Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Help! I Need Super Douper Toughest Toy Reccomendations!

Copper'sMom
February 1st, 2006, 08:10 PM
Next week Saturday is Copper's 5th Birthday!!!! I really want to get him a toy that will last longer than 2 minutes. Does anyone have any reccomendations????

I do know that if a toy has anything that protrudes from it - like the feet on a Cuz or the horns on a Bad Cuz, he will definitely destroy it within 2 minutes. He has a medium sized red kong which is about 4 years old and he has just tore a piece off of it - because it has aged. He only likes to chew on the kong if it is stuffed with food and treats.:rolleyes:

I bought him a toy at Christmas that was supposed to be quite durable. It was a Combat Squeaker Man Dog Toy made out of the same material as fire hoses. Well because there were seams along the edges, he had it torn up in no time. He also had a Cuz. I really like to throw my money away!!:eek:

I guess what I'm looking for is something that doesn't have little pieces in which he can clamp his teeth on to tear or pull at it.

Anyone have any ideas?? I just want the toy to last him a little longer than normal. Even a week or 2 would be great!:) LOL

jesse's mommy
February 1st, 2006, 08:16 PM
I'm interested in finding this out too! Jesse has destroyed her toys and they are packed in three boxes that are marked "surgery".

The best I've found so far is the Hartz Latex toys, but the squeaker in them is the most annoying thing I've ever heard in my life, but she hasn't gotten through it yet. She's gotten through everything else though! She even unties the big ropes that we buy for her. We too LOVE to throw our money away!

Byrd
February 1st, 2006, 08:19 PM
On the weekend of the 11th/12th there is a flyball tournament at Richmond Green in Richmond Hill, Crash Test toys will be there, apparently they are indestructable.

Copper'sMom
February 1st, 2006, 08:24 PM
The best I've found so far is the Hartz Latex toys
He can pick these apart pretty quick too! My mom buys them for her litttle dog, but Copper gets a hold of it and it's gone! The first thing he goes for is the squeaker!!!

Maybe I should go find him a rock and baste it in gravy!!!:rolleyes:

Copper'sMom
February 1st, 2006, 08:26 PM
On the weekend of the 11th/12th there is a flyball tournament at Richmond Green in Richmond Hill, Crash Test toys will be there, apparently they are indestructable.

Thanks Byrd! I'm gonna look to see if they have a website!

raingirl
February 1st, 2006, 08:27 PM
you should try a wetnoz spring roll

http://www.wetnoz.com/

http://www.wetnoz.com/IMG/MediaPics/500x500/springroll.jpg

We got one at Bark N Fitz for $20 for the large one. Odin hasn't even put a dent in his, and he is a chewer. It's rubber like a kong, and has grooves in the middle where you put food.

We also like the planet dog silicone bones. Takes Odin a while to get holes in them, as they are rounded and get slippery when wet.

http://www.planetdog.com/dog-toys.asp
http://www.planetdog.com/cat_images/1060c-01.jpg

Inverness
February 1st, 2006, 08:30 PM
Chili has a large orange Bonehead from Rogz. It's pretty durable. She loves to chew and suck on it :yuck: and it's still in pretty good condition after 2 months. It only starts to come apart where she's chewed enough to leave tooth marks.

Here's their website: http://www.rogz.co.za/

Copper'sMom
February 1st, 2006, 08:35 PM
Oh thank you folks!!!!! I've got some shopping and investigating to do!!! Keep them coming!!

BMDLuver
February 1st, 2006, 09:09 PM
http://www.caninecapers.com/

IndestructaBALLS™ are what a friend of mine has for her Bully. It's one of a few toys she's not able to destroy and I like that they have a lifetime guarantee.

mummummum
February 1st, 2006, 09:16 PM
The Grrrl's are frisbee freaks. Can't go to the closet right now to tell you the name of this particular brand because they will think it's playtime . I buy them at Petsmart - they are flourescent pink and green with black trim, all material, with a rubber tube in the rim. We play in the house :eek: when the weather is yucky or it's too dark outside. If Copper likes frisbee, we also have "Flying Squirrels" - they're verrrry cool - they fly alot like like boomerangs so the Grrrl's really have to focus on the "squirrel" to catch it. I hink we bought those at Canuck Tire.

SnowDancer
February 1st, 2006, 10:02 PM
West Paw Designs "Hurley Bone" and "Hulk Ball" - they each come in 2 sizes - made of special material called ZogoFlex. Also the Chewber frisbee type of toy that is made of rubber, bends and can double as a plate when pup does the "please sir can I have some more" bit. West Paw is located in the US some retail outlets carry products in Canada - I buy mine in Toronto. The site is www.westpawdesign.com. If you hit the contact button they will provide you with a list of retailers closest to you. My Eskie can destroy anything - faster than a Rotti.

jessi76
February 2nd, 2006, 09:11 AM
I've recommended it before, the Talk to Me Treat Ball.

http://www.talktometreatball.com/

We bought Tucker one last September - he's still playing with it. Granted, it's a bit banged up (from smashing into walls, etc...) and a bit scratched (from his teeth - but he can't get his mouth around it, and no obvious edges or seams to destroy in 2 seconds). The recording device has sort of died - it does a half-bark now (we recorded Tucker barking). But even though it's a bit banged up - he plays with it ALOT. we actually have to take it away from him or he won't stop playing with it.

Fill w/ any small treats, as the dog whacks it around, treats fall out (generally 1 or 2 at a time) and the recording plays. (it does have an on/off button too!)

one of the best toys I've ever bought for my pup. this is one of the few that have survived.

HunterXHunter
February 2nd, 2006, 09:46 AM
Ever considered the Black Kongs? They're suppose to be tougher than the red ones and since it took 4 years for Cooper to take a chunk out of it, the black ones will probably last longer. :D

jesse's mommy
February 2nd, 2006, 07:50 PM
I've recommended it before, the Talk to Me Treat Ball.

http://www.talktometreatball.com/

We bought Tucker one last September - he's still playing with it. Granted, it's a bit banged up (from smashing into walls, etc...) and a bit scratched (from his teeth - but he can't get his mouth around it, and no obvious edges or seams to destroy in 2 seconds). The recording device has sort of died - it does a half-bark now (we recorded Tucker barking). But even though it's a bit banged up - he plays with it ALOT. we actually have to take it away from him or he won't stop playing with it.

Fill w/ any small treats, as the dog whacks it around, treