Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Eating to fast and incontinence

katieandclayton
February 2nd, 2006, 03:05 PM
Hi everyone, this is my first posting. My name is Katie. I have had my dog Kruger for about 5 months, I think he is about ten months old. He showed up on my door step one day, no body claimed and so my boyfriend and kept him. Here is my problem: when he gets fed we make him sit and shake hands before he is allowed to eat. When he gets to eat, he is done in about 15 seconds. We don't know how to slow him down. If we call him, he'll come but only for a second and if we get him to stay away from his food any longer, he'll urniate all over. So I guess there's two problems: one he eats too fast and two he can't help but pee when he gets excited or scared. HELP PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!

NaNa8
February 2nd, 2006, 10:09 PM
Labs are known for devouring their food and was told to try the "Buster Cube" to slow down Laci's eating and also give her a job to do like a Kong does. I didn't know anything existed 10 yrs ago with our last dog, so we got her used to eating with a tennis ball or 2 placed in her bowl and she alternated between eating and playing with the ball in the bowl.

JoAnne

Prin
February 2nd, 2006, 10:14 PM
I think the peeing when you tell her to stop eating is submissive peeing. How is your tone when you stop her eating? Are you yelling? I think you'd have to be to get a wolfer to stop eating...:D

I think in his situation it's pretty expected that he wolfs down everything. I mean, you don't know how few and far between his meals were before he appeared.

You can try putting the food in a kong or another toy with holes to slow him down, or just leave him. As long as he isn't taking in too much air, he should be ok, IMO...

mona_b
February 2nd, 2006, 10:47 PM
I think in his situation it's pretty expected that he wolfs down everything. I mean, you don't know how few and far between his meals were before he appeared.

I have to agree with this.

He was definately fending for himself...There could have been times when he didn't eat at all.

How many times a day is he being fed?

You may want to break down his feeding to 3-4 times a day(small portions)

tenderfoot
February 3rd, 2006, 09:28 AM
Wolfing his food is not neccessarily a bad thing - it may never bother him. Some vets believe that eating too fast can contribute to bloat as they are sucking in too much air with the food. I disagree - but if you are concerned...
Things to try.
1 - wet his food so its just a bit harder to inhale. Actually healthier for a lab so the food does not expand in his tummy - it is already expanded by the warm water.
2 - Put a couple large river type rocks in his bowl so he has to work around them for the food.
3 - Scatter his food in the yard or across a floor and make him work for it and hunt it. It's actually fun for him too.

Don't worry about the peeing it will stop. He is young and just too excited. I also wouldn't bother challenging him right now by asking him to come away from the food. Let him eat in peace. Maybe he gets so anxious because you are calling him away and he is worried it may not be there when he gets back.

katieandclayton
February 3rd, 2006, 11:50 AM
Thanks for all the advice. The reason I am concerned is because his eating is giving him gas and diareaha. When I try to call him away, I never yell because I don't want him to be scared of me. I can't put his food in kongs because I have another dog and I don't want Krugers food to end where Sam might be, it was hard to seperate them, thank you anyway though. I am going to try smaller portions four times a day and wetting it and the rocks in the dish. I forgot to check this before breakfast this morning so I will do it at supper. Thank you again.

Lucky Rescue
February 3rd, 2006, 11:59 AM
15 seconds? I've seen my dog inhale her dinner in 8!:p This is how carnivores eat in the wild. They have to eat as much and as fast as possible before another animal steals it from them. It's normal.

Smaller and more frequent feedings should be fine.

The reason I am concerned is because his eating is giving him gas and diareaha.

That may be from the kind of food and not the speed in which it's eaten. What are you feeding him?