Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Need help- Cat got nuetered and shots and is very sick?

mr28866
February 3rd, 2006, 01:58 AM
Hello our kitty Tigger 2 days ago got nuetered and all his vacinations he is around 10-12 months old, we got him threw a friend who had a litter and he is an inside cat so we decided to get his shots n nuetered.

when he got his anestetic he was really hiper and wasnt co operating, it didnt make him groggy or sleepy, it was complete opposite like he was high. the vet said by tomorrow he well be normal and himself. In the morning he was puking,wouldnt drink, wouldnt move ,just very abnormal behavier. WE took him to vet asap and they said he was dehydrated had a fever and might of have a bad reaction to the anestetic so we paid more money for excenel and metacam injection and fluids. they then said in few hours he be his self again.....|Few hours later no change.......now 24 hours no change........now I am here reqesting help...the vet just keeps saying he well be fine....

it has been 2 days since hes been nuterted and shots and he still is suffering theses symtoms, not eating ,takes few liks of water now, throwing up saliva doesnt want to move, eyes very dialated, seems grumpy/very depressed!

is this all normal??? should i be more concered and take back to vet or try another vet? and is it normal when they nuetered to not stich him up they left it open? any words of wisdom greatly appreciated!

kind regards,

Prin
February 3rd, 2006, 02:01 AM
Did he get the shots on the same day as the neutering? Some cats develop the viruses they were immunized against that way. They anaesthesia damages their immune system and they can't fight off the vaccines. For future reference, it's way better to get the shots at least 2 weeks before any surgery.

Oh, and a lot of the vets that immunize the same day as the operation will never admit to any wrongdoing, so be careful.

mr28866
February 3rd, 2006, 02:07 AM
yes they did shots same time as nuterd they said this was the best time to do it since we were gettin him nuetered, got micro chip, nutered, felv/fiv frcp-rabies, basically all his first shots that they get, but my spouse and I are really concerend cuz normally hes very hiper active little fella and right now hes complete opposite looks like hes seriously in pain and very depressed, 2 days later, when he does move like an hour ago to go to his kennel/bed he limps. the vet doesnt seem to concered.

Prin
February 3rd, 2006, 02:18 AM
I would bring him to an emergency vet if you have one close-by or at least call them and tell them exactly what happened and what is going on and see what they say. Your vet shouldn't have given the shots on the day of the operation.:(

mr28866
February 3rd, 2006, 02:37 AM
thank you for your quick replys doesnt make me feel any better actually worries me more sounds like they did sumthing they shouldnt have, is my cat gonna die ? wouldnt want my spouse or daughter to find him.

if they created this mess witch im hoping doesnt happen, what am I to do, its like they ripped our love and $ away at same time.

Prin
February 3rd, 2006, 02:47 AM
Have you called the er vet to ask? I'm pretty sure your kitty will be ok with treatment and maybe even without any treatment, depending on what the vet decides, if indeed it is what I think it is (it could be other things too). He's not so young that he'd be really fragile.

Keep in mind, though, that I'm not a vet, and the best person to help you right now would be a vet.

Let us know what happens.:fingerscr

mona_b
February 3rd, 2006, 08:44 AM
For future reference, it's way better to get the shots at least 2 weeks before any surgery.

I have to agree with this 100%

Reason being is my Calico was due for her shots,she also needed to get shaved.But she needed to be put under for this.I asked if the shots can be done the same time.She said absalutely not.So Phoenix got her shots,then 2 weeks later she went for her shave.

If your vet has no concerns about Tigger,then please see another vet ASAP.

Please let us know what happens.

cindyann
February 3rd, 2006, 11:50 AM
I'm so sorry to hear what you and your kitty have been going through. I do agree neutoring and shots at the same time is not usually done. As its to much all at once. You can't change that as the vet has all ready done that. I would call your vet and TELL them you are very concerned as your cat is not improving. If they offer no help. Then its best you take the cat in to be checked by another vet. cats can and do go down hill very fast.
Keep us up to date on how its going. I do hope all turns out ok. More then likely with the proper care and not allowing the cat to become dehydrated he will be ok.

mr28866
February 3rd, 2006, 11:26 PM
Well I took my kitty to the emergency and this is no good :sick: please all with experince n knowlegde let us know what we can do or say, we feel its the vets fault.... unless anyone knows if it sits in cats system untill they get shock or sick....to us it looks like we paid 300 to kill our cat..

there saying he has this panleukopenia and this site explains all his symptoms to a T:

http://www.avma.org/careforanimals/animatedjourneys/pethealth/feline.asp#4 he has every single symptom has lost 2lbs since friday afternoon, and it doesnt look like hes gonna pull threw, even vet is finally concerned.

Whats bothering us is he was healthy ,normal, before he went to vet, he gets nutered n shots and 3 days later dying of panleukopenia. hes on iv being tube fed over night at vet n they well let us know more first thing on if hes better or not.

I have been googling panleukopenia and it dont look to promising, but im also feel like hes suffering, so should we get him put down? the vet isnt charging us for the test,bloodwork,overnight stay ect with is mighty kind of them but to me it looks like and feels like he contacted the virus there, because researching it no where it says it sits in there system in remission

okay 50/50 some might say family member could have steped in infected poop but no one has to our knowlegde just seems fishy healthy one minut, pay $ to ensure kitty lives good life with us n hes dying??????

please need ur opnions or experince plz, were really lost :mad: :sad:

Inverness
February 3rd, 2006, 11:34 PM
mr28866,

panleukopenia is very serious. Do you have other cats at home ? If so, you will need to monitor them extremely closely since panleuco is very contagious. How long did you have the cat for before you took him to the vet to get neutered and receive his shots ? Was he in contact with any other cats in the week before the surgery ?

mr28866
February 3rd, 2006, 11:45 PM
no other pets he is our only family pet , i got him for my daughter when he was couple months old, so weve had him for a basicaly his whole yr of his life, he was an inside cat this was why he never got shots sooner , but about 2 months ago grandma let him out and he got in fight and had abseess we took to same vet they gave antibioitcs, blood work, and he was fine and everything came back normal.

We decided since we were gonna nuter him we wanted to ensure he had vaccinations to prevent gettin any illnesess if he was to escape again, could he have gotten this from the bite? even tough all test came back good?

Inverness
February 4th, 2006, 12:07 AM
No, panleukopenia is a viral infection and the incubation period is 3-5 days, sometimes slightly longer. If your cat didn't go near another cat in the week before the surgery, then he is definitely reacting to the vaccines he received while his immune system was weakened because of the anaesthesia. This very much looks like a vet mistake, but many vets still give shots right after surgery, especially when you go to a vet who accepts spay/neuter vouchers.

What were the last news about your kitty ? Was he looking any better ?

I'm so awfully sorry, this is a dreadful disease. :sad:

mr28866
February 4th, 2006, 12:25 AM
@ 2:45 I went to go see him before work, they didnt have blood work back n he looked same as last night, all symptoms i described earlier witch match sypmtoms of the site link i provided. a few hours ago my spouse called me crying told me what they said n i started researching it, hence my most recent post's.

We are upset and angry... because of all this... and the vet wasnt very concerned until she got the blood work back a few hours ago, now all of sudden the charges for overnights, iv ect are free of charge, figure that one out does that sound like a quilty concense to you? does me. She told my wife hes not doing good and was worse when i saw him last but there hoping for the best and well let us know tomorrow how hes doing , I honestly dont know what to say or reacte like when i go there in the morning. it just seems all wrong, n then we gotta explain to our 5 yr old y her kitty isnt around makes it even harder

Prin
February 4th, 2006, 01:20 AM
I really hope your kitty survives this. I suspected the vet because the vet I worked at vaccinated before neutering and SOOOOOO many cats came back sick and she always blamed the customer for not protecting their cat while he was recovering from the surgery. It was clearly her fault. She was lazy and dividing the visit into two visits meant she had to get out of bed an extra morning. :rolleyes:

Poor kitty. I'm glad you ran him in quickly though. Good luck. All the fingers and paws are crossed over here.:fingerscr :fingerscr :fingerscr :pawprint: :pawprint:

mr28866
February 4th, 2006, 02:26 AM
So now that we know whats going on and how serious it is, if there no change tomorrow should we be looking at helpin him not suffer no more????

or let him keep fightin and see if a mircle happens n he pulls threw, or am I thinking wrong just hate seeing him suffer like that? because hes lost nearly 2 pounds in 2 days, and worse compered to yesterday, what if worse tomorrow then was today even after being on iv all day n night and tube fed and antibiotics? :sad:

mr28866
February 4th, 2006, 02:52 AM
i have checked it 10 times now there has been no new emails incoming and i double checked my spelling in my profile and its correct, (i double checked my settings) could u resend what u sent my setting were on for admins to email not other members but i set it to approve

I also would like to say thanks to you all for all your input, knowledge and speedy replies, this is a wonder ful and useful community!

justncase
February 4th, 2006, 04:45 AM
Check the Bulk or Junk mail section of your hotmail account if you did not receive two emails re your cat.Post if you did not receive them because you are unable to pm .

CyberKitten
February 4th, 2006, 05:45 AM
Hope your kitty pulls through!! My vet refuses to give any animal vaccinations at the same time as the spay for the reasons already explained here. I know some ppl complain she just wants another visit but she is sooo right - she feels the cat's immune system is lowered at the time of the surgery so no way in *&^% (her words to me anyway) should any cat recieve her vaccinations at the same time - it is a recipe for diaster even in a healthy cat. My vet holds a position in the vets assn as well and I know she would tell me this vet is wrong and needs to be penalized so if I were tyou, I would complain to your prov vet assn - and hopefully the vet will pay for all ther vosts and above all, your kitty survives!!!!

Inverness
February 4th, 2006, 08:21 AM
So now that we know whats going on and how serious it is, if there no change tomorrow should we be looking at helpin him not suffer no more????

or let him keep fightin and see if a mircle happens n he pulls threw, or am I thinking wrong just hate seeing him suffer like that? because hes lost nearly 2 pounds in 2 days, and worse compered to yesterday, what if worse tomorrow then was today even after being on iv all day n night and tube fed and antibiotics? :sad:

It's really hard to say. Some cats will be able to fight, some won't. Panleukopenia is very hard to go through and is really painful for the cat. If your kitty is suffering too much, the vet will probably have given him morphine already. If there is no significant improvement, you will have to consider euthanasia. Some kitties just never pull through. Give it a bit of time. The vet will be monitoring for any signs of improvement and will tell you.

I'm so very sorry. :sad:

chico2
February 4th, 2006, 09:30 AM
Read all the posts and this is heartbreaking to say the least:sad:
IMO,the vet made a MAJOR error..
But first at hand is the kitty and hopes that he'll survive this and I truly do:fingerscr
The anger will have to wait,but your vet knows he made a misstake,unfortunately that fact is not helping your poor cat.
:fingerscr :fingerscr for your poor kitty and your family:fingerscr

cindyann
February 4th, 2006, 09:53 AM
I'm so very sorry this happened. I do pray your kitty does get better. Make sure and let us know how he is doing. I'm praying for a miracle for you...

Prin
February 4th, 2006, 11:19 AM
IMO,the vet made a MAJOR error..This is so sad, but to think the vet is still doing this and will do it to so many cats.:(

mr28866
February 4th, 2006, 12:07 PM
Check the Bulk or Junk mail section of your hotmail account if you did not receive two emails re your cat.Post if you did not receive them because you are unable to pm .
thank you , yes I recieved it 3 times , i beleive it didnt work first time was because my setting was off in user panel but i corrected it. very long descripive email ill metion it to the vet today.

Well the vet phoned this morning said he looking a bit better and moving around little more still throwing up, says hes ready to come home... HUH WTF? is she for real???????

chico2
February 4th, 2006, 01:17 PM
I don't think the vet should release him until he is able to eat and keep it down.
On the other hand,cats are very sensitive"thinskinned"as Lucky would say and the Vet-environment might be very stressful to him and a slower recovery.
It's difficult to say,without seeing how he is..you also don't want to have him home and have to rush to emergency again.
Your other question about stiches,non of my cats got stiches when they were neutered,after one day,they were completly normal,just missing a couple of little parts.
Lot's of good vibes for your poor little kitty...once he's well you can deal with the vet:love:

mr28866
February 4th, 2006, 02:19 PM
un F*!#*7! real bad new all :confused:

my wife just called me at work crying, Tigger is no longer with us :confused: she went to vet to pick him up because vet called us said he could come home and was doing better, i called vet half hour ago to talk to her about it all, 30 mins later my wife is there to get him and hes not moving and barly breathing, the vet called other vets for help and they all said to put him down, apparntly my wife freaked out on her because he looked dead, and they put him under free of charge again, very confused and mad :( *at least we know hes in better place and will remain in our hearts.

update; i guess the vet is accusing the comapny for the vaccinations and says she well be contacting them and billing them for everything on all new charges from last 2 days plus uthiniztion and cremation, she cant go and charge us after fact can she? if what she says she doing dont cut it? pretty sad that we paid a vet to kill our cat when he was healthy n alive 4 days ago. Now i gotta explain to my 5 yr old why her kitty isnt around no more thats hard :(

cpietra16
February 4th, 2006, 03:28 PM
I'm so sorry to hear that you lost Tigger. I was really thinking that he would pull through. My condolences.:(

chico2
February 4th, 2006, 04:37 PM
Oh no:sad: and now the vet is trying to pass the blame to the manufactures,this whole story is maddening and the poor little cat payed the ultimate price:sad:
I would not give this vet one rotten cent,he made a healthy young cat loose his life.
I would contact the Veterinary Council(or whatever it's called)so this vet will not make the same misstake again.
To Tigger,RIP little one:love:

jesse's mommy
February 4th, 2006, 04:53 PM
I am so sorry for your loss. I definitely think you should contact the Vet Council. This vet shouldn't be practicing if they are putting animals lives in danger. They are supposed to be preserving them!

mr28866
February 4th, 2006, 09:45 PM
Thank you all for your help and kind words was greatly appreciated by us

Inverness
February 4th, 2006, 11:50 PM
:sad: I am so very sorry.:sad:

When you wrote the vet told you to pick the kitty up while he was still vomiting, that sounded awfully wrong. In any case, DO NOT ever go to that vet again. I would suggest, like it's been said earlier, to take this matter a little further. There has obviously been some negligence in this whole matter.

:grouphug:

mona_b
February 4th, 2006, 11:52 PM
I am soooo very sorry.....:grouphug:

I agree,don't go back to that vet.:evil:

Prin
February 5th, 2006, 01:28 PM
I'm so sorry you lost your kitty.:sad: :grouphug: It's not the manufacturer's fault if the vaccines were given incorrectly. I hope you keep all the receipts showing the neutering and vaccines were done on the same day if you plan on reporting the vet. That vet is horrible.

Lucky Rescue
February 5th, 2006, 01:55 PM
I am so very sorry.:( Haven't read all the posts, but cannot believe your vet vaccinated and operated on your cat at the same time.

Judging from what you say (freebies being now given) they must know this is all their fault and trying to placate you so you won't make trouble for them.

I hope you can do something so no one else will have their pet treated in such a way.

This was so unnecessary and sad.

:sorry:

CyberKitten
February 5th, 2006, 02:31 PM
I am so very sorry for your loss!!!! :grouphug: And I would report this vet - it is absolutely a bad idea to spay/neuter and give vaccinations at the same time. I am so sorry!!!