Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

A Comfortable Home Temperature

Shamrock
February 3rd, 2006, 09:36 PM
What's the ideal heat temp for a home?

Depends on one's own comfort level, doesnt it? Some people just feel the cold (or the heat) more than others.
If you have different needs.. a compromise is needed.
Or... you can engage in "thermostat wars":p

I prefer a cool house...I always keep the temp fairly low during the day,about 15 - 18C, .. and at night I like the heat off completely.

But my husband often finds this too chilly. Thirty min. after he's home from work, I suddenly notice I'm stifling,:D. Oh... no wonder.. its 25 now. Thats "his" comfort level.

I turn it down.. way down. Later..frostbite apparently looming for him, back up it goes. (the worst thing from a energy standpoint)
At some point we usually agree on both just leaving the thing alone
We're supposed to have a compromise of 20C, but both are guilty of not sticking to it.

If I feel chilly, I usually just put on a sweater . Heating up the house to a tropical tempature is his remedy.. Doesnt wear sweaters.. never has. Not likely to start now, after all these years
He doesnt "have to" wear one.. in the same way that I dont have to keep the windows closed.:D
Both so wasteful a solution.

Do you prefer a toasty warm or cool home, and does your signifigant other agree?

joeysmama
February 3rd, 2006, 10:37 PM
I am ALWAYS cold. I would keep the temp set at 72 and probably still feel that it could be warmer. My husband would turn it down to 64 and be perfectly happy. Some of our worst "discussions" are about the thermostat.

A few weeks ago in church I noticed people fanning themselves with their bulletins. I thought "hmmm...they must think it's warm in here." I was comfortable, but not really warm. And this morning I was out to breakfast and all of a sudden I wondered if they had turned on the air conditioing but my friends said that someone had just opened a window because it was so stifling hot. Stifling !?!?!? I thought it was just comfy.

cindyann
February 3rd, 2006, 11:25 PM
Myself hubby two sons and five cats like to be warm.. luckily we have a wood stove and hubby cuts most of are firewood his self. Its usually 78 inside my house. And we are just right...

chico2
February 4th, 2006, 09:53 AM
We keep ours at 20C,about 68F,I am one of those cold people:D I always wear an extra sweater inside in the winter.Cheaper than paying humungus heatingbills:thumbs up
Cat(Vinnie) sleeping on the registers don't make me any warmer:D

Prin
February 4th, 2006, 11:29 AM
I keep my living room and kitchen at 20-21 degrees (when we're up) and my bedroom at 23 degrees (when we're sleeping). My boyfriend is very close in temp to me, so he doesn't adjust much.

When I was in Ireland, I paid 100 pounds a month on top of my rent just to heat my bedroom. I had the heater on full and was always cold. When I got home, the house was 18 degrees, which normally is freezing for me, and I was sweating.

And this morning I was out to breakfast and all of a sudden I wondered if they had turned on the air conditioing but my friends said that someone had just opened a window because it was so stifling hot. Stifling !?!?!? I thought it was just comfy.That's me! I'll be locked in a tiny classroom for 2 hours with 50 people, and by the end everybody is complaining about the heat. I'm sitting there noticing how as people leave, it's starting to get chilly.:D

oo When I was younger, my dad would set the thermostat to come on at 6 to heat to 18... I thought 18 was freezing to wake up in, so I reset it. My dad noticed and reset it again without me realizing. The next morning, I woke up and it was perfect. You could climb out from under the blankets without suffering. My dad came in my room and said, "Great. With all the playing with the thermostat, it fried and it's 36 degrees in here." lol :o

domesticzookeep
February 4th, 2006, 11:50 AM
I have my home programmed for 19C when I home....but will often bump it up to 22C if I'm having a lazy day & sweaters don't do the trick (reading, watching tv, computer work, etc). If I need to put it up past 23C - I know I'm coming down with something!

But my favourite is temp wars at the office! My 'cube was right underneath a vent - there were several times this past summer when its been SOOO COLD my colleague on the other side of the 'cube wall would put his toque on, and I'm at my desk with my winter jacket on! (we have work issued winter gear for doing field work, so it's always at the office). There were days when I was tempted to put the winter liner in - and I've only had to do that once in middle of winter (those jackets are *incredibly* warm :) ) Fortunately, I've been transferred to another office - I've lost my beautiful window, but at least I'm comfortable!

But, I suppose, I'll take that over the day at my old work place when the A/C broke down for 3 days in the middle of a July heat wave.....and of course, you can't even open the windows! We had some floor fans going, and the front door open, but it was literally 33C in the office! I actually walked into the office in the afternoon to be greeted (he moved into the 'receptionists' desk, right beside the door) by one of my colleagues who was wearing his swimming trunks - and nothing else(no kidding!) Now that's an imagine of my colleauges, I'd rather forget! :eek: Fortunately, that facility was for research - so rarely had visitors...

C.
:ca:

Frenchy
February 4th, 2006, 12:22 PM
I"m always cold.It has to be 24-25c for me to be comfy.But I live in a big and old house so it would be very expensive to keep it that way all the time.Usually I keep it at 22-23c and put on warm sweater and whool socks and cudle with the 3 fuzzbutts.

Joey.E.CockersMommy
February 4th, 2006, 04:13 PM
I like it around 21-22 during the day and we turn it down to about 17-18 at night to save on heating bills. I am always cold too, even when others are hot I usually will have a sweater or a jacket on.

joeysmama
February 4th, 2006, 04:36 PM
I really should have paid more attention in school. I don't know Celsius, although I do know that it makes a lot more sense than Fahrenheit.

The way I'm reading it you're all freezing your buns off !!

Writing4Fun
February 4th, 2006, 09:52 PM
Our temp is mainly set based on price, not comfort. :D We're usually around the 20 degree mark. The wood stove helps us out on those really frigid days. We find it easier to sleep when it's a touch cooler at night.

My parents' house is a whole other kettle of fish. Mom has serious heat flashes, so she wears sleeveless t's even in the winter, cracks windows and doors open while she's cooking, etc... Dad has circulation problems because of a work-related injury so he's constantly freezing, wrapped up in blankets, etc... They're always battling over the thermostat. Mom likes it at 18, Dad cranks it up to 25. I'm surprised the whole system hasn't just crashed on them. :D

Joey.E.CockersMommy
February 4th, 2006, 11:35 PM
joeys mama =
I really should have paid more attention in school. I don't know Celsius, although I do know that it makes a lot more sense than Fahrenheit.

The way I'm reading it you're all freezing your buns off !!

I have trouble converting to Faraneheit to, I did find this on the net one day when I was trying to figure what the temp was the day we were flying Joey to Vancouver

http://www.indykote.com/converter.htm

glasslass
February 5th, 2006, 12:36 AM
Thanks for the converter site! That's one web address I've added to my database of useful info. We like 21.1 until bedtime. Then, it's turned off completely. Cold room, warm bed. Any heat on during the night will make me really congested when I wake up. Love that down comforter!

Prin
February 5th, 2006, 01:28 AM
LOL Glasslass! We never use decimals... Even if a degree C is a bunch of degrees F, we still round it. ;)

glasslass
February 5th, 2006, 01:37 AM
hee hee hee
I've just learned something!

Prin
February 5th, 2006, 01:45 AM
It's funny because our weatherpeople are always wrong and I hear forecasts for the states and wonder how they can pinpoint the temp with such accuracy. Here even 1 degree is a range and they still get it wrong..:D

shannonRN
February 5th, 2006, 02:11 AM
I fall somewhere in the middle region, which invariably is 5-6 degrees too warm for "Mr Metabolism." Always a point of contention.