Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

"How to Pick a Pet" - anyone see?

Lucky Rescue
February 6th, 2006, 09:25 PM
A new show I wish I hadn't seen, about people being told how to choose a pet and prepare for it.

One young lady in LA decided she needed a pet, although she's rarely home. The hostess of the show then took her to the best place to get a pet - a pet shop! This pet shop deals "Only with the best breeders"...yeah right.

The hostess did mention to the girl that yes, there are tons of kittens needing homes in shelters BUT they might have behavioral problems that no one wants to deal with, so the pet shop is better!! Of course puppies and kittens from mills will have no problems at all! Not to mention that's it hard to imagine how many behavioral problems an 8 week old kitten could have....even if it's a yucky shelter kitten.

The girl settled on a overpriced purebred Himalayan kitten to leave alone in her apartment 10+ hours a day.

I can only imagine the damage this show has done to shelter animals everywhere.:mad: Unbelievable.

Prin
February 6th, 2006, 09:28 PM
How horrible! I don't think I have enough channels to accidentally watch that show...

happycats
February 6th, 2006, 09:40 PM
I think if people send an email to the producers of this show, and explain how rescue/shelter animals were wrongly portrayed in this show, and how detrimental this is to shelters and animals everywhere!! The number one reason animals end up in shelters is "people problems" not animal behavioral problems.

How sad, another strike against defenceless animals in shelters everywhere, I wonder how many potential adoptions this show has stopped!!

joeysmama
February 6th, 2006, 09:44 PM
What station was this on? Sounds ridiculous to me. Let me guess who sponsors this show. A pet store chain??

Writing4Fun
February 6th, 2006, 09:55 PM
That's disgusting! And the host is supposedly a vet, too. I found out it's on "Fine Living TV (http://www.fineliving.com/fine/our_specials/episode/0,1663,FINE_5916_42593,00.html)". Yeah, right. Fine for whom??:evil:

Bushfire2000
February 6th, 2006, 09:55 PM
I thought it might be a good show from the title of the thread.
How horrible! :yuck:
I mean, there is a need for people to gain information about choosing a pet, but the right information. Show them how to do the research necessary so you can find the right fit of pet. How to find the right breed and age of dog/cat/bird/fish etc. Then what dish, bed, supplies,etc that you need.

Lucky Rescue
February 6th, 2006, 10:10 PM
I mean, there is a need for people to gain information about choosing a pet

Definitely information is desperately needed. I caught this show by accident and was pleased when I saw the title.

To complain, don't bother with the show's producers. Write to the sponsors. Money is the bottom line and if they are told their products won't be bought, they might sit up and take notice.

I don't know who the sponsors were. I was so disgusted I left it and took my crappy shelter dog with the behavioral problems for a walk.:rolleyes:

dmc123
February 6th, 2006, 10:20 PM
I googled the subject, found this. Is this the TV show you saw this on Lucky?

http://www.fineliving.com/fine/our_specials/episode/0,1663,FINE_5916_42593,00.html

Diane

dmc123
February 6th, 2006, 10:29 PM
oops sorry writing4fun, you already said that.

Prin
February 6th, 2006, 11:10 PM
I sent a comment to the network, but I doubt it will do anything.:rolleyes:

HunterXHunter
February 6th, 2006, 11:48 PM
I sent an e-mail to the network too (Prin, you e-mailed corpcomm@scripps.com right? Because I couldn't find a "fine living" e-mail address)

I hope they pull the Feb. 11th episode.

Prin
February 7th, 2006, 12:41 AM
oh... I sent it by their comments page, but I'll send another to that email... I don't know where you found that- I looked everywhere.

meb999
February 8th, 2006, 10:14 AM
I also sent them a message through their comments page...

I think I'll also write an e-mail, and maybe attach a picture of Buster a 'horrible shelter dog'!

That's really what pets in shelters needed -- someone to reinforce the prejudices against them. Stupid crap.