Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Snappy Chihuahua Help!

itsjoyfromla
February 4th, 2006, 02:26 AM
Hello Everyone! This is my first post. I have a big dilemma. Our chihuahua daschund mix puppy (6 months) snaps and bites. I don't know what to do. He is very good with me but he snaps at my husband and other men. He barks a lot. He is too agressive that my husband thinks we might have to give him up. He is the love of my life!!!:love: Any suggestions???

Thanks!:usa:

Inverness
February 4th, 2006, 07:28 AM
Hello, and welcome ! :pawprint:

Let me just comment on one little thing first: you say your husband said if the puppy keeps behaving like he does, you'll have to give him up. Give him up to who ? Transfer the problem to someone else ? Place an ad in the papers saying "Aggressive dog to give away" ? :eek:

OK, maybe we can try and help you work it out instead ? ;)

Sounds like your pup is showing signs of fear biting. This is something you can work on, but it needs to be done quickly as he is 6 months old already.

Can you give us more info on the pup's background ? Where did he come from ? What kind of socialization did he get as a young puppy ? What about now ? Did you go to puppy kindergarden with him ? Have you had him neutered already ?

Then we can work from there. :thumbs up

Lucky Rescue
February 4th, 2006, 09:57 AM
Your puppy is a mix of two breeds who can be territorial (possessive of one person - Chi) and dominant (doxie).

But with proper training, there's no reason he cannot be a good pet!

Do you carry him around? Is he always on the furniture? What do you do when he snaps or growls?

What type of training has he had?

Inverness is right - there aren't too many people out there looking for a dog who bites.

itsjoyfromla
February 4th, 2006, 11:18 AM
Thanks for your reply. I purchased him from a lady on the street. When she was 2 months old, I left him with a friend because I had to leave the country for 3 weeks. He has been to kindergarten and had private training at home but we did not follow up. I know I have to do my homework too. :D

Lucky Rescue
February 4th, 2006, 12:30 PM
You didn't answer the questions but for bossy, snappy, possessive and pushy little dogs (IF that is what he is)

here is a great link. Everyone in the home must follow it to the letter!:)
http://www.sonic.net/~cdlcruz/GPCC/library/alpha.htm

janyba
February 4th, 2006, 06:53 PM
I agree totally with the last post. We adopted an agressive dog almost 4 years ago and with alot of patience and dedication have helped her become a wonderful and loving dog. She's now 7 and we know that we can never let her climb back to the alpha position (except with our other younger dog).

BMDLuver
February 4th, 2006, 07:23 PM
Both chi's and doxie's are big dog attitude in little dog's bodies. Do not tolerate the snapping, nor the barking.. Be firm, explain the rules and take away all the priveledges. Definitely start using the link LR gave you. Also, make your husband the primary care giver, meaning have him be the one to feed and care for the pup, switch roles. This dog needs to learn that both members of the household are alpha and switching roles will help to show that. Patience and perseverance will help all of you through this.

itsjoyfromla
February 4th, 2006, 11:37 PM
Do you carry him around?

My husband and I carry him around sometimes. He walks around the house freely except when we are not home, then he stays in his ex pen. If we take him out, he's always on a leash becuase if not, he'll just run off from us.

Is he always on the furniture?

He sleeps with us on the bed. His bed is in our bedroom. Our house is under construction right now so we don't have any place to put him safer. My husband brings him up the couch and snuggles with him. He treats him like he is his playmate.

What do you do when he snaps or growls?

When he snaps at me, I tap his nose and tell him "bad boy". Then, I ignore him for a minute or so. My husband tells him "bad boy" and petting him at the same time. I have told my husband that he is giving Fred mixed signals and actually, rewarding him from snapping. Also, if he growls or snaps at people, we tried to give the person a treat and hand it to him. So far it works but he is not a big eater and does not care about treats.

What type of training has he had?

He had group puppy class and private lessons (for 6 sessions). He did not do well at all. This is embarrasing but we did not practice either. So no results. :sad:

t90princesst
February 7th, 2006, 07:49 PM
one thing i learned with our puppy is consistancy. he knows he cant get away with much wiht me but with my boyfriend he's more lenient so i sat him down and said look, if we want him to grow up to be a dog with manners you have to back me up and teecee is doing a lot better now. they know who they can do stuff with and who they cant. and when your husband is consistant with your actions it mite improve your puppy's behavior a lot =0)

Lucky Rescue
February 7th, 2006, 08:55 PM
My husband tells him "bad boy" and petting him at the same time. I have told my husband that he is giving Fred mixed signals and actually, rewarding him from snapping. Also, if he growls or snaps at people, we tried to give the person a treat and hand it to him. So far it works but he is not a big eater and does not care about treats

You're right.Everyone is rewarding him for snapping, with pets and treats. Why should he stop?;) Your hubby has to realize that when he does this, what your dog hears is "Good boy! Keep snapping and growling!"

I would get him off the furniture for now. When he learns to behave he may come back up only when invited and must get off when asked to.

You need to make your husband understand that he going to cause even more serious problems if he keeps up what he's doing. Dogs lose their lives for biting/aggression. You must also not have people give him treats for growling and biting.

If you (and your hubby) follow the instructions in the link I gave you, I'm sure things will improve AND your dog will happier too when the burden of being in charge of the house is lifted from him!:)