Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

No More Speeding

jjgeonerd
February 8th, 2006, 02:47 PM
Looks like you Canadians are in trouble. GPS based governors in cars are being tested in Canada.

http://www.spectator.org/dsp_article.asp?art_id=9327

Thankfully it probably wouldn't ever fly though (at least not in the US). Too much revenue comes from speeding tickets.

cpietra16
February 8th, 2006, 02:55 PM
Talking of speeding...why do speedometers read 180+? Who ever drives 160? If the speed never exceeds 120...why not stop at 120...why do cars read 160, 180??? Just always wondered why?:rolleyes:

Joey.E.CockersMommy
February 8th, 2006, 02:59 PM
I am just picturing somebody that normally speeds excessively in one of those cars. Can you imagine the road rage going on inside that car. :evil:

Rick C
February 8th, 2006, 03:05 PM
Talking of speeding...why do speedometers read 180+? Who ever drives 160? If the speed never exceeds 120...why not stop at 120...why do cars read 160, 180??? Just always wondered why?:rolleyes:

The speedometer in our new Chrysler 300 with a v-8 hemi goes to 270.

I've had it up to 165 on a lonely stretch of highway near our place . . . . Abby and Keepers wonderous observors in the back seat. Even at that speed, it wasn't even remotely close to stretching itself on the RPM side and was smooth as silk.

Mostly I travel at 120 or 130 . . . . and if I didn't, I'd be getting run over by little old ladies on the road between Edmonton and Calgary.

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca

jesse's mommy
February 8th, 2006, 03:22 PM
Is 165 the same as 165 MPH in the states? Wow that is fast!

Luvmypit
February 8th, 2006, 03:24 PM
That is just stupid. So what happens if I am travelling down a traffic deprived road and suddenly a group of drunks pulls up behind me and harrasses me as I drive. They dont have this GPS system in their old car but I do mine. I can't escape them b/c Im stuck at 80 km's.

Or what happens if you have to speed up to avoid a collison?

What if your wife or daughter or some pregnant lady is in the back of the car and shes about to deliver but you can only drive 50 kms up the hosital road?

What happens if the road changes its speed limit higher or lower. You will forever be speeding or forever be holding up traffic. Assuming that this system cannot get updates quick enough or at all.

What happens if your being followed by a jilted lover and you cant escape b/c your stuck in a residential area going 40 kms?

I know I have a big imagination.

cpietra16
February 8th, 2006, 03:32 PM
All I know is that I drove lonely roads on Vancouver Island and I was never worried about other cars or people, however when a bear, cougar, or deer come out of nowhere I want to know that I can atleast break fast enough to give the animal a chance of not getting hit. I use to speed and it is easy when you are the only one on the road, but I have hit a deer and to this day I still regret it.
:( I did however pick it up and put it in the bushes for nature to take its course. There is nothing worse than aseeing a dead deer or bear on the side of a road or the middle of one.

jjgeonerd
February 8th, 2006, 03:40 PM
Is 165 the same as 165 MPH in the states? Wow that is fast!

:p Nope. kmh as opposed to mph. Multiply all their numbers by about 0.6 and it'll make more sense.

jjgeonerd
February 8th, 2006, 03:42 PM
That is just stupid. So what happens if I am travelling down a traffic deprived road and suddenly a group of drunks pulls up behind me and harrasses me as I drive. They dont have this GPS system in their old car but I do mine. I can't escape them b/c Im stuck at 80 km's.

Or what happens if you have to speed up to avoid a collison?

What if your wife or daughter or some pregnant lady is in the back of the car and shes about to deliver but you can only drive 50 kms up the hosital road?

What happens if the road changes its speed limit higher or lower. You will forever be speeding or forever be holding up traffic. Assuming that this system cannot get updates quick enough or at all.

What happens if your being followed by a jilted lover and you cant escape b/c your stuck in a residential area going 40 kms?

I know I have a big imagination.

...or what if you just need to go fast! :evil: C'mon...I can't be the only one that just has to go fast on occasion (only when safe of course). :D

Prin
February 8th, 2006, 06:09 PM
These GPS thingies would never work. Do you know the overload of paperwork they'd create? No way.

As for the speedos that go up to 160 and stuff- how do you know how fast you can go if the speedos all stopped at 120? Besides, some people like to have those numbers there, just in case you get a nice straight stretch with a good "rabbit" driver ahead..;)