Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

New puppy question

teddybear1003
February 7th, 2006, 06:20 PM
We have a 9 week old mini dachsund/yorkie mix. We have had him 2 days and yesterday he went to the vet to get a check up and his first set of shots. We are working on housbreaking him and are having some luck. My question is to the best of my knowledge the little guy has not gone poo yet today. He is eating, drinking and peeing just fine. I take him out about every hour or so to try and potty and he hasn't pooed yet today. I haven't found anything in the house to suggest that he has had an accident. Should I be worried or is this normal for a new puppy.

coppperbelle
February 7th, 2006, 06:32 PM
I am not a puppy expert but think he should be pooping on his own. Is he still eating the same food he was eating before you got him? Did he poop yesterday?

StaceyB
February 7th, 2006, 11:03 PM
He could be constipated due to the vaccine but I would call just in case it is something else. Watch him like you have been to make sure none of his regular habits change, eating, drinking, playing, sleeping, etc. If they do take him in right away.

Prin
February 7th, 2006, 11:15 PM
I'm not a puppy expert either, but judging by the two I have over here now, they poop at least 4 or 5 times a day. Something is definitely wrong. How often are you feeding the puppy?

Beautygirl
February 8th, 2006, 01:24 PM
When we brought our dog home it took her a couple of days to get her bathroom habits in order. It could just be her adjusting to her new surroundings. I think dogs like people are not all the same. Our last dog would pee everytime she went outside and do her #2 a few times a day, this dog just goes when she has to, which is definitely not as often. If you are concerned call you vet. :)

teddybear1003
February 8th, 2006, 01:51 PM
Thanks for the replys. He did finally go yesterday and he has gone twice so far today. I feel much better about it.