Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Obsessive Cleaning...

jesse's mommy
February 5th, 2006, 08:16 AM
In the past I've posted about Jesse's uncontrollable licker and it's always been cute, but last night it was beyond uncontrollable and actually obsessive. It lasted (no joke) for 35 minutes. She has this routine before we go to bed. First she starts with me and "cleans" my face and my hands, but it doesn't last that long. She then switches to Jim and cleans and cleans and cleans. His face, neck top of his head, his ears, back of his neck, back of his head, face again, mouth, nose, etc., etc. She cleans him like she hasn't seen him in six months -- every night! I joke with Jim that she is in love with him and this is her way of loving him more than me. :D Anyway, we've always encouraged kisses over aggression, so yes this is partially our fault (we also warn people before they walk though the door). I also know pits are known to be obsessive and will do anything to please their masters and this is why she takes it to the extreme. The other thing is before we moved to Florida I was here for a month staying with the inlaws and he was still in Maryland and she really didn't clean Jim. My thought was her routine was broken with me not being there and she just missed me. :D Now here is my question, should we be concerned with the jump from a 10 minute cleaning to a 35 minute cleaning and what are your thoughts on why she does this? She's been doing it since she was a baby, but now it's seriously an obsession for her. I think she needs a psychiarist or a lickers anonymous group! Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

downloader
February 5th, 2006, 10:56 AM
maybe she is just bored, or wants attention. Try getting her to play ball or some other activity.

www.bluewhippet.net

jesse's mommy
February 5th, 2006, 03:50 PM
Do you have any idea how much activity this dog gets? It's definitely not that. The thing is, as soon as she finishes cleaning, she goes to the end of the bed and goes to sleep. I seriously think she's in love with Jim. She will actually climb into his lap and sit on his lap, wrap her arms around Jim's neck, and hug and kiss him -- just like I've done in the past. It's just really getting to be an obsession. Let's put it this way, if she were a human she would probably have already been arrested for molestation. I'm not even joking, it was 35 minutes last night that she cleaned him. I just don't know if my dog is mental or not.

Shaykeija
February 5th, 2006, 11:27 PM
Maybe he just tastes good.:p

jesse's mommy
February 6th, 2006, 06:08 AM
I guess that could be the case. Maybe it's the beer coming through his pores! :D