Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Group Work Out Plan

raingirl
February 8th, 2006, 09:24 PM
I was debating posting this for a while, but I've been WAY to busy.

I have an idea. I don't really have a "support" base of people around me to help me get in shape (I'm the kinda person who has a few close friends, and that's it, and most don't live anywhere near me anymore).

I was wondering if anyone wanted to participate in an active on-going body shaping/health system here online.

This is how I was thinking the system could work.

We could alternate days. One Cardio, One Weight Training. Sunday off.

Depending on how many people would like to participate, we could set up people who would be responsible for specific days. Say, if we get 6 people willing to participate, each person is responsible for a day of the week to come up with an excercise for their day, post it the day before in a new thread with instructions, and then people can post with questions, results, etc.

I guess if we had 6 people (5 other than me) who were willing to comit to help one day a week, then anyone else who wanted to participate could.

This would be an example schedule:

Week 1
Monday - Cardio
Tuesday - Legs (weights)
Wednesday - Cardio
Thursday - Arms (weights)
Friday - Cardio
Saturday - Core (weights)
Sunday - rest

Week 2
Monday - Legs (weights)
Tuesday - Cardio
Wednesday - Arms (weights)
Thursday - Cardio
Friday - Core (weights)
Saturday - Cardio
Sunday - rest

So it would be alternating each week. There are tons of resources online where you can get easy exercises, with easy, medium, and hard instructions.

We could set the limit of the exercises to be 20 min for weights, 30 min for cardio.

I think it would be fun and motivational! And you won't know what you are going to do until the day before, which can remove a lot of stress of trying to decide whether to go for a walk, go to the gym, swim, etc. All you have to do is plan your one day. I know http://www.sissel-online.com/ has 100's if not 1000's of free well explained exercises plans. And if we find an plan online, we can post links to the explanations to save time!

What do you think??

Oh...and before we start, we all set a goal. Not a weight one though. Weight is arbitrary. My goal will be to fit into my size 8 pants that I have had in my closet since 1997. If I get there, I get a new tattoo.

Joey.E.CockersMommy
February 8th, 2006, 09:47 PM
Thats a great idea - I have been really slacking off lately. We actually have a whole gym in our basement complete with treadmill and free weights and parabody weight station. Now I am psyched to start using it again.

I actually did the whole body for life program. There is actually a contest you can enter yourself in - I never did that but I bought the book and followed the program all the way through. You follow the program six days a week, on the 7th day you rest and eat whatever you want - a whole cheese cake - an entire pizza - what ever. The rest of the time you eat 6 times a day. One carb on protein and drink lots of water.

http://www.bodyforlife.com/index.asp the website is pretty good you can download workout sheets etc for free.

For the workout (and your supposed to chart your progress - you do cardio for 20 minutes - like walking but you start out like at level 5 ( easy) for one minute, then go up to level 6 for one minutes - then seven - eight - and nine - you repeat this two times then on the third try you go up to level ten for one minute so you get your heart rate up then you go back down to level five to cool down.

The weight training alternates upper and lower body too - and usually consists of five sets of different excercises.

oh and I learned some good ab excercises too. One is the plank where you are in a plank position with your elbows bent and you just stay there as long as you can. Another you lay on your back, bend your knees and place your palms against your knees - now you push with your hands while resisting with your knees and count to maybe ten -you only need to do it a few times to feel it.

joeysmama
February 8th, 2006, 10:54 PM
I work on a health and fitness website. I'd be happy to be a part of this but I can't commit right now because I'm actually coaching a class this week and next and I would get distracted and not be reliable. I'd forget to show up or something. :rolleyes:

I can share some of the programs that people there (the website) have loved. Slim in 6, Power 90, and Walk Away The Pounds.
There are others but these are the ones that get mentioned over and over again.

I've never tried the first two but I have the WATP tapes and they're great.

Joey.E.CockersMommy
February 9th, 2006, 07:13 AM
I'll do Wednesday - So does everyone have to do what I am doing or do they just there own cardio.

Also if anyone is into excercises videos - I love them personally I really like all the crunch videos there only 1/2 hour and there is a big assortment you can choose from. There only about 10 bucks each.

here is the cardio workout for body for life - personally I think any cardio is good IMO just get your heart pumping for 20 minutes or more. This will be my input for next Wed six days early hope thats okay.

http://www.bodyforlife.com/exercise/cardiotraining.asp

Bearsmom
February 9th, 2006, 07:36 AM
I've been on a diet for the past week, and have lost 8 lbs already (it's something very close to South Beach diet).
For my exercise, because my knees are shot, I've been doing Pilates (DVD from Walmart), and am already noticing a difference.

