Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

What's so good about your breed?

Prin
February 8th, 2006, 11:47 PM
You know when people cringe and say: "Why would anybody want that breed of dog?" I thought I would ask about your favorite breeds. What breed characteristics make you love your breed and consider another one?

I know with my dobie, it was the loyalty, softness, eager to please and the protection. They're such gentle spirits who only want to do what is best for you. They mean so well, but if you are a crappy person, they'll reflect that. They're calm and gentle.

With yellow labs, they're just happy. No matter what they have been through, they always manage to have this naive excitement about them. They're the person with the smile that lights up a room. The energy despite arthritis and any other pain. The devotion to their owner and unconditional love is also pretty amazing..

I have so many... Anybody want to defend their breed? :)

Shamrock
February 9th, 2006, 12:35 AM
Prin, yes. there are so many fabulous attributes to all the breeds.

Though I was looking a small adult rescue of mixed breed and about 20 pounds or so, I wound up a with six pound Poodle.

I think that the one misconception people have about the tiny toy breeds is that they are "fluff" dogs.. some view them all as spoiled, ill-mannered yappers without the "substance" of their larger counterparts.

A doggie stereotype.;)

The toy breeds are every bit as loyal, devoted and protective as larger dogs. Course their size prohibits them from being able to "provide" much personal protection.
Being small doesnt automatically equate with pampered or ultra-fragile. I see Percy as being quite hearty and robust. And he fits nicely on my lap too.:D

As for other breeds. I've always personally had a special love for the GSD.
Its what I grew up with... and I've always greatly admired them.

BMDLuver
February 9th, 2006, 06:08 AM
Berners all the way Baby! :p

Pros: Because they are gentle souls, fantastic with kids, protectors of family and just so absolutely gorgeous.

Cons: Worlds biggest hairbags.

doggy lover
February 9th, 2006, 08:55 AM
BMD I with you too. Although my last dog was a cross he had all that in him, and yes the shedding in the spring is not something I really miss.

I also love border collies too, for their activity level, they just keep on ticking, their brains always thinking of what to do next, they are loyal until someone new comes along to meet. No really Tucker is a very loving dog that enjoys LONG walks and lots of play. He is eager to learn and will do almost anything you ask him too, you have to keep their minds busy or they find their own thing to do which can be bad. Not a dog that I would recomend to everyone though.

Lise
February 9th, 2006, 11:15 AM
I love collies bearded and rough.Nell my rough is the most incredible loyal girl out of all my girls she's the only one who will stay with me while I take care of the outside gang no matter how cold or miserable it is.Tess my beardie is fun no matter what she is a bouncing happy goof(even at 12) she loves everyone.Both of them learn fast and make training a lot of fun.Both very high energy and lots of grooming.My cairn Molly is opposite as far as me training her(absolutely brilliant if you have cookies otherwise ,well)but she is a loyal fun little girl.All of them enjoy recreational barking.

jessi76
February 9th, 2006, 12:45 PM
I've had Tucker for just under a year now, and although he's a mix, he exhibits many characteristics of a pure Basenji. They're smart little imps!

I think my favorite characteristic is their ability to really THINK - a basenji has a mind of his own, knows how to use it, and lives to challenge you. They are trainable, but will really only obey if it's in their best interest. however, when a basenji loves you, it's HIS idea....there's no blind following.

phoenix
February 9th, 2006, 12:53 PM
I have 2 favorites... of course i am generalizing from my own pups:

Black labs: loyal, will do anything for you to play with them, kind, happy at the cottage swimming!! Mine always have had to have something in their mouths at all times. Easy easy easy to train.

Boxers: they can express joy like no other- wiggles, noises and kidney beans! also great at giving kisses. Happy running around, equally happy cuddling on the couch. (but training? what's that?! :evil: hehe).

All types of dogs are GREAT though!!! They just have to fit into your lifestyle!:thumbs up

Writing4Fun
February 9th, 2006, 02:37 PM
Boxers! There's a dog that can express sheer ecstasy with their entire body.

