper scooper" on his xmas list - so of course, Santa brought him one. We take turns for poop-patrole - mainly because neither of us wants to step in it.

the litter boxes are a whole 'nother issue. my bf won't go near them. I think in all the years we've lived together, with cats, he's done it mabye once or twice. Honestly, I'd rather do it myself, because then it gets DONE, if I waited for him to scoop, the cats would be "going" in my floor plants.

as for the other nasties.... kitty barf - he's good about that, cleans it up quick - usually because he's just stepped in it in bare feet.... as I'm laughing hysterically. Dead things.... those unfortunate mice, moles, and chipmunks that lost the battle with one of my cats... I don't DO dead things, so I put cups or cans over them and wait for him to dispose of the body.

jjgeonerd
February 10th, 2006, 11:26 AM
My wife won't pick up poo unless it's on a walk and I'm not there. It makes her gag...I'm not sure if its an act or not :evil: ...probably not. So I just do it. It sucks. :(

Worse...we have the 2 dogs and it rains a lot...so it stays gooey (I know gross). Emma seems to have a poo magnet on her feet, so I have to pick it up every morning so she doesn't step in it and track it in the house (not always successful). Lovely. Since it gets light at 8:30am and dark at 4:30pm in the winter I have to pick it up by flashlight all winter. Lovely. :(

Finally it is starting to get light earlier now so the flashlight days are numbered! :D

Rick C
February 10th, 2006, 11:53 AM
ironically, my bf put "pooper scooper" on his xmas list - so of course, Santa brought him one. We take turns for poop-patrole - mainly because neither of us wants to step in it.

the litter boxes are a whole 'nother issue. my bf won't go near them. I think in all the years we've lived together, with cats, he's done it mabye once or twice. Honestly, I'd rather do it myself, because then it gets DONE, if I waited for him to scoop, the cats would be "going" in my floor plants.

as for the other nasties.... kitty barf - he's good about that, cleans it up quick - usually because he's just stepped in it in bare feet.... as I'm laughing hysterically. Dead things.... those unfortunate mice, moles, and chipmunks that lost the battle with one of my cats... I don't DO dead things, so I put cups or cans over them and wait for him to dispose of the body.

I'm not good about kitty barf.

I confess that in the gloom of the early morning as I'm treading in my suit around the house prepping to leave for work, with Mrs. C still soundly snoring upstairs, I might occasionally spy kitty puke on the floor, on the counter or some other place, curl my lip up in disgust and pretend it doesn't exist . . . . . grandly walking out the door to kill the food we'll need that night but leaving the kitty puke for her to find.

But I do shovel dog poop without prompting. And on four acres, you do need a shovel. Fortunately, surrounded by farmland, its just a heave-ho over the fence, joining the other poop from horses, cows, deer, elk, coyotes, etc, etc. Just make sure you're heaving downwind. Getting a pile of it back in your face isn't pleasant.

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca

Prin
February 10th, 2006, 12:10 PM
I do everything except when dogs eat and throw up human food. (I'm a human puke-o-phobic). Once Boo ate a bulk-sized box of Oreos and threw up black disgusting oreos for a few hours. It was so disgusting and I love my man forever for taking care of Boo that time. I'm never eating oreos ever again. EVER.

Luvmypit
February 10th, 2006, 01:48 PM
I am a gager. I can clean it up but my BF does it 98% of the time. Puke - gag! I cannot stand any form of puke except for the yellow bile that dogs throw up. If it contains any chunks or food or whatever... not touching it.

My BF is so good at cleaning his daughters throw up and the dogs. I guess Im lucky!

BernerLver
February 10th, 2006, 09:23 PM
I'm very lucky. My hubby is really good about sharing the 'scooping duties. We are lucky though since our fence hasn't been built yet we don't have a yard to clean up as Bailey goes on his walks.

When we first got Bailey picking up poop totally grossed me out as did everything else but now I am totally desensitized to it. Just point me in the direction of the bodily function and I will clean it up! :D

For all those hubby's and BF's who turn their noses up in disgust at poop, I would suggest that they reserve judgment until they have had to use the bathroom after they have done their business :yuck: Certainly doesn't smell like roses in our house.

Prin
February 11th, 2006, 03:34 AM
I don't know if this is a threadjack or not, but how do you react if there is a hole in the bag and you accidentally get some on you?

Personally, I freak out... I go into an internal dialog: it washes off... it washes off... it washes off...:o :D

jesse's mommy
February 11th, 2006, 06:51 AM
Jim absolutely hates it so I've tried to make a deal. When we go for walks I will clean it up. I hate to admit this, but he is one of those people who runs after Jesse does it and hopes no one sees he left them a present on their lawn -- this is why we now walk together because I think this is unacceptable. So anyway, I clean it on walks and he cleans it in our yard. Unfortunately he really isn't good at cleaning up the yard. His idea is let the grass grow a little and mow over it to spread it out like fertilizer. :o (I never said it was a pretty story!) I do love him, but he really does drive me batty!

mummummum
February 11th, 2006, 12:23 PM
And on four acres, you do need a shovel. Fortunately, surrounded by farmland, its just a heave-ho over the fence, joining the other poop from horses, cows, deer, elk, coyotes, etc, etc. Just make sure you're heaving downwind. Getting a pile of it back in your face isn't pleasant.

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca

When I was a farmgrrrrl come winter, we would purposefully lay down about 6 inches of manure in each stall in the stables for insulation on the unheated cement floor. Then with spring thaw we would have to roll out huge wagon-wheels of poop to the manure pile:party: ! Oh those kids today with their gameboys and nintendo - they don't know the meaning of fun! :D

Iggette
February 17th, 2006, 07:17 AM
Pooper picker upper, yup done it many times but fortunatly for me, my son is living with me so he helps! I'm sure he will be a diaper changer when the time comes!

But unfortunatly the job is all mine as he is moving to Alberta March 1st:(