-->

drug dealers using pups to smuggle drugs

lezzpezz
February 2nd, 2006, 09:44 AM
From today's rag....

DRUG DEALERS USE PUPS TO SMUGGLE
Thursday, February 2, 2006

Dateline: NEW YORK

Colombian drug dealers turned puppies into couriers by surgically implanting them with packets of heroin, U.S. authorities said yesterday.
Investigators believe the ring used the dogs, as well as human drug swallowers, to conceal millions of dollars in liquid heroin on commercial flights.

Ten puppies were rescued during a 2005 raid on a farm in Colombia, the Drug Enforcement Administration said, while announcing more than 30 arrests.

A veterinarian had stitched a total of three kilograms of heroin into the bellies of six pups. Three later died from infections after the drugs were removed.

It was unclear how many dogs were used overall and investigators do not know their fate after they arrived on U.S. soil, said the DEA's John Gilbride.

"I think it's outrageous and heinous that they'd use small, innocent puppies in this way," he said.

Sickos....how cruel....:(

HunterXHunter
February 2nd, 2006, 10:57 AM
Those b@st@rds! It's bad enough they're using humans, but now innocent puppies as well!?!?!? I mean, at least the humans get paid...these lil' pups were probably just left for dead or reused over and over until they did...

joeysmama
February 2nd, 2006, 11:10 AM
And the humans, presumably, exercised free will. And a veterinarian did this !?!?!:eek: People will do anything for money won't they?

gottahavepets
February 2nd, 2006, 11:18 AM
It is horrible and insane that any HUMAN BEING would think this was a good way to smuggle drugs! It didn't go well for the horse on CSI (fictional of course) and it very likely won't go well for these poor puppies either.Ugh I'd like to :evil: somebody.

CyberKitten
February 2nd, 2006, 11:23 AM
I saw this on CNN and watched a longer video on the CNN web site - they were all cute lab puppies!! And one looked like my lab nephew who is a chocolate lab - just like him when he was a baby ("ours" is 3 now) - I imagine the vet was paid big bucks and if s/he is in Colombia, may never be caught or could be someone whose family was threatened or maybe it was someone who was not even a vet - many ppl have skills to sew sutures. (medics, etc. - I hate to think even some sick doctor might have done this for money or some addiction, sigh!). But if they durvived so lomg, it might have been a vet who knew animals. It's all so sick!! I am sure the animals were expenible - and may even have been bred for those purposes. There was a case where that was the situation - tho not with purebred puppies a few yrs ago.

poodletalk
February 2nd, 2006, 02:34 PM
I have heard of this before, instead of using pups they used donkeys

joeysmama
February 2nd, 2006, 09:48 PM
There was a segment on television this evening and the investigator said that he has also seen small children used in the same way. They are forced to swallow condoms and rubber glove pieces filled with heroin in it's purest forms. This is discovered when the chidren become seriously ill and are taken to the emergency room where some of them have died.

Incomprehensible to me.

twodogsandacat
February 3rd, 2006, 07:25 AM
I read in Todays Globe and Mail that a Rotti pup saved from these SOBS is now working with the Columbian police.....payback I hope.

Of course we can only guess at the fate of these dogs who as nothing more than carriers were probably discarded as 'packaging'.

A reprint of the article from an online source:
http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/news/world/13781768.htm