Berners! Beauty, brains, brawn - they've got it all! But OH MY GAWD that fur! My sister's dog is part Berner, and she has to brush her carpets regularly. There's nothing that works like a brush - no vacuum can pull that fur out of the carpets. He's worth every cramp, though. She just wishes her house came with black carpets instead of beige. :D

My girl is a BC/GSD mix. I've learned to respect that BC intelligence, boy howdy! Luckily, the GSD tempers the drive to "do something - anything!" :D But I really love the look in her eye when she's "working" (obedience, agility, herding my sister's dog ... whatever). She gets so intense - and you can tell that she really loves it, too. :love:

BernerLver
February 9th, 2006, 02:41 PM
Berners all the way Baby! :p

Pros: Because the are gentle souls, fantastic with kids, protectors of family and just so absolutely gorgeous.

Cons: Worlds biggest hairbags.

Ditto! If I went a day without pulling Berner hair out of my mouth, food, off my clothing etc. things wouldn't seem right with the world :D

Jackie467
February 9th, 2006, 03:26 PM
I love Italian greyhounds. All they want to do is cuddle and play. They play hard when you want to but settle down as soon as you do and cuddle on your lap, they really don't shed at all (although they really don't have much hair so they have to have sweaters even when it's 65 out), they have to be with you all the time even if it's just laying on the floor next to your chair, and they don't really yap at all and have the personality of a big dog only in a smaller package.

Luvmypit
February 9th, 2006, 04:02 PM
I love Border Collies too! I had one named max and boy was he hands down the smartest dog I have ever known.

But ofcourse you saw this coming... Pit bulls. From someone who was wary about these dogs I have done a complete 360. One main thing is that they are and any owner of this breed can attest to are such clowns! They actually have a good sense of humour. For a while I thought is this dog joking with me? NO can't be true but they really do. Loving and loyal to say the least. Capone will kiss you all over if you even think of crying. Affectionate, cuddles with you like no dog I have ever known. He will sit on your lap (they think they are lap dogs) and adoringly look backwards like 'hey there owner just saying I love you'. They will sit beside you on the couch and lean over to rest there head on your shoulder. Great with kids - Capone is the king of kids, loves them and lets them do whatever there little hearts desire. They have a high pain threshold and can take the little ones poking, prodding and sitting on him, pulling his ear and he just sits there tail wagging. Ofocurse we don't let the kids do that but it happens. Hes strong and certainly is protective for just being a pit bull although I am not sure if he truly is any good at defending a house as he greets every guess with a sloppy kiss and begs for someone to pet him.

Oh and not to forget those wiggle bums. They wag there tail so hard that if they even look behind them they hit themselves in the face.... His whole body moves with that tail.

Thats my ode to the pit bull...

Beaglemom
February 9th, 2006, 04:15 PM
I believe that all dogs have great qualities.

Beagles are absolutely adorable! I love their independence, their curiosity, playfulness, voice, energy. I could go on! I love the way Misty expresses her joy at seeing us come home, even if we just stepped out for 5 minutes. Her tail is constantly acting as a helicopter! I'm surprised she hasn't taken flight yet! I love their puppy expressions, even as adults. They are wonderful problem solvers, especially when trying to figure out how to get that really nice piece of meat that is on the counter or on your plate! She is independent but at the same time loves to be with you. They are great with kids and other animals. (As long as they are not hunting!) I also have to mention her persistence! Boy can she be very persistant when there is something that she wants even if it is only your attention! She is always in a good mood and is extremely playful!

I also love whippets and all other sighthounds! I love their joy at being everywhere that you are, known as the velcro dogs of the dog world! I love the way they move, they are very graceful and elegant creatures! They are also very affectionate dogs who are always willing to cuddle with you. I basically love everything about them as well!

Boxers are truly amazing as well. I love their playful energy and their clownish ways. Same for the Bull Terrier. Oh I could go on about all the different breeds, but I think that I would run out of room!

BMDLuver
February 9th, 2006, 04:27 PM
Scottish Deerhound:
Pros:Regal, non shedding, loyal, couch potatoes in the home, active outdoors, love snow.

Cons: Longevity

Great Dane:
Pros: Big goofy puppies, slow to mature then overnight the couch potatoe arrives. Inquisitive, loyal to family and generally good natured particuliarly with small children.

