Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Walking 2 dogs at the same time

BernerLver
February 2nd, 2006, 07:44 AM
Just curious for all those members who have 2 dogs how do you walk them?

The reason I ask is that every morning when I walk Bailey, I see this woman walking 2 Yorkies. She has each of them on a separate flexi lead and they are both all over the place. She looks like she's flying 2 kites with her arms waving all over the place.

Every time I see her I think "there's go to be a better way". :confused:

What are some suggestions? What about a situation where you have an adult dog and a puppy?

BMDLuver
February 2nd, 2006, 08:27 AM
You either use a double leash extension or I tether the pup to the adult dog so the pup doesn't go completely higgledy piggledy.

Prin
February 2nd, 2006, 08:29 AM
I have one in each hand with the leash wrapped around my hand a few times.

Skryker
February 2nd, 2006, 09:27 AM
I got a great leash at WalMart, designed for 2 dogs. 1 handle-loop (cushy velvet lined :) ) that ends in a swivel and then an adjustable long loop with 2 clips-1 at each end. You can change how close together the 2 dogs are kept, or set it so that you could even have a large and a small dog together on it. I love it. It was also only 15$, but very sturdy.

I wish I could send a picture of the other solution since it's so cute! My pups are fiends for sticks. I take small twigs and such off of them, but let Bronwyn carry a larger stick one day since she was so proud of it. Next thing I know, Fingal had the other end of the stick and they were trotting down the sidewalk like 2 horses in harness. People in cars were smiling, I was grinning like a fool and they trotted the whole way home as nice as you please. So now they have a just for walks stick that they happily carry for me.

I have to get my husband to get a picture of this someday soon.

Lise
February 2nd, 2006, 11:04 AM
I used to use a coupler that attaches to thier collars and then the leash.I only used it for short walks since it keeps them very close.

Skryker
February 2nd, 2006, 11:23 AM
Got a pic showing them carrying their stick.

gottahavepets
February 2nd, 2006, 11:23 AM
When we visit my parents we take our Border cross with us, they have a pug. Usually we walk them together on separate leashes but when I walk them alone I feed Nikkis leash through the loop on Duke's leash and she walks him! He can then roam where he wants, go at his own pace on his short little legs, he crosses under her without ducking, it doesn't bother her at all, she's tall for a border. This way I have less of the 'Dance' to do while walking two dogs.

Frenchy
February 2nd, 2006, 11:42 AM
I take 3 leash and make a Y.

jjgeonerd
February 2nd, 2006, 03:18 PM
I have a seperate leash for each mutt...one in each hand. Since their combined weight is about 175lbs and I weigh 160 lbs soaking wet I have to be really strict regarding their pulling (not allow any at all). There is usually only a problem when they both see a squirrel. :eek: ...but they're getting better.

jawert1
February 2nd, 2006, 06:06 PM
I keep a leash in each hand with my two, but they also behave well when I have them one handed. That has to make for some picture, a lady being drug by 2 yorkies :P

Jazz&Cricket
February 3rd, 2006, 11:03 AM
I have walked all 4 at the same time....it's complicated :eek: I used to walk my BCs on a joiner so one leash - 2 dogs and the other 2 on individual leashes. However, I've changed my thinking on that. I walk on a very rural road, usually at night so there are no lights except my headlamp and I've often heard the wolves. There are also moose/deer, farms with cattle, etc. in the area. I've decided that IF I needed to release my dogs for whatever reason, they would not stand a chance if they were joined together. Individually, they would have the opportunity to 'herd' if need be or run! Now I walk 2 at a time, individual leashes. The upside - I get twice as much exercise! So by summer...I should be 'svelte' indeed :p

Jazz&Cricket
February 3rd, 2006, 11:06 AM
Oh, forgot to add that I keep both leashes in the same hand...I just find that easier to control

mummummum
February 3rd, 2006, 08:13 PM
We haven't tried a threesome since Declan first came and Bridie decided she hates him so I'm out with two and then one. I have three kinds of leashes. Singles which I generally hold in one hand until they decide to circle around me or find something sniffalicious in completely separate directions, one with a joiner and two which I can loop around my waist - my fav for morning actually cuz I can enjoy my coffee with both hands leash-free !

Daisy_Mae
February 6th, 2006, 11:48 AM
I have one in each hand with the leash wrapped around my hand a few times.

I do this to but only when we come up to people or other dogs but usually I find it easier to walk with both leashes in one hand. I only have one dog but from time to time I have a foster. I use a retractable leash when I just have Daisy but when I have 2 dogs I use a body harness on each and a 4 foot leash. It's just too hard any other way. I am only 5'3" and 130lbs and my fosters have been very large dogs, the last being close to 100lbs. My dog is 45lbs. I tried one dog on a 4 foot and one on a 6 foot so they aren't bumping into each other. It works ok, depending on my second dog. The hard part is picking up the poop!

I don't use a double leash to avoid any re-directed aggression if something were to set one dog off I don't want them taking it out on the other dog and it has happened to me before. I like to be able to separate them if need be.

Daisy_Mae
February 6th, 2006, 11:50 AM
one with a joiner and two which I can loop around my waist - my fav for morning actually cuz I can enjoy my coffee with both hands leash-free !

Loop around your waist? How do you do that? Sounds interesting!