Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Jealousy in dogs

katieandclayton
February 3rd, 2006, 12:08 PM
I have two dogs, Sam who is about 18 months old and Kruger who is about ten months. Kruger (litterally a lost puppy) is attatched to my hip, which is fine with me until it comes time to give Sam the attention he needs. When Sam is ready for his quality time he makes it very obvious and you need both hands (he's a big dog for just one) to pet him the way he likes. Any suggestions on how to get Kruger to back off even for just ten minutes so that Sam can get the loving when he wants it. Playing isn't a problem, nor is walking, just the petting when I am here alone.

jessi76
February 3rd, 2006, 12:23 PM
I think it's a good opportunity to train, maybe a command like "on your blanket".

I have 2 cats and a dog. Now, my dog is still a pup (10 mths) so he does require ALOT of attention, but I refuse to give up quality time w/ my cats... so, I ask my dog to "take a break" - then "on your blanket". while I spend time w/ the cats - petting, playing, grooming, etc.

to my pup "take a break" means playtime is done, and to settle down.

"on your blanket" means his toosh had best stay on HIS blanket. I give him a filled kong or bone, and let him focus on that. he's still in the same room as me, so he's not excluded, but his job is to remain in that spot.