Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

New cat eats all the food

L'il Frankie
February 5th, 2006, 08:34 PM
We just got a new cat, a young male DSH from the local shelter. We slowly introduced him to Frankie, a 2-3 year old female Himmy, and they get along great!! They sniff each other and lick each other, and also chase each other for fun every now and then. The young one, though, when it's feeding time, he'll quickly eat all his and then head over to Frankies bowl and start to eat her food. He's a slim little guy, but eats like he hasn't seen food for days. We've been feeding Frankie first, then letting him in after she's walked away, but would like to eventually feed them at the same time, same place. Any tips or suggestions? Also, do cats mind sharing litter boxes?

Thanks.:ca:

Lucky Rescue
February 5th, 2006, 09:31 PM
Lots of former stray cats who have known real hunger are obsessed with food! They feel they must eat as much as possible when food is available in case there isnt' any later.

For now you'll have to separate them when they eat, and hopefully after the new guy realizes food will always be there, he'll ease up.

If you have only one litterbox, you'll need to get another one.

MartiniGIrl
February 7th, 2006, 08:28 AM
I had the same problem with my kitten Friday. She was like a hoover, scarfed down her food and heads over to the next bowl of food. I have three cats and each time I bring a new cat into the mix it's the same thing.

I've always just fed them at the same time and at first I just kept an eye on the kitten, and maybe give her a little more once she's finished what she's eaten. And when she tries to eat out of Twix or Salem's dish, I just take her and bring her back to her own dish. They get the idea eventually. And they'll eventually slow down in the eating process. Friday used to eat so fast she'd throw up her food!

Everyone's different, I guess, it depends on if you want to keep them separate or not.

As for the two litterboxes, when I had 2 cats I had one large litterbox, now that I have three cats, I have 2 litterboxes. As long as you clean it (or them every day) you should be ok.

Although if your new cat is a kitten (only a couple months old), I was always told to give them their own litterbox filled with NON-CLUMPING litter until they're older. As, when they are young, they sometimes eat a bit of the litter, and you dont want them eating the clumping stuff because it turns to cement in their little tummies.