Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

mole like presence on belly

shario
November 6th, 2003, 04:03 AM
my dog has something that looks like a mole on his belly. I've never seen anything like it before. It's been getting bigger. The vet I saw said that she didn't know what it was, she could do surgery, remove it then go from their. Any idea's. Is it just a mole or should I be doing something to help? It doesn't seem to bother him however I'd rather be safe than sorry.

Carina
November 6th, 2003, 06:58 AM
I'd have the vet remove it, to be on the safe side. I would do this if it was one of my dogs, especially with something that is growing or changing shape.

Can't she do a skin scraping or something so she can determine what it is?

shario
November 7th, 2003, 12:12 AM
I have a rot too!! Spoiled as well. I know I should probably have it removed however I'm not sure how soon I can do it. If I know it is serious I would borrow the money to have it done. I'm in between jobs and the moment. I guess I'm looking for someone who has possibly had the same experience. I've never seen it before and have been unable to find somewhere on the internet to research his problem. Any suggestions.

Carina
November 7th, 2003, 06:15 AM
Aren't Rottweilers cool dogs? :)

Anyhow - it's real difficult for anyone to be able to tell you what to do or what this mole thingie is from online. Since Rottweilers are one of the more cancer-prone breeds, I'd err on the side of caution rather than taking a wait & see approach, were he my dog - how old is he?

Older dogs can get little benign skin tags, warts & such, that are no big deal. I'd be more concerned with this thing in a young dog. Is it one of his nipples, perhaps, that's changing colours or shape?

I'd think removing it would be pretty inexpensive; something that could be done with a local anaesthetic. (I'm not a veterinary professional, that's just a guess.) Maybe your vet will take a couple of payments?

shario
November 11th, 2003, 01:55 AM
Yesss.... he's the sweetest..... His name is LIL' Tank....

I didn't know that about the cancer. It really concerns me now after you saying that. It looks like a wart in a way at the base but ist round like a mole.

When I get it checked out I will let you know!!!

Thanks for the discussion!!!

Carina
November 11th, 2003, 04:06 PM
Well good luck with him, do let me know!

I didn't mean to scare you about the cancer thing - chances are it's completely benign. But better safe than sorry. I had two small lumps removed from my last Rottie & both were benign - one was a viral something-or-other on his snout, and one was...I can't remember. Harmless anyhow. But another Rottweiler had a lymphatic cancerous tumor removed when he was less than two years old (he passed away from unrelated causes at four) and another Rottie died of osteosarcoma (bone cancer) at age nine.

This is one reason I don't feed commercial food to my dogs; there is evidence that it may contribute to certain cancers. Over three years & nary a lump or other health issue, so far so good! :)

Luba
November 11th, 2003, 10:06 PM
My Terrier X had when he got older wart type things on his head and above his eye. We had them surgically removed, they were benign but later much later in years he developed cancer of the adrenal gland. Could have been predisposed to tumours that turn cancerous.

Maybe have it taken care of

Luba