Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Posession issues beginning?

Jenmlf
February 5th, 2006, 07:44 PM
Hi there,

So my 5 month old Shih Tzu/ Maltese made me a little (ok a lot) concerned today. I bought him a new bone that he finished very quickly, he had it down pretty small so I wanted to take it away so he wouldn't choke on it (usually when I take things from him he is totally ok with it) today he growled really loudly and then bit me:( (no I didn't give up because he has done this before but didn't do anything so I just tell him he is being silly). Anyway, it is getting very close (making an appointment this week) to him getting nutered, would this help this at all? Yesterday in puppy class he tryed to mount a female doggie for the first time and he did it again today:eek: , before now he only did it to his toy piggy. Would this all be fixed by nutering? I am going to ask our trainer about it soon but I just though I would get advice from you lovely people:thumbs up . Thanks so much!

Jen

Prin
February 5th, 2006, 07:52 PM
Not all of it will be fixed with the neutering. Neutering won't help with you being the alpha. When your dog was humping another, did the trainer say anything? If not, I think I'd switch trainers.

Jenmlf
February 5th, 2006, 08:11 PM
I stopped it before he actually started humping so she didn't see. Oh well, looks like we have A LOT of work to do :o

Prin
February 5th, 2006, 08:28 PM
I don't know if you should try for one on one lessons if you have the extra cash... You might need more intensive training starting off.

Have you read the NILF stuff around this site? A lot of people here believe in it.:) Good luck.