I can't participate in a weight/cardio regimen, but can certainly be your biggest cheerleader. It's so much easier to do and maintain a schedule with some support there!

*Now if they'd only stop with the Pizza Hut commercials, I'd be just fine....

joeysmama
February 9th, 2006, 08:54 AM
Bears mom--pilates is one of the best forms of exercise. It strengthens your core which actually makes you stronger without bulking you up and also helps to prevent back problems.

I have Marilu Henner's pilates DVD (of course I do--she's my boss !;) ). She works with Jay Grimes who trained with Joseph Pilates. Both Marilu and Jay are incredibly fit and look years younger than their chronological ages. I've also followed her Total Health Makeover plan since the late 90's and I can't say enough about the benefits. It's not a diet, it's a lifestyle change, a mindset.

But one of the components is to break a sweat for 10 minutes a day. Anyone can commit to just 10 minutes a day. (I say that but here I am on the computer and the exercise bike is about 2 feet away just daring me to get on !)

Anyway, just wanted to add my encouragement and say how much I like pilates !

Bearsmom
February 9th, 2006, 01:26 PM
I enjoy it because of the lack of jouncing around like most programs have you do, and the continual focus on core strength (READ: A MILLION AB EXERCISES PER SESSION), which is my problem area.

Trust me, with a 2 1/2 yr old; two large breed dogs and a messy husband, I break a sweat a majillion times a day....I just hate cardio and consider walking each dog separately for an hour each at night counts as cardio (plus when hubby gets home from work, that's my escape from the day's craziness).

joeysmama
February 9th, 2006, 02:24 PM
I hate cardio as well. I actually hate all forms of exercise. LOL !! I like rowing in the summer but it's not somehting you do every day. And I did start running this past summer, but I won't do it now. I hate the cold weather.

I used to joke that if anyone ever saw me running they should call the police because it probably meant I was being chased. But as I get older I'm more determined to fight time so I'm learning to like getting my bottom in gear.

Getting older is not for sissies !!:crazy:

raingirl
February 10th, 2006, 07:09 PM
well, at least some people are interested!

My biggest problem is that no matter what, I can't seem to lose any weight.

I've been tested by my doc and I don't have a thyroid or anything medical that she can see as to why I can't lose any. I also don't seem to gain any either. I have been exactly 170 lbs for 5+ years. It's not that horrible a weight considering I am 5'8" and I also have big thick bones (aparently there are tests for that and I have a large bone structure). I still need to lose 20 or so lbs because my blood pressure is always borderline high, and with all the stress I have had lately, it's got worse.

I actually worked out 3-5 times a week, 40 min cardio, and weight training several times a week, plus 1 hour yoga a week for 2 straight years. Ate super healthy (which I do generally anyway, since I have a phobia of fat, and sugar/carbs make me get heart palpitations, so I don't have much of either). I always feel very hungry and week though, so I had to stop working out, as I was feeling like passing out. Still...tests showed nothing. Doc might send me to an Endrocrinologist if my syptoms don't get better. I just want to lose a little weight, just to feel a little better.

Also....I have officially hit a size F bra. I can't beleive it! I think that's where all the weight is!

jesse's mommy
February 10th, 2006, 07:46 PM
I would love to join in this, but I honestly don't have the time to commit to it right now. I haven't had an assistant since I took over this area and have been working approximately 70 hours per week! :eek: I'm in the process of hiring someone -- patiently waiting for his paperwork to be processed -- so if there is a group, I would love to join at that point -- once I'm down to 45 hours a week!

babyrocky1
February 10th, 2006, 08:41 PM
You GO girls!!! Hey exercise can be really fun, dont do exercises you don't like, thats my only advice, putting on music and dancing around the living room is just as aerobic as jogging, depending on the music I guess! I rollerblade in good wheather. I have the mari Windsor Pilates tapes as well as Pilates for dummies, but I don't use them any more cause I actually go to the community centre accross the street three times a week for classes and I have to say that I thought I was doing the pilates correctly with the tapes but instruction is a million times better! It turned out I was doing it all wrong cause so much of pilates is theory and breath, I found it really hard to get it all through dvds and tapes. I have arthritis and my pain is almost totally subsided now! I :love: Pilates! Anyways I think its great for you guys to have a group, Great way to motivate! Im doing all the exercise Ihave time for with the classes , they are such a luxury!

CyberKitten
February 10th, 2006, 09:31 PM
My health is not actually good enough to work out in any traditional way but I weigh less than 110 lbs and am cautious about what I eat, and walk when I can. Still, L'd love to be able to work out - it just is too painful for me. I encourage everyone else tho!!

Joey.E.CockersMommy
February 10th, 2006, 09:43 PM
Okay raingirl friday is cardio - are you ready - its cardio day - I am doing a latin dance cardio fat blaster video - if you could see me attempt this you ROTFALYAF. :D see in 30 minutes. :D

joeysmama
February 10th, 2006, 09:54 PM
I can't say that I've ever had a weight problem but there have been times when I've felt that I needed to bring the numbers down in order to feel my best.

I've been following the same plan for years and it works really well for me. I'm 48 years old and you know how every year older that you get the pounds just seem to hang on all the tighter.

When I want to feel good and look great this is what an ideal day looks like:

Breakfast: fruit (this can be an all fruit smoothie with filtered water, or an apple, or an apple and an orange, or an orange and a cup of grapes--whatever you like so long as it's not out of a can)

Lunch: protein (this is usually a piece of fish or a scoop of tuna salad with tossed salad, or it can be fish or chicken with grilled vegetables)

Dinner: carbs (a pasta dish with no meat or cheese, or a rice dish, or a bean dish)

Of course I can substitute soup and salad for lunch or dinner, there are a lot of varieties to those two meals as well. I make vegetarian tacos or black bean dumplings, or any number of great dishes. I just try very hard not to eat protein and carbs at the same meal as they don't digest well when eaten together. I don't eat red meat, refined sugar or dairy. I avoid processed foods as much as I can, but admit to being lazy and eating them more than I should. But when I do have pre made, packaged foods, I choose ones without additives and hyrogenated oils.

This is so much esier than it sounds and I can't begin to tell you what a difference it's made in the way I feel. My energy levels are so much higher than they were when I was in my 30's.

And I wear a size smaller than I did then !:thumbs up

Joey.E.CockersMommy
February 10th, 2006, 10:30 PM
I definately need to eat more fruit - I should really invest in a new blender.

I have lost about 40 pounds since my twenties but defintaley want to tone up - all my weight is in my lower body - which they say is better than carrying above the waist as its not as close to the heart - but no matter what my size I always seem to be bottom heavy. Also since having kids I got some love handles and a bit of pooch I'd like to work on.

One good thing though its only feb - lots of time for summer

joeysmama
February 11th, 2006, 10:51 AM
Joey's mommy, I give my blender such a workout !!

I'm posting two of my favorite smoothie recipes for anyone who wants a treat that's actually healthy.

Pineapple/strawberry smoothie

Slice a pineapple crosswise to take out a 1" ring (approximately) Peel and chunk the pineapple. I cut up the core as well and snack on that. It's too fibrous for the smoothie but I like to eat it plain.

About 4 or 5 fresh or frozen strawberries (not in juice) I like Cascadian farms frozen berries. You could substitute blackberries or raspberries or blueberries.

3/4 cup flitered water.

That's it. Blend and drink !

Peanut butter/ banana smoothie

1 banana
2 Tablespoons peanut butter
1 Tablespoon maple syrup
8 ounces soy milk

Blend and drink ! This is my all time favorite treat. It's not low calorie but unlike most treats it's not empty calories either. Eveything in there is something that's good for your body.

Joey.E.CockersMommy
February 18th, 2006, 10:00 PM
I just got a smoothie blender for me and the kids we have been making smoothies like crazy. THe blender comes with a spout so you can dispense its pretty cool.

I missed my upperbody workout for Wed but I did it for today so here it is.

Each excercise consists of six sets do 12, 10,8 6 and 12 reps rest 1 minute between sets. then quickly switch to another excercise for the same muscle group and do 12 more reps. Rest for two minutes then go on to the next excercise. For weight start with a low weight then higher the weight with each set. So on set 5 you are actually using the same weight as you did for set two.

I was trying to describe the workout but I thought it best to just post the link rather then describe it and have someone injure themsleves.

Boy am I out of shape I nearly died doing my workout today. Will be sore tommorow thats for sure. Also trying to quit smoking so hopefully I can keep up with the excercise so I dont put on the pounds.

http://www.bodyforlife.com/exercise/weighttraining.asp