Tapeworm Remedies

Blair
November 7th, 2003, 01:25 PM
My 6 month old pup has tapeworm! Is there a home remedy
for this versusPraziquantel ????:confused:

drdouggie
November 7th, 2003, 03:05 PM
Dear Blair,
There are no home remedies for tapeworms I'm afraid. Praziquantel is the drug of choice when treating most worm infections, it's very effective and extremely safe for your pups. I would strongly discourage people from buying "over-the-counter" wormers in pet shops, not only are they often ineffective but are very unsafe, they may not be regulated by the FDA and you don't know what the content of the tablet is. Please treat your dogs not only for their health but for yours aswell. You didn't say what type of tapeworm your dog had, but remember that many tapeworms can infect humans too. I'm not sure where you are from but a dog tapeworm that is becoming prevalent in the USA and Canada is Echinococcus multilocularis. While this worm is not too severe on dog health and is easily treated, this is not the case in humans. Echinococcus can be fatal and is not easily treated in humans, surgery is often required and it can cause severe liver damage.
So, you see, it is very important to eradicate worms in your dogs for their health and your own. despite many claims by unscrupulous companies on the net, NO homeopathic remedy can cure a tapeworm infection. Chemicals, such as praziquantel, administered by a regime dictated by your vet and under his supervision is the only way to keep doggy's guts parasite free.
Please stick with the praziquantel, it's a safe and effective choice.
Hope this helped.:)

K9Guy
February 10th, 2006, 10:20 AM
Thanks DrDouggie! I too was wondering about a home remedy for tapeworm. Thankfully this was my first research stop on the web. I think I'll keep that Vet appointment. I got enough problems... I don't need no stinkin' tapeworms!

Question: for future reference, what's the correct name/terminology: "tapeworm"... or "tape worm"?