Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Vaccination and First Walk

Vanillamom
February 4th, 2006, 11:33 PM
Hello! I am a new puppy owner, and this is my first posting. I took my pup (Bichon Frise) to her new vet for the first time today, and she got her second shot at the age of 9 weeks. The vet told me I can already start walking her outside (parks and public streets) and that it is OK unless she contacts other dogs. I've read everywhere (in books and on the internet) that a puppy should not walk on public streets and in parks before he gets the third shot. I told this to the vet, but she confirmed that it is absolutely OK, adding that there could be a risk of my pup's picking up something that would cause a disease and that that would even happen to an adult dog that completed his vaccination program. Of course, I'd like to take her outside as soon as possible to expose her to any kind of environment and get her used to walking on the leash etc. I am now very confused. What and who should I believe? Thank you for your advice in advance!

Inverness
February 5th, 2006, 07:55 AM
Hi Vanillamom ! Welcome ! :)

There are two things to consider with a pup of that age: the need to have him protected from disease and the absolute urgency to extra socialize him ! :party: Since he now has received his second sets of vaccine, your pup does have a protection against viral disease. You'd have to be very unlucky to walk on the side walk and, say, walk into the same exact spot where another dog shedded a viral infection. I would definitely start taking the pup out, get him used to the leash, have him see people, cars, trucks, hear noises, etc. This is crucial for his development. Keeping your pup away from everything for another month will have you and him miss out on some very important socialization cues. My way of seeing things is to look at the pros and cons. Keeping him inside will indeed protect him more from infections, but you'll lose time with the socialization.

However, I would definitely NOT take him to any dog park or playdates with dogs you don't know. The safe way of having meet other dogs at this time, which is also very important, is to take him to a friend's house where you know the dog is fully healthy, vaccinated and has not come into contact with any viral disease recently (so no dog park dwellers !).

Pic please ? :D

Vanillamom
February 5th, 2006, 03:09 PM
Thank you for your quick response and advice, Inverness!! I now feel much better. :) I felt urged to take my pup out for her socialization, but at the same time I was very afraid she would get any disease. So I was kind of torn... However, you absolutely convinced me that I should start walking her right away. Actually I took her out and walked her on the pavement a little. I live downtown Toronto, and my neighborhood is very noisy. She was so scared.... Ooooh, poor puppy...it was windy and cold too...., but I hope she will get used to it very soon!!!

Thank you so much here again, Inverness!! I've attached a pic of my pup.

jesse's mommy
February 5th, 2006, 03:41 PM
What a cute little puffball!

chico2
February 5th, 2006, 04:20 PM
Awww,is she ever sweet,good luck with your pup:love:

Vanillamom
February 5th, 2006, 04:58 PM
Hi jesse's mommy & chico2!

Thank you for your nice comments on my puppy named Vanilla. She is just 9 weeks old, but is such a good girl!

Inverness
February 5th, 2006, 11:29 PM
Wow, that's a cute little guy ! :love:

Bushfire2000
February 5th, 2006, 11:32 PM
Vanilla is a great name for a Bichon. She is so cute!!