Cons: Longevity, predisposition to various health issues. Don't fit well in a compact car.

There's a ton more but I'll wait for others to add. :highfive:

poodletalk
February 9th, 2006, 04:39 PM
Irish Wolfhound:

PROS: Gentle giants, great with kids and other animals. Not an alpha bone in their bodies, patient, loyal.

Cons: Problems with their hips, they think they are a size of a toy poodle and they want to sit on your lap!

PetFriendly
February 9th, 2006, 04:40 PM
Charley has the energy and alertness of a pom, but the happy go lucky attitude (for the most part) of a shih tzu.
His pom fur keeps him warm outside, and doesn't need to be trimmed.
The pom in him makes training fun, the shih tzu in him means you should have treats handy when doing so ;)

pros: doesn't shed much and fits nicely in your lap to keep you warm

con: likes to hear himself bark, and doesn't realise there isn't anything his 10 lbs could do about it anyway!

Mineeputs
February 9th, 2006, 06:03 PM
We had black labs growing up as kids and it's funny how a breed can stick with you. My husband and I are on our 4th now, plus my brother has one too. He's looking at getting another one in the spring. But.... because I work at a boarding kennel, I see every size, shape, breed you can imagine - some I've never even heard of! And, touch wood, the only dog that gave me a hard time was a black lab! It was time for their evening walk and I opened the gates of their kennels to let them out. Everyone was more than anxious except for this black lab. He growled, snarled and lunged at me a couple of times before I gave up. Luckily it was in the summer and I opened the outside door, so he at least was able to do his business in the run. I guess you never can tell, but I agree it's all in the way a dog gets treated.

Inverness
February 9th, 2006, 06:27 PM
I love Pointers !!! Because they are always willing to do something, anything ! Because they love everybody. Because they get along with other dogs well. Because they learn fast and act even faster. And, well, because they are the most gorgeous dogs in the world ! (I'm being VERY objective yet again... ;) )

Dogastrophe
February 9th, 2006, 06:28 PM
I have three terrier / terrier mutts wandering the house.... no, not wandering, tearing like mad through the house with reckless abandon to anything that may get in their way. Something about their scruffy faces and big attitudes has always appealed to me.

My two youngest (Border T mix and Silky Terrier) have two speeds - on and really on. Both strut around like they are the biggest, baddest dog on the planet.

Pros: Energetic, great alarm systems, playful, loveable
Cons: Energetic ;) , can get very distracted, a bit willful

meb999
February 9th, 2006, 06:59 PM
BOXERS BOXERS BOXERS!!!

Boxers are just the most fun-loving dogs in the world. They are big goof-balls and crack you up with their crazy antics (is there anything funnier than the kidney-bean dance??).

They are ALWAYS in a great mood and always up for anything. They also have the best facial expressions.

They are high energy when it's time for exercise, but will gladly sleep (and drool) on your lap when it's tv-watching time.

They are the ultimate 'manly' dog -- they burp and fart and drool and snore!

They are very protective, yet they love everyone. They are great with kids.

They have big droopy lips, and wrinkled foreheads.

They don't get that awfull wetdog smell.

They have short hairs, and don't shed alot. They are the perfect size -- not too big, not too small.

Joey.E.CockersMommy
February 9th, 2006, 07:00 PM
This is what I like about english cocker spaniels Joeys breed and why I choose one.

Not as common as the american cocker less of a chance of getting inbred one - there are puppy mills in eastern canada though so they should never be bought at a pet store - but we all know that anyways :D

nice looking dog IMO with a noble looking head IMO - Joey reminds me of a bigger dog in a small dogs body - they come in lots of different colors and patterns

usually loves dogs and people - Joey loves people and some dogs - he wants to be with you all the time

fairly intelligent - they seem to catch on to things pretty fast

small in size but not so small that you are worried about hurting them

good watch dog - not aggressive but will bark if someone is at the door

hardly sheds at all - actually Joey rarely sheds

Cons about Joey and ECS's

-is not always good with other big dogs - small dog attitude
-gets burrs in ears and I need to clean them out every couple days
-can be stubborn at times
-doesnt like it when my kids are too hyper
-can't find a good groomer they either shave him or groom him like an american

Other Cons
-the breed can be hard to find even if going through a rescue. There is usually a waiting list and to many reputable breeders, (This is mostly true in BC I think they are easier to find back east )
- but then you have to watch out for puppymills and should always go either through ECS rescue or a breeder.

