Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

HELP! Our Pug has Demodex Mites/Mange

Matt and Amanda
February 4th, 2006, 08:06 AM
Our 15 wk old pug was just diagnosed with demodex mites (mange). It is localized to one area on his forehead.

He was at our vet yesterday and the vet said that the best treatment was an injection that was not currently approved for use in Canada but that he has been using with a 100 percent success rate. I think that the vaccine is called Imovec. He will be getting one injection every week for 6 to a possible 18 weeks, and each visit will cost $44, until the mange is cured.

We spoke over the phone to a couple of other vets and they agreed that they have used this treatment in some cases.

Just wondering if anyone has been in our situation and what method was used to treat your dog's mange, and what was the success rate? Has anyone had these Imovec injections?

AND... SORRY FOR THE LONG POST... but we bought Zeus from a breeder, who seemed reputable and was registed with the CKC. Our vet indicated that the mange was indefinetly passed on by his mother. Is there anything we can do as far as approaching the breeder for compensation? We received a 2 year health guarantee when we purchased him and feel that maybe they could be responsible for atleast some of the possible $900 worth of treatment that lies ahead.

THX again!!!

Lucky Rescue
February 4th, 2006, 09:50 AM
Demodex mites are found in the hair follicles of most dogs, but do not cause problems.

In puppies, the condition usually clears up on it's own when the puppy's immune system fully kicks in at around 10 months old.

It is localized to one area on his forehead.

Many reputable breeders and vets agree that if the affected area is very small and localized, that no treatment is needed, since the very act of injecting pesticides into the dog can temporarily, but further, compromise the immune system and give the mites a stronger hold on the dog.

Anything that lowers the immune system (like spay/neuter surgery) should be held off until the mange clears up.

What is your puppy eating? Feed a very high quality, meat-based food, as nutrition is a vital part of building a healthy immune system. You might use a topical treatment for itching if it's severe and keep a close eye on the situation, checking your puppy all over frequently.

The fact that your puppy has this is not an indication of bad breeding. The mites can be contracted from the mother after birth, but it doesn't mean she has mange it just means that like most dogs, she has the mites.

The guarantee on the puppy is probably for genetic defects and this is not considered to be one of them, since any puppy can get it.

It's up to you what you want to do, but if this were my puppy, I would leave it alone and concentrate on building up the immune system.

StaceyB
February 4th, 2006, 10:39 AM
One of my students has this same condition. His is caused by stress and a weakened immune system. The vet had suggested to try vitamin E which helps to improve their immune system to clear it up before resorting to chemical meds. It has worked for him. It is not a condition that passes to other dogs.

Matt and Amanda
February 4th, 2006, 11:55 AM
We have been feeding Zeus Nutrience Brand Small Breed Puppy Food- we were told at the SuperPet that it was a good quality food and the vet agreed. Any opinions?

StaceyB
February 5th, 2006, 08:44 PM
How is your puppy doing?
Nutrience is not top of the line but it is better than some other choices.
Do you have your puppy enrolled in puppy classes yet?

jessi76
February 6th, 2006, 09:29 AM
My pup had demodex too....a few localized spots on his belly, and one near the base of his tail. We used GOODWINOL ointment as prescribed by out vet. It wasn't expensive, and you just put it on the spots until they clear up - for us, it took a few months. We got a SMALL jar of this ointment, and still have HALF a jar left - it lasts - and works.

Honestly, I recommend trying the ointment first. ask your vet for it, GOODWINOL ointment. it's been around for a long time.

Titan
February 13th, 2006, 08:57 AM
I have a rat terrier/ch mix that also has this on his head. Its been about a month and half since if very first started and the vet said that if its only one spot to leave him alone and it would go away by its self, if it is in more than one spot that we would have to dip him or some other treatment. We have left it alone, I got some anit itch spray and it seems to help him and it if going away, slowly but it is clearing up. He is actually due for shots next month, if it is still there I am going to ask the vet about the ointment, wasn't told about that, but than again the vet was an *******, we have switched since than, but he hasn't seen this dog yet.

jessi76
February 13th, 2006, 10:31 AM
I have a rat terrier/ch mix that also has this on his head. Its been about a month and half since if very first started and the vet said that if its only one spot to leave him alone and it would go away by its self, if it is in more than one spot that we would have to dip him or some other treatment.

if it's just one spot - dipping should not be necessary. Our vet said they only use the dip as a very last resort - and would never consider using it on a puppy. Definately inquire about the ointment, IF the spot does not go away. as the others mentioned, building up the immune system should help alot.

LouieMoose
February 18th, 2006, 05:01 PM
Our dog had demodex mites around one of his eyes, our vet wanted to do blood work and take a skin scrapping from the area (would have been pretty expensive too), after reading some posts on here I decided to wait it out b/c I read that with localized demodex they will usually clear up on their own after 6-8 weeks. Sure enough after about a month it was all clear.

wdawson
February 18th, 2006, 05:17 PM
My pup had demodex too....a few localized spots on his belly, and one near the base of his tail. We used GOODWINOL ointment as prescribed by out vet. It wasn't expensive, and you just put it on the spots until they clear up - for us, it took a few months. We got a SMALL jar of this ointment, and still have HALF a jar left - it lasts - and works.

Honestly, I recommend trying the ointment first. ask your vet for it, GOODWINOL ointment. it's been around for a long time.

when i mentioned goodwinol my vet scratched his head....then said he will look into it then wanted too do blood work and a biopsy.....finally we gave beathoven a dose of revolution and all cleared up.

wdawson
February 18th, 2006, 05:28 PM
We have been feeding Zeus Nutrience Brand Small Breed Puppy Food- we were told at the SuperPet that it was a good quality food and the vet agreed. Any opinions?

i'm now feeding 1 can of merrick and 2 cups of solid gold hounden flocken puppy per day.......i used too feed alot more science diet before coming to this site......ask prin and technodoll about food they will tell you about raw feed and commercial food. as far as the mange........i had our vet apply 1 dose of revolution........cleared up his one spot.