Puppy turns tables on drug traffickersROTTWEILER IMPLANTED WITH HEROIN IN TRAINING TO TRACK SMUGGLERS DOWNBy Joshua GoodmanAssociated PressBOGOTÁ, Colombia -- Meet Heroina, the latest -- and surely cuddliest -- crusader in the U.S.-backed war on drugs.
The purebred Rottweiler was one of six fluffy black and beige puppies found in a raid on a clandestine veterinary clinic in Colombia, each with about a pound of heroin implanted inside their bellies.
Investigators believe a Colombian-based heroin trafficking ring used the dogs, as well as human couriers who swallowed the drugs, to conceal millions of dollars of heroin on commercial flights into New York for distribution on the East Coast.
The canines, with bags of liquid heroin surgically sewn in their abdomens, were shipped to drug traffickers posing as dog trainers wanting Labrador and Rottweiler purebreds for dog shows, Colombia's national police said.
Details of Heroina's saga were revealed this week, more than a year after the January 2005 raid, when Drug Enforcement Administration agents in New York announced that her former handlers were among 22 people nabbed in Colombia.
Ten of the suspects are already subject to U.S. extradition requests, DEA official Erin Mulvey told the Associated Press on Thursday.
Ten other members of the drug ring were arrested last year in New York, Florida and North Carolina, and more than 52 pounds of heroin were seized in the two-year investigation, the DEA and Colombian authorities said.
It was unclear how many dogs might have been used in the smuggling scheme, said John P. Gilbride, who runs the DEA's New York office. ``I think it's outrageous and heinous that they'd use small, innocent puppies in this way,'' he said.
Heroina was the only female among the three pups who survived after the drugs were removed by veterinarians in Colombia. Three others died of infections after the surgery.
After a lengthy recovery, the pooch was adopted by Colombia's Judicial Police in Medellín and given the name Heroina, a play on the Spanish words for both the illegal narcotic and a heroic female.
Today, she's being trained to be part of a small army of Colombian dogs that sniff out drugs, and her two surviving companions are enjoying a dog's life as police officers' pets, said Gabriel Jaime Gutíerrez, a police official in Medellín.
Customs agents at Colombian airports now use body-scanning devices to spot drugs concealed in capsules and plastic condoms and swallowed by human travelers. But pets shipped as cargo often bypass these devices.
A far bigger concern for anti-drug forces is that the same traffickers behind the puppy ring may also have found a way of concealing drugs from even the most sophisticated drug detection technology.
As part of the investigation, officials tailed a woman they knew was transporting heroin for the ring. Upon interrogation by DEA officials in Miami, she became nervous and vomited up several drug-containing capsules, but only after she had slipped through body scans in both countries.
Police in Bogotá said the drug smugglers covered the capsules with a substance that made them invisible.
The case not only shows how far traffickers will go to conceal drug shipments -- but also shows the prominent role played by Colombia, the world's top cocaine supplier, in the trade of heroin, an even more lucrative drug.
According to the latest statistics available, Colombian and DEA agents seized more than 1,650 pounds of heroin in 2004, said Gen. Jorge Alirio Barón, Colombia's anti-narcotics police chief.
That's a pittance compared with the record 186 tons of cocaine Colombia seized last year, but owing to its almost 100 percent purity, heroin can be far more lucrative for smugglers.
``DEA officials in Boston told us that the street value of a kilogram (2.2 pounds) of heroin is $250,000 when the same amount of cocaine doesn't even fetch a tenth of that,'' Baron said.
The cultivation in Colombia of opium poppies, the base ingredient of heroin, has fallen dramatically to about 3,700 acres under President Álvaro Uribe's tenure, and authorities aim to eliminate the remaining crop this year, Barón said.
But because valuable amounts can be transported in very small quantities, heroin trafficking can be hard to detect.
``We're talking about very small amounts -- a half-kilo bust is a big deal,'' said Baron.

Terrie
February 5th, 2006, 11:51 AM
A member of Colombia's National Police holds a puppy in whose stomach two bags containing liquid heroine were found. (Getty Images)

Drug Puppies

Dose

NEW YORK - Colombian smugglers used puppies as drug mules to sneak heroin into the United States.

Twenty-one Columbians have been arrested for smuggling 20 kilograms of heroin with a street value of $20 million, including 3 kg of liquid heroin packets that were inside six Labrador Retriever puppies.

Colombian police found puppies with scars on their bellies at a makeshift veterinarian clinic, the Drug Enforcement Administration told Reuters. Ultrasound scans revealed the heroin hidden inside the dogs, three of which later died of infection. The traffickers planned to retrieve the heroin once the dogs made it though customs.

“The organization's outrageous and heinous smuggling method of implanting heroin inside puppies is a true indication of the extent that drug dealers go to make their profit," DEA Special Agent-in-Charge John Gilbride told Reuters.

The surviving puppies are now living with families in Columbia.

How can people be so cruel ???
I can't believe they would surgically implant drugs into an innocent puppy..
If only they had an ounce of sense and implanted themselves, life would be better !:mad: ( sorry, but I'm very upset )

White Wolf
February 5th, 2006, 12:23 PM
Two threads on the subject were merged to avoid confusion.

meggie1425
February 5th, 2006, 07:09 PM
Thats terrible!!:mad: I hate how arrogant humans can be towards poor defensless animals!:sad: