Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Meds for Coopers bottom ??

joeysmama
February 4th, 2006, 10:39 AM
Ok, doggie tush question. Cooper is extra furry. Very cute -- exept when he poops and the fur gets in the way. He was in for a grooming but our groomer didn't do a whole lot of trimming since she was more concerned with it being a positive experience and not pushing him too much in the beginning. So we did clip a little ourselves but still there were "clingers".

Yesterday I had him at the vet to get his stitches out (neutered last week) and I told her about the problem, thinkin gshe would clip him, and she shaved around his bottom. Well I think she gave him a little bit of a close shave because he's very uncomfortable. Every now and then he jumps suddenly and tries to nibble. Or he will cry and try to walk away from his own behind (hard to explain) And of course if he's on a rough surface like a rug or bedspread he tries to scoot.

Well I won't let anyone shave him again !! But in the meantime is there anything I can put on it to give him some relief? My husband wanted to buy some Preparation H or Ben-Gay. He even asked about using Tea Tree Oil.:eek: OUCH !!! I'm really afraid to put anything there that might be toxic, since he can lick it, and probably would if there was anything on it. Hubby put a little Vaseline on there but I don't really know if that will do any good.

I'm sure it will be better when it grows in but until then he's uncomfortable. And such a sweet little guy shouldn't have to be miserable you know?

Any suggestions?

joeysmama
February 4th, 2006, 04:56 PM
I'm just bringing this to the top because poor Coop is SOO miserable. It's getting worse since he tries to scoot all the time. My husband is calling the vet and I'm not wanting to take him back there. This is ridiculous. Who would have thought that she would shave him down to the raw skin??

We've got Lanacane, and prepartion H and vaseline. My husband is thinking that maybe some anbesol or ora-jel might work?

We're trying to carry him so he can't make it worse but he cries and squirms until we put him down. And he's normally ok with his crate if we're out or it's bedtime but otherwise he wants to be where the people are.

Anyway--I'm thinking a little vaseline won't be too harmful if it makes it less uncomfortable but wanted your opinions.

I'm so ticked off right now and we're kicking ourselves for mentioning it to the vet. :mad:

raingirl
February 4th, 2006, 06:10 PM
Have you tried Aloe? That would probably be the best thing. It's also safe if the dog licks it.

I have VERY sensitive skin and once got a bad rash from a shaving cream. THe only thing that worked was Aloe and a little calamine lotion here and there.

joeysmama
February 4th, 2006, 07:23 PM
Oh Raingirl thank you !! I hadn't thought of Aloe. And I didn't know that it was safe. I'll go get some now !

BMDLuver
February 4th, 2006, 07:25 PM
Coopers anal glands are impacted and although they have been emptied the problem is most likely further up. They have contractions in the glands which are painful and make him do the jump up and lick or look back. Most likely he needs a script of vanectyl-P for him to ride it out. We just went through this very thing with an OES.

joeysmama
February 4th, 2006, 07:40 PM
How would his anal glands have gotten impacted? Is it conicidental or could it have something to do with the surgery and/or the shaving?

Will he need anything other than the script or will that just get him through until the pain passes? Do you think I should call them and ask for that tonight or wait until morning?

Am I asking enough questions for one post? LOL !! He's only 5 and a half months and he's definitely our baby. We even put a sheet of tissue paper on the floor to distract him and he didn't try to rip it up. That's when we KNEW he was unhappy !!

BMDLuver
February 5th, 2006, 09:37 AM
Sometimes they can't get in to fully empty the gland. They get the most part but don't get it all. We've had two dogs recently who although recently being at the groomers, did not have them fully emptied. We took them back to the vet and they emptied them again taking a look at the fluid. If it's not infected, then they give VanectylP for the discomfort.

As for how they got impacted, sometimes just too loose a stool in a dog can cause them to not stimulate the gland enough resulting in them filling too rapidly.

Just speak with your vet and explain the symptoms and he/she will be able to guide you on a program for him.