-The breed can be prone to blindness - Joey seems fine so far and has no history of blindness
-Submissive urination - Joey has dominance urination :D
-Seperation Anxiety - Joey is okay with us
-They can be yappy - Joey never barks
-Apparently they can shed - Joey sheds minimally if at all

papillonmama
February 9th, 2006, 07:06 PM
I too love the pit bull's sense of humour, not only are they funny, but they can enjoy a good laugh, well, they only show the giant grin, which some people find menacing, it really is a smile, I swear. Their undying loyalty, their humaness. Trigs is our friend and family. He's a great guy, I can talk about him like he's a person, he's a nice fellow, training him was a dream, he knows different commands from me and my husband, he knows hand signals, we both have different hand signals that he recognizes from each of us, and all of his commands in two different languages. He's awesome, I love him.

Cons, sometimes his protectiveness scares me with all the BSL. I worry that it will be misinterperated, just like his grin/

Papillons are truly loyal and protective, yeah that's right, protective, well until the other dog says something back, or the person steps a little closer to her. They are very affectionate, love to be cuddled and to cuddle, and always want to be close by. She's eager to please, well, now she is.They are also incredibly smart. How else can you explain how the dog trained everyone at my mom's house? They were on a schedule, Dory wakes up at five to see dad off to work, 'have a good day', dory barks at mom to get moving with breakfast, dory sleeps on the couch all day poos and pees where ever she pleases and then MAKES someone clean up or else she'll pee somewhere 'you'll regret', Dad comes home and makes dinner, 'hey, give me MY plate before you feed the rest of them, you know your shoes and socks are in danger, and hurry up about it too!'
And even though it drove me crazy getting her out of those bad habits, you have to admire their persistance and their fierce belief that they are NOT, and never have been, in the wrong. There were times when she drove me nuts, but I just HAD to smile, and for the times I didn't feel like smiling I would bear it and grin later.
Not to mention they are terribly cute, but when raised without direction, they can be a bit of a pain. :evil:
I love Dory, she was a bit older when I got her, and her better atributes were not as quick to be seen, but now she's a great family member and a respectable room mate.:pawprint:

Cons, oh they are regular kind of shedders, which isn't bad, but they shed extremely long hair, and most of it is white, so forget your black sweaters and polar fleece PJ's.

Sheltielover
February 9th, 2006, 07:43 PM
I love Shelties partly because I grew up with them,but I am just naturally drawn to their beauty. They are a very alert,smart,extremely loyal and best of all great with kids. There many different coat colours are another draw for me,each one beautiful in its own way. I try thinking of another dog that I may like to have but I always end up back to the Sheltie,(well maybe a rough Collie;) if I had more room.

Cons:They are like potatoe chips, you can't just have one.

Our senior dog is a 12 yr old Golden Retriever and shes grown up with all my kids....you couldn't ask for a better dog for kids. Shes been pulled at,stepped on,tripped over,grabbed at etc, by all my kids and never once showed ANY aggression in 12 yrs,another great breed.

Cons: HAIR, HAIR, HAIR.....

free
February 9th, 2006, 08:14 PM
airedales

pros; shed little, great with kids,have lots of personality, very loving loves to cuddle, keeps you on your toes when their young never know what they will get into, will keep on going till you stop, friendly to a fault

cons; takes till they are around 5 till they mature, would invite a thief in if they had a treat or wanted to play, can ignore commands if they think what they are doing at the time is more important than you, stubborn,

Lissa
February 9th, 2006, 08:37 PM
I have really enjoyed reading everyone's responses! Great idea for a thread, Prin!:highfive:

Of course, I am going to have to go with the hound group...but if I had to choose just one it would be Foxhounds (go figure:p )!!!! I would say that they are one of the most misunderstood breeds as they are rarely kept as pets - very few people understand how much potential they have.

