Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Pitbull shot

wdawson
February 9th, 2006, 05:33 PM
Well it looks like our bullies are in the headlines again ( atleast in hamilton )

Seems police have killed one of two pits during a raid on a well known drug house and the site of numerous murders , the dog lunged at police , i know that any dog raised in this enviroment will attack , i just wish this was another breed , because we don't need anymore negative publicity , can't wait to see the front page of the hamilton spectator in the morning.

pit bull attacks police, vicous pit bull shot during drug raid.:eek:

I watched this on the six o clock news while being attacked by my pits killer wet tongue:D

babyrocky1
February 9th, 2006, 07:15 PM
Poor pitties, but this really only goes to prove our side, irresponsible and in this case criminal owners are the cause of the poroblem. Hopefully the papers will get that part, if not, well the old letter writing team can jump into action as far as letters to the editor. It never seems to end:mad:

wdawson
February 9th, 2006, 07:33 PM
i'll post the headline in the morning....i hope your right on proving that criminals and bad owners are the problem........negetive press is negative press in the majority of people or in my opinion we would not be in this position to start with.

papillonmama
February 9th, 2006, 07:56 PM
I'm sure any dog in this position would lunge to protect their owner from someone breaking down the door. The fact is that police only have a split second to assess the situation and a seemingly aggressive pit bull is no longer treated the same as any other dog, where at any other time the police would call AC to take the dog to be assessed to see if it truly is aggressive or if the dog is okay, now they can just shoot them. It's sad that it was a pitbull, I wonder what the situation would have been, if it was some other breed. Probably not even news worthy.

wdawson
February 9th, 2006, 08:32 PM
i agree that the police need to use this type of force in some cases...my problem is with the media making it more about the pit , rather than the reason they where there to start with.....ch news , in my opinion , pushed the pit bull angle of the story more than the 8-10 people arrested for drugs.

babyrocky1
February 9th, 2006, 09:05 PM
i agree that the police need to use this type of force in some cases...my problem is with the media making it more about the pit , rather than the reason they where there to start with.....ch news , in my opinion , pushed the pit bull angle of the story more than the 8-10 people arrested for drugs.I guess that there already taking their stance, making it about a "vicous pit bull" I mean, discusting! And yes that is the kind of reporting that got us to where we are today, and the pit bull that didn't get shot will definately be put down. In the kinds of laws that we proposed, the criminals would be banned from owning dogs or pets for that matter, thats were the responsibility lies. Its so frustarating that even after the ban this kind of sensationalised pittie stuff is still going on, I guess the readers find that more interesting than the drug dealers.:mad:

twodogsandacat
February 9th, 2006, 10:02 PM
It’s a shame but of course a child whom is brought up in that enviroment would also stand little chance.

There is a new TV show called “Dallas SWAT” which is a COPS like show but it follows the daily lifes of SWAT team members. They recently raided a home looking for a suspect. They opened the door and were met by a pit bull. The officer said "c’mon boy" and the dog stepped out and they entered. As the filming continued the dog was wandering around the apartment. Real professionals. The dog left them alone, they left the dog alone. Of course having a film crew on your butt probably keeps you in line too.

If the dog lunged at an officer what else is to be expected I guess. Another criminal with a pit bull, go figure. I’m more scared of the criminals with guns.

mona_b
February 9th, 2006, 10:28 PM
Well I just watched it on the news.Got home just in time for it.

ch news , in my opinion , pushed the pit bull angle of the story more than the 8-10 people arrested for drugs.

I actually didn't see it that way..They started with the arrest of 11 people in a raid,the drugs and money and "after" all that they mentioned that one of two Pitties were shot.And that was it.That's how they ended it.

papillonmama,I just want to clarify something for you.The situation would have been the same if it wasn't a Pitty...It could have been a GSD,Rottie,Dobe,Lab or even a Great Dane.And yes it would have still made the papers.And why would that be?Because they were covering a story on a raid.

mona_b
February 10th, 2006, 07:36 AM
Well looks like the Spec didn't make a huge deal because it was a Pitty.

http://www.hamiltonspectator.com/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?pagename=hamilton/Layout/Article_Type1&c=Article&cid=1139526652672&call_pageid=1020420665036&col=1014656511815

The whole story is focused on the raid,not the shooting of the Pit.

Mom_Of_Two_Dogs
February 10th, 2006, 10:48 AM
I wouldn't be surprised if those dogs were abused :( They are the real victims, they didn't ask to be used as weapons by morons.

Luvmypit
February 10th, 2006, 12:36 PM
Mona absolutly no offence directed at the police as I couldn't blame them for reacting differently to a pit bull then a lab in a criminal enviroment but to say that police in no way have a bias. I think that is more a personal opinion for yourself but I don't think you can speak for all police. I mean the former cheif of police (TO)helped in closing the casket on pit bulls. He alone said they were a problem in the commitee hearings. If he truly didn't have a bias then he would have took the anti-bsl side in stating that all dogs are potentially dangerous in a criminal aspect. Although that may be a bad example as Mr. Fantino shortly thereafter landed a political role right along side Mr. Bryant.

But I still believe they have a bias and rightfully so IMO. If you have a scottish terrier in a house as opposed to a pit you will approach more cautiously.

Luvmypit
February 10th, 2006, 03:13 PM
Mona I reread what you said and you were talking about why it was in the papers not the police bias in regards to breeds.

Sorry about that!

babyrocky1
February 10th, 2006, 04:10 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if those dogs were abused :( They are the real victims, they didn't ask to be used as weapons by morons.Exactly!:mad:

wdawson
February 10th, 2006, 06:03 PM
i'm thankfull the spec made hardly a mention and made it more about the crimes being commited in that hell hole of a building....sure hope they can close that place down once and for all....the only downside to that is they will move elsewhere.....i hope its not in my direction:eek:

mona_b
February 10th, 2006, 06:27 PM
Mona I reread what you said and you were talking about why it was in the papers not the police bias in regards to breeds.

Sorry about that!

That's ok.......:)

wdawson,it's becoming to much now.......:evil: ..And yes,they will move elsewhere.

It truley breaks my heart when a dog has to be shot.And trust me,we don't like to do it......:sad: