Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

abandoned dog....maybe??

Jazz&Cricket
February 6th, 2006, 08:47 PM
On my daily commute to work, I drive by a house that is for sale on a rural road. There is a beautiful, collie/husky/something mix that lives there. It is normally outside. Over the weekend, I noticed that they were moving furniture out of the house. When I drove by today, there didn't appear to be anyone around but the dog which ran out to the end of the driveway as I went by. When I told my husband, he suggested I drive by again this evening to see if there was anyone home (it's only about 7 km from our house). I did. The dog was still outside, no lights on at the house. I am hoping that they are still in the process of moving and that the dog has not been abandoned. Since I drive by every day, I can keep my eye out for this dog. I'm going to put some food in my car tomorrow, just in case. I did track down their telephone # so I have a name and if they have left the dog behind I plan to call the OSPCA. It's such a pretty dog, I really hope I'm wrong.

cpietra16
February 6th, 2006, 08:49 PM
I can't believe they would just leave the dog outside, even if they came back. Isn't it cold up there?

shannonRN
February 6th, 2006, 08:58 PM
Well, people have done crueler things than abandon pets in this way, so definitely keep your eyes open. There's still a fair chance that the dog is usually left outdoors and they're still in the process of moving. It will be hard to know though if they've abandoned the dog for good (ironic choice of words, of course) or if they come and go during the day. I'd file the report sooner, rather than later though, because once he gets hungry he'll start roaming and won't have much of a reason to go home anymore. From there, anything could happen to him.

Bushfire2000
February 6th, 2006, 09:13 PM
I can't believe they would just leave the dog outside, even if they came back. Isn't it cold up there?

I don't know what the weather is like there. But I just wanted to comment on leaving your dog outside. Mavis stays outside all the time she would be very unhappy if I tried to force her inside (in fact on very very cold days I've tried to get her in the house and she thinks of it as punishment)
On these cold days you can find her very happily sunning herself on top of a haystack. She does have very adequate shelter that she most often shuns in favor of the great outdoors.

I really hope that this dog is not abandoned.
But he sounds like the outdoor type to me.

Jazz&Cricket
February 7th, 2006, 08:45 AM
Good news..so far anyway. When I drove by this morning, there was someone in the house and the dog was on the porch. Yes, I do think this dog is used to being outside so I wasn't worried about its ability to find shelter but more concerned that it was left behind. I do plan to keep watching, just in case.
When I was a kid, we had a little pomeranian/mix something. Laddie ABSOLUTELY HATED being inside. So on the coldest winter days, he behaved just like a husky and buried himself in the snow under the steps. If my mom or dad managed to get him inside, he raced for the basement door to hide. He lived to be at least 17 years old. Since poms are part of the spitz breed, I think he was genetically adapted to life outdoors. Funny how things have changed...my dogs are all inside dogs but I like it that way :D