Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

broken rib

lauraPJ8
February 3rd, 2006, 03:21 AM
Hello! I'm wondering if anyone can help me out. I"m currently living in South Korea and my vet doesn't speak much English.

My dog (a 18 month old Siberian Husky-neutered-male) was savagely attacked by a rotty two days ago. Thanks to the help of some brave strangers we managed to get Eco away. However, he suffered a fair amount of damage, including a broken rib.

The rib feels like it's brocken in two. However, the xray is very unclear and doesnt' show much.

I guess I have a few questions.

First off-how long does this sort of thing usually take to heal?

Secondly-the vet said I should keep him as stationary as possible, since the rib could puncture an organ. My dog is hyper, and pain or no pain, he still keeps trying to jump around the room. Do you know if sedation would be a good idea-just for a week or something?

Should I get him a cage to keep him in while I"M gone?

I"m terrified something is going to happen-the vet here seems fairly incompetent and I dn't really know what to do.

ANy help would be appreciated. :(

Laura:o

Lucky Rescue
February 3rd, 2006, 11:02 AM
If you're sure he has only the broken rib and no other major damage, there really much that can be done, other than keeping him from leaping around.

A simple fracture should heal well in a few weeks, if you can keep him quiet!

If you have a crate, use that. If not, can you safely tether him your home?

What about his other injuries? Are they bad?

lauraPJ8
February 3rd, 2006, 09:44 PM
Hi, THanks for your reply.

His other injuries seem to be ok. He needed to get stitches all over his groin area for some deep wounds, but they don't seem to be bothering him anymore. He lost a lot of fur as well.

The rib appears to be the only problem-thus far it doens't seem to have punctured anythign internally-Eco is definitely in high spirits and HATING not going out. I'm having alot of troulbe keeping him calm. We've never put him in a crate (we don't even have one) and one online vet suggested that this might traumatize him further, since he has never been in one before.

I could try tying him up, but again he's never had anything like that-i think he might just chew the leash!!! haha. He's determined. :rolleyes:

He keeps jumping on the door to go out, jumping around the room, jupming non stop!!! I'm worried but I guess it's good that he's not too emotionally traumatized. I worry too that he'l be weird around big dogs now-he's not had much exposure to big dogs here as Koreans only like toy breeds....:queen:

Anyhow-thanks again... I'll try to tie him up and see how it works. You don't think sedation is a good option?

Lucky Rescue
February 3rd, 2006, 10:24 PM
Jumping around is dangerous. Could you just take him for really long but slow walks to exercise him? I know it's very hard to keep Huskies calm, but it's really necessary.

Can you get him some big raw bones that he can spend a lot time chewing while lying down?

This would also be a good time to work on his obedience in the house. Sit, come, stay - like that. Dogs seem to find obedience drills quite tiring.

I agree that if he's never been crated, this could do more harm than good if he struggles to get out.

Personally, I don't like sedating animals, as it tends to just slow them down, but not calm them and can make them more stressed.

lauraPJ8
February 5th, 2006, 11:27 AM
Thanks again-I will try all those things.

Does anyone know what I should look for in the case that the rib HAS punctured an organ? Is it obvious?

I actually finally understand the phrase "worried sick" these days. :sad:

I just want him to be ok!!!