Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Oh Farley!

Katherine
February 6th, 2006, 09:29 AM
Ha! Figures I just typed a huge post that somehow got deleted . Dont you hate when that happens?

I posted a couple of weeks ago about Farley chewing our rug and the blind. Things got better and then they got worse again. Hes becoming more destructive in the sense that hes seeking out things to chew when before he would mainly chew things that were in the area of the door and the window. On Sunday we went out for the day and left him gated in the kitchen , he jumped over the gate , ate our defrosting roast that we left on the counter , tore through a big bag of garbage , pulled down all of our coats and pulled out a basket with all of our scarves and mitts in it. Hes been destructive in the past but hes never actually gone this far. Ive left food on the counter , hats etc.. lying out and hes never gone for them. To top things off he had an upset stomach from the roast and had a huge accident in the house. I was up at 5:30am cleaning for two hours :yuck:

We left him double gated in the kitchen today (one on top of the other) and hopefully it works but im not holding my breath :rolleyes:

So it seems that now hes fine with us being gone and has discovered the novelty of being by himself. I knowt the suggestions are going to be to crate him but I dont want to pack up all of my dining room furniture to accomodate it ... I was thinking of muzzling him during the day so he cant chew. Is that inhumane ?

Its been so long ... when are things going to work out ??

Dukieboy
February 6th, 2006, 10:04 AM
No you can't leave him alone and muzzled. Does he have interesting things he is allowed to chew when you aren't home? Have a couple of special toys he gets only when you leave. Like a kong or even two kongs.

Katherine
February 6th, 2006, 10:17 AM
He has a basket full of babies .. some squeak , quack , rattle etc... We also leave him with a full kong frozen with wet food and he has good chews (ropes and hard bones).

Lissa
February 6th, 2006, 10:45 AM
How much exercise is Farley getting!?

Muzzling him while he's home alone is not a good idea.

Maybe you could try a tricky treat ball, everlasting treat ball and/or intelligence toys...

http://www.triplecrowndogs.com/shop/product.htm?loc=208
http://www.jbpet.com/Shopping/product.asp?catalog_name=JBWholesale&product_id=478-0100&category_name=ToysInteractive

I am off to read your original post because I am not really sure why this started happening all of a sudden and I don't want to ask you questions you've already answered!:)

tenderfoot
February 6th, 2006, 10:51 AM
Actually there are muzzles that he can still drink with - some people use them for dogs who swallow gravel when they are left in their pens. It would worry me that he could get it stuck on something and get into trouble, and don't think that he can't do damage with his claws:evil: .
Remind me how old this dog is? He sounds like an out of control teenager. He could use more exercise and work when you are around so that he is tired when left on is own, and starts to respect your things more and not think the house is his personal jungle gym. He sounds either bored or that he might still have some anxiety when you leave.
Crate training is not the worst thing on the planet. It does keep him and your things safe. I would hate for the dining room furniture to have to go because he chewed it to splinters - better that we manage him while we are teaching him and he is maturing.
No doggie daycares around? - that would be an ideal answer. Any friends with bored dogs who need a buddy during the day? He just has so much pent up energy and would benefit from some serious playtime.

Katherine
February 6th, 2006, 11:06 AM
Doggy daycare would be great but at $30 a day who can afford that? We certainly cant. Farley was crate trained for a period of time but we recently reclaimed our dining room back (previously it was just his crate and a big ol mess). I think he is chewing to relieve anxiety but I also think thats just the tip of the iceberg ... life would be good if I just had to get him some more bones and all would be good :angel: I would crate him again if I knew that eventually he would be fine without it but crate training is not something that we can do with him permanently. Hes a big dog (newf/lab x) and his crate takes up a whole room, eventually the issue needs to be resolved.

Ive been seriously considering putting him back on his meds. When we had him on them before it didnt make much of a difference but I think thats because he was super stressed . Im thinking he might be more succeptible to them now that he has calmed down so much. Its so hard because I literally feel that everytime one issue is resolved another one pops up.

Lissa
February 6th, 2006, 11:10 AM
After reading your other post, I really must commend you and your family for sticking with Farley and trying your best to make it work. From this thread, it sounds like Farley is bored but based on the other thread, it sounds like he is an anxious boy!

Has he gotten better on walks or is he still anxious?

I honestly believe that more training will do wonders for him. Dog's will often (if not always) gain confidence from training. N

It really sounds like he needs the security of his crate again...I know it was suggested in the last thread and I know you don't want to have such a huge piece taking up so much space in your house... It really depends what will cause less stress for everyone, including Farley - possible destruction or a hulking-waste-of-space crate....:rolleyes: What kind of crate do you have? I had a huge one for Dodger at one point (for a Saint Bernard) and it took less than a minute to set up...so you can have it right in the kitchen when nobody's home and take it down and out of sight when you are home.

Does he have total freedom and is he destructive when you are at home with him?!

tenderfoot
February 6th, 2006, 12:50 PM
I don't believe meds are the answer. If your child was acting out and hyper would you figure out how to help him so that it would make a change for his life or just drug him?
Crates are not forever. They are handy while you are training and getting him through this. He is much better than he was so there is no reason not to think he won't be much better than he is today. He just needs more time and effort.
By the way some daycares will let you do 1/2 days. OR even if he went 1-2 days a week he would get wonderful socialization and be exhausted the next day when he is home. Even one day a week is better than none.

Prin
February 6th, 2006, 12:56 PM
What kind of dog is this?

About the roast: if you had a sense of smell that was incredible, would you opt for the stinky dog-breath toys or the juicy chunk of cow? Our old lab ate stuff off the counter till the day she died- if we left anything up there. Next time defrost the roast in the oven. It's enclosed and safe.

We also had everything totally dog proofed. Coats and shoes locked in a cupboard. All garbage cans inaccessible and so on. Wherever the dog has access, you have to dog proof.

Sure $30 a day is expensive, but how much money are you losing every day? How much did that roast cost? You know what I mean?

happycats
February 6th, 2006, 05:24 PM
What kind of dog is this?

Farley is a Newf/Golden retriever cross (A really beautiful boy) Prin!

Hope you don't mind me answering Katherine:o

Prin
February 7th, 2006, 02:55 PM
oooo are there any pics anywhere? *runs to find pics*