Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

cracked toenail

Hunter's_owner
February 3rd, 2006, 12:00 PM
A couple of weeks ago, I noticed Hunter licking his front paw, and when I looked ones of his nails was cracked. It wasn't too bad of a crack, I was able to cut off the cracked part, without causing him any pain,, and I didn't have to cut too close, so no big deal...

But today I noticed he was licking his back paw, and he didn't want me to look at it. But when I did, one of his back toenails is cracked off completely, and it bleeds a little bit, off and on, especially if he is in the snow.

What should I do about it? Would cleaning it myself be okay, or should he see a vet? I don't want to go through an emergency, because I don't think it is that serious, and with the weekend here, to make an appointment, it would be Monday before he is seen anyways...

Any suggestions???

Hunter's_owner
February 3rd, 2006, 12:20 PM
I just looked at it again, and you can see pink, where the nail is too short. Is this something that will require antibiotics???

Also, any suggestions as to what is causing so many cracked toenails?

Copper'sMom
February 3rd, 2006, 08:50 PM
Here's a thread about my dog's toenail with a picture attached. http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=17205

His nail was lifted up off of the quick(the pink part that you see on your dog's toe). In my dog's case, he had much of his quick exposed. As his nail was hanging, the vet had to cut it off. He was given antibiotics.

Some bleeding will happen when the quick is bumped or scraped. As long as it isn't bleeding excessively(to the point it won't stop) there are no worries. Allow your dog to lick the area just enough to clean it, but don't allow him to lick it excessively. The nail will take some time to grow back (a few weeks).

Should you see a vet? I would see a vet if there is a large amount of quick showing. If not, be sure it is kept clean. Do not allow him to lick excessively at the area. If he is in alot of pain, call the vet. They may tell you to give him an Aspirin to help with the pain if they don't think he needs to be seen.
My dog's nail broke again the other day, not near as bad. A little bit of his quick is exposed and he cleans it after he's been outside. He hides that foot from me, so I don't touch it(he's very sensitive about his feet oops, i mean paw). Other than that, the nail will grow back in time.

Let us know how Hunter makes out!

Also, any suggestions as to what is causing so many cracked toenails?
With my dog, it's when his nails get too long!

Hunter's_owner
February 3rd, 2006, 09:31 PM
Thanks Copper's mom for your reply, Its nice to hear from someone who went through the same thing.

Well, there isn't too much of a quick showing, and it is completely broken off, nothing hanging at all, not even close to as bad as the picture that you posted. Your poor doggy must have had a really hard time :sad: .

Hunter is the same as your dog, he is VERY sensitive about his "feet".

Anyways, I will keep it clean with hydrogen peroxide diluted with water (I don't want it to sting too much, he will freak out), and I'll keep on eye to it over the weekend. Hopefully it will get better without needing antibiotics :fingerscr

Again, Thanks so much for your response.

Prin
February 3rd, 2006, 11:57 PM
Other than cutting the nails, there isn't much you can do. Jemma's got very soft nails and no matter how short they are, they crack. :rolleyes: Good luck and I hope Hunter doesn't get infected. :fingerscr

Hunter's_owner
February 5th, 2006, 04:21 PM
Well, it is off to the vet tomorrow...:( ,
Today it bled a lot, every time he went outside.
Also today, he has been holding it off the floor quite a bit, so I'd really feel better if it was bandaged, just to keep it from getting worse, and to try to keep an infection away.