Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Kittens...when do you switch to adult food?

crazyk1020
February 2nd, 2006, 03:15 PM
Does any one know when you switch kittens over to adult food? I have two 6 month olds and I have been looking at many different websites and they all say something different. I just would like to know what I should be feeding them, and does anyone have a favorite brand of cat food?

Lucky Rescue
February 2nd, 2006, 04:55 PM
Your cats are ready for adult food!:)

Feed whatever you like, but if you have neutered males, try and make the majority of their diet wet food.

crazyk1020
February 2nd, 2006, 04:59 PM
Why wet food for neutered males? I am just curious, I am willing to try anything. Thanks so much!:)

Lucky Rescue
February 2nd, 2006, 05:46 PM
Cats, because in nature eat only meat, get most of their water from their food.

Because of this cats, unlike dogs, do not have a strong thirst mechanism. So, cats often don't drink enough water in our homes. Combine that with dry food only and a narrowed urethra in neutered males, and this is a perfect recipe for very concentrated urine, resulting in bladder crystals, stones and blockages.

iris1026
February 2nd, 2006, 09:52 PM
You should switch them to adult food around 10-12 months old, depending on their size. If you notice they're getting overweight, starting them on adult food earlier because kitten food tend to be higher in calorie.

I personally feed my male neutered cat a dry dental diet. Overall, dry food is better for their teeth and it's more convenient for the owner.

mona_b
February 2nd, 2006, 11:18 PM
Ditto on everything LR said...:)

My cats were switched to adult at 6 months.And my cats get both dry and canned.The dry is left out 24/7,and they get the canned 2-3 times a day.Definately in the morning and evening.

I have had cats all my life.And they have always been fed both.It wasn't till I joined here 2 years ago that I was told about neutered males and crystals/stones and blockage and how the canned helps reduce this.And that I have LR to thank for..:) ..And now I see that I have prevented this in my males...And starting them at this age has not made them pork up..:)

Even Jake the manager of my Pet Valu informs his customers about this..He takes animal nutrition seriously.He travels many times to the states and throughout ontario going to seminars in regards to pet nutrition...He will even tell customers if the food they are getting is not very good.And show them the ones that are better.

As for favorite cat brands,I have mine all on Performatrin Ultra Holistic for the dry.As for the canned,it changes at times.They eat Newmans Own,Dick Van Patten,Natural Balance,and now they are eating Merric(spoiled brats..LOL)

Prin
February 2nd, 2006, 11:19 PM
I personally feed my male neutered cat a dry dental diet. Overall, dry food is better for their teeth and it's more convenient for the owner.
Actually, now they say that it's the quality of the food, not the texture, that helps teeth stay cleaner.:)

MartiniGIrl
February 3rd, 2006, 09:18 AM
I was told by my vet that dry food is better for your cat's health. It helps prevent tartar buildup on their teeth and if you buy a good quality (low ash) cat food, there's a good chance you'll never have to worry about stones in your male's cat's urinary tract.

I had a male cat (Oscar) for 15 years and he lived on dry food.

I've always fed my cats dry food during the day and they each get one forkful of wet food in the evenings with their dinner.

As for when your cat can eat adult food, I asked my vet and he told me 10-12 months. At one year old your cat is officially an adult.

I switched my kitten to adult food around 10 months, I slowly started mixing her kitten food with adult food and eventually switched her over.

Lucky Rescue
February 3rd, 2006, 11:13 AM
Overall, dry food is better for their teeth and it's more convenient for the owner.

It's definitely more convenient for the owner, and that's all it is. It's not better for the cat in any way to eat such an unnatural diet, not for teeth, overall health or for urinary tract health.

People don't want to be bothered with smelly canned food, even though it's better for the animal by far.

Kitten food, dental food, hairball food, indoor formulas..to me it's just a money grab.

crazyk1020
February 3rd, 2006, 11:49 AM
How much canned food do your cat's eat at each serving? I don't want mine to get too tubby or anything.

jessi76
February 3rd, 2006, 12:23 PM
a few yrs ago, I acquired my friend's cat - who was overweight (17-18lbs). she was only eating dry food. When I got her, I put her on the same feeding schedule as my other cat (dry food available all day, but canned food for a meal). Since I've had her, she's dropped down to a very healthy 12lbs. Her energy increased, she looks better, and even my vet commented on how great she's doing. She used to wheeze when she breathed... she's not wheezing anymore.

I feed 1/2 can of wellness (small cans so it's a fresh can each day) - or 1/4 each of the reg. sized cans.

she actually lost weight eating canned - she wasn't so hungry anymore that she pigged out on the dry food.