They are not stupid, untrainable or particularly stubborn. In fact, they are loving, devoted and intelligent. Dodger has already surpassed my highest expectations and has broken every hound stereotype out there. I refuse to believe that he is the only exceptional hound out there.

The biggest con with a foxhound is the time commitment and patient understanding/encouragement they need to blossom. You only get out of them what you put into them and it doesn't take much to ruin a hound if you aren't patient and consistent!

mastifflover
February 9th, 2006, 09:04 PM
Bet you are shocked I have to go with Mastiff's. They are THE velcro dog they have to be touching you if possible. They are big gentle laid back goofs. They do like to run and play but they do need recess during playtime.
English Mastiff and Neapolitan Mastiff Pros: great big goofs, protective not aggressive. English shed like there is no tomorrow Neos don't shed otherwise they are very similar in nature. Great apartment dogs and do not require a ton of exercise which fits my working hours great. But I love all dogs.

Prin
February 9th, 2006, 10:32 PM
Yey! I'm so glad so many people answered. It's nice to get a picture of the breed from the people who know it best...

I never understood why people liked huskies. They always were sort of weird and unpredictable to me. But Jemma has taught me all the good things about huskies. How they're so vocal, so expressive and how they can't be alone. How they body check when they play... To me, to understand a really good husky is to understand packs and dog behavior pretty well (I still don't get them as much as they get me...). They are so involved in the heirarchy and demand respect and respect the most deserving people.

As for Newfs... I don't know them well enough (i.e. I still have to get one :)). But to me, newfs are labs toned down. They're so friendly and protective but can be goofy too. They're laid back but have power under their thick fur. And the way they swim- it's like half the strokes with the same speed. Power strokes. They're just big slobbery loves.:love:

mona_b
February 9th, 2006, 11:04 PM
Well lets see,where do I start.....LOL

Well as most of you know,I grew up with GSD's...And I owned my first at 17.

They are loving,loyal and very gentle.

They are very easy to train(in my experience)

They crave attention,yet they like to have "their" time alone.

They are so eager to please..And are VERY smart.

They are very protective of their family members.

And I can't tell you how many times when walking Tron,people comment on him..Saying how handsome he is....Or the times when people would look at him in their cars as they drive by..He does attract attention...And even from a few hotties...;)

doggy lover
February 10th, 2006, 05:07 PM
Doesn't it make you chest swell with pride when someone comments on your dog and how beautiful they are. Yeah I've met some men along the way too bad I'm married.:angel:

mona_b
February 10th, 2006, 06:14 PM
Doesn't it make you chest swell with pride when someone comments on your dog and how beautiful they are. Yeah I've met some men along the way too bad I'm married.:angel:

Ohhhhhh that it does..........:D

I say they same thing...LOL...........:D :p

yoda900_ca
February 10th, 2006, 11:35 PM
i love my alaskan malamutes. This is the third one i've owned and first that i didn't get as a rescue.
pros-the endless kisses, the willingness to go for a hike no matter what,yeahaw the sled rides,all that excersise they need is great for making your but smaller,they are very smart(sometimes too smart,this may be a con-lol) and they are great envoys for meeting new people in your neighborhood. I lived in my house for 6yrs now and since i got my mal this summer(went a few yrs w/o a dog) i've met more people in 3-4month then i have in 6yrs. i think i know everyone with in a 3mile radius. I also embrace the way they think on their own. my puppy already steers my around ice patches.
cons- completly useless as a guard dog:D sure u can have the computer just pet me. they don't usually get along so well w/same sex dogs(fixed or not) and the occasional "i don't really need to come" attitude.
side note to prin- your pretty dead on w/your husky/malamute asessment. they keep u on mental toes. although i do find the malamutes are generally less aloof and more affectionate and predictable then huskies.

shannonRN
February 11th, 2006, 01:10 AM
I guess that what I love about my shepherds is everything they learn that you DON'T have to teach them. For whatever reason, must be just a compatible personality thing, I just feel like I connect with them...They study you and get to know you...and then are just so eager to use what they've learned to make you happy. That's why I love 'em.

