Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Questions to interview new vets

dogznfish
February 4th, 2006, 10:35 AM
Since we are now all moved to Edmonton, the next step is finding a good vet. I've read some threads where people have talked about interviewing their vets prior to bringing their pets in. What sort of questions would you put to the vet? I was lucky in my old city, the vet was a member of our agility club and was very approachable to new ideas and methods. Very upfront with any health issues that there may have been and very compassionate as well. At this rate I'm going to drive 6 hours to go to see her :)

Thanks!

Lise
February 4th, 2006, 12:17 PM
When we moved I was lucky and my old vet knew one of the vets in our new area and highly recommended her.I use vet in area for routine vacc/checkups and emergencies,but I still go back to my old vet if a major problem comes up.I have been friends with my old vet for years and board her dogs,so she has no problem with this arrangement and the vet in the area also knows her well so she's fine with it too.Maybe your vet could also give you some names in your new area.

divinecalamity
February 4th, 2006, 04:22 PM
I live in Edmonton, and I love the vet we go to. I have never asked her "interview" questions per say, I just like the way she answers my everyday questions and talks to me like I am an equal not some dumb person like I have had others do. the clinic I go to is mill creek animal hosp, depending on where you live in edmonton you may want to check it out..here is the webs site www.millcreekvet.com and we see Dr. Jocelyn Fredlund. I have lived in edmonton for 3 1/2 years and this was the second vet we saw and liked her so we stayed there. Good luck in your search for a vet. :) :pawprint:

mummummum
February 4th, 2006, 11:25 PM
When I went Vet "shopping" I had begun to look at a more natural, holistic approach to animal health, feeding and care so most of our dialogue centred on their knowledge of and feelings about herbs and supplements, BARF & other diets, acupuncture/pressure, Reiki and so on on. I was interested in their education and training, which medical/health journals they kept up-to-date on, as well as any special interests (medical, health, training, sports/agility etc.) they might have developed in animal care along the way. I briefly explained what I was looking for in health care and asked them whether they thought their approach was compatible. My focus was not so much on finding a Vet who took an entirely homeopathic approach to health as finding one who was open to thinking beyond what they were taught. I paid attention to their behaviour - how quickly did start to seem like they wanted to be done with me? Did they speak in plain English? Did they say "Hmmm, I've never heard of that - I should find out more"? Usually within ten minutes I knew whether we would or wouldn't be able to establish a relationship with good communication. And of course there's the usual stuff like office hours, costs. Good luck - it looks like Divinecalamity has already given you a helping hand!