Rottielover
February 11th, 2006, 08:08 AM
:love: Rottweilers all the way. I will never go back to another breed again
Pro.... Very loyal, extremely smart. very loving. calm souls, and when raised, and trained correctly like any breed, are AMAZING with children.
CON.. short life span due to many forms of cancer, and other ailments. HD.Also did I say smart as a pro, it can also be a con. LOL
Challenging breed, but it they are not for every body.
BUT deffinetly for me:love: :love: :rolleyes:

Frenchy
February 11th, 2006, 10:22 AM
Not too original but for me ;goldens goldens goldens.What's so good about them?They love everybody.There just big puppies who always want to be by your side,all the time!Cooppperbelle has a car plate that says;goldens are like chips,you can never just have one!So true.I'm at 3 now but I know I have to stop!Pretty hard when you foster.But I do love all dogs,all breed.

domesticzookeep
February 11th, 2006, 11:17 AM
Catahoula leopard - not sure if mine is 'characteristic of the breed', as I've never met another one, but:

pros: sense of humour, very playful, and just a big goofball, devoted & loving to family, has good downtime in the house, but loves to run & play outside, def'n another 'velcro' dog...

cons: thinks she's a 40 lb lap dog, can be very stubborn

Boarder Collie
Pros: brilliant dog, *wants* to learn, always ready to do something (anything!), very loyal, easy to train, a dog that you can do alot of things with

Cons: where's the off switch? she rarely even naps during the day! :confused: :evil:

But my favourite, has to be Labs (I'm partial to black labs, but the yellows & golden retrievers are almost a tie....)
Pros:laid back, will hike with you til the end of the world, loyal, smart, and always a tail wag for everyone they meet, not a mean bone in their bodies....

Cons: shedding, and would probably lead a house robber to the valuables, and would 'shake a paw' with the robber before he left :p

Terrie
February 11th, 2006, 03:18 PM
My fav has to be GSD's. Not only are they as smart as a whip, they will defend you to their death !! I also like the fact that when walking mine, people on the same side of the street, move to the other side:thumbs up

goldengal
February 11th, 2006, 05:53 PM
I love Goldens. Montana is my third. However, since we live in the same house with a Berner who I just love, I can no longer say Goldens are my only love. Louie, my daughter's Berner, has such excellent eye contact, and he just seems to speak to you. Of course, he really gets that look across when he wants a cookie. lol They also have a 7 month old Leonberger, and OMG is she something else. I think I would most likely fall in love with whatever breed is in the house. In the past we also had a Collie (first ones in our neighbourhood to have a Lassie dog), and an American Cocker, and while they all have their own personalities and traits, I love them all.

glasslass
February 11th, 2006, 08:54 PM
I grew up with Cockers, but ever since my 20s, it's been poodles all the way. Soft fluffy furballs that know they were born to be the center of attention. Require lots of brushing and grooming, but no shedding. They know when they're beautiful and strut their stuff. Eager to please, and be pleased. Intelligent, easy to train, love to perform. A size for everybody and every situation. Endless energy and a real sense of humor. Their little eyes just dance and laugh at you and at themselves. Nothing feels more loving than that soft, fluffy sleepy-head snuggling up to you in the morning.

Dudster
February 24th, 2006, 12:16 PM
This is fun...

Bernese Mountain Dog - for lots of reason.. their tempermant, my Berner.. Dudley is soooooooooo laid back and easy going.. 130lbs of love...the face, the size.. the gentleness. He has been the best part of the last 4 years.. He's my Biggie Man.

Old English Sheepdogs - the sillyness, the mischief..the sookness. Always ready for snuggles. I love coming home after work and seeing my Murphy run around the yard, jumping and twirling and his bum wagging a mile a minute.

Big and furry for me all the way.

buffytwin
February 24th, 2006, 02:56 PM
BOXERS BOXERS BOXERS!!!

Boxers are just the most fun-loving dogs in the world. They are big goof-balls and crack you up with their crazy antics (is there anything funnier than the kidney-bean dance??).

They are ALWAYS in a great mood and always up for anything. They also have the best facial expressions.

They are high energy when it's time for exercise, but will gladly sleep (and drool) on your lap when it's tv-watching time.

They are the ultimate 'manly' dog -- they burp and fart and drool and snore!

They are very protective, yet they love everyone. They are great with kids.

They have big droopy lips, and wrinkled foreheads.

They don't get that awfull wetdog smell.

They have short hairs, and don't shed alot. They are the perfect size -- not too big, not too small.

I totally agree with everything said here! Our last dog was a pug, which was always my favorite breed. And boxers were my boyfriends favorite breed, so when my pug passed away, it was time to get a boxer. He is such a wonderful wonderful dog! Smart, fun, mine is a potato couch, haha, but when you want to play he's active and full of energy! He's the perfect doggy! And we've been taking him to school since we first got him and he's in highschool now and he just loves it! He picks everything up so quick, he's a very smart dog! Boxers rock!

Skryker
February 25th, 2006, 04:10 PM
Tough question-I'm just a fan of big slobber dogs in general! And little loyal dogs.

But I'll put in a good word for Corgis. Short dogs who don't know they are supposed to be "small dogs", clowns who love to play and are always smiling, loyal and protective, intelligent, energetic bundles of enthusiasm!

Cons:often think they are the boss, so they need a firm hand, and they try to herd everything, so they can be nippy on your heels.

joeysmama
February 25th, 2006, 05:15 PM
The only breed I've ever owned has been shih tzu. (Except for a chihuahua my parents had when I was very young)

I was thinking of a mid sized to large dog but my daughter was BEGGING for a smaller dog. I had been in the hospital and there were some scary moments when it seemed she wouldn't have a mommy so I was inclined to let her have some say in what kind of dog. After looking into small dog rescue organizations and talking to some vets we found that shih tzu was a good breed for our lifestyle.

And since they're small and I couldn't lift too much at the time it was pretty manageable for me. Yes the kids were teens and promised to do their part etc. And they did--and do--but realistically I was the one who would be with him the most--it had to be do-able for me.

So we are now loving our second shih tzu and I have to say that they are a fun breed. I didn't expect to think so but I do. It's as though they've packed a lot of dog into a small space. Cooper has a thing for my boots. My winter boots that I keep by the back door. Usually it's right after he's been out, when he's really energetic, he'll attack that boot with growls and snarls.

He only growls and barks to vocalize with us though. Never in an aggressive way--only to get our attention when he wants to play.

Oh--and like the kids when they were little he does not like me to be on the phone. He barks and nips for my attention.

And he's so friendly with strangers. When someone comes to the house or wants to pet him when we're out Cooper turns into a total flirt. If he had a motto it would be "Love me, love me (pant pant) love me !!"

loveyadogs
February 27th, 2006, 08:50 AM
:p shih tzu's....forever and ever, I truly love my wee Bazil and have onlly had him a few months. also we have a terrier? poodle ? mix, we resuced in the storm of 1997 (canada).
I grew up with a beautiful springer spaniel, she was a BEAUTY.her name was sheba

winter05
March 6th, 2006, 01:40 PM
I know no one posted in a long time but i was just hoping there was other st bernard lovers out there.

Kerrye
March 6th, 2006, 01:44 PM
I love rescue dogs - because if anyone truly needs a home it's one of these poor little guys. They are also unbelievably loyal - no matter the breed or mix.

Mom_Of_Two_Dogs
March 7th, 2006, 12:05 PM
I love the Scottish Terrier because of their extremely intelligent and loyal, diehard nature. Hamish has become very mellow as he's getting older (he'll be turning nine on Sunday), but he can still be very playful and is sociable as all get out. He loves his walks but his exercise requirements aren't demanding; if it's a crummy day and If all I feel like doing is watching a movie, he'll be content just to lie by my side.

I love the Shiba Inu because their wolfishness; I think they're the closest thing to Canis Lupus in terms of behavior. This means they are definately not a dog for everyone, especially not without a lot of research beforehand. It sounds wierd, but I love how much of a challenge it is to own them. My Suki's a great dog, affectionate as can be, even when she screams and her coat explodes ;) Shibas are a very unique, often stubborn dog and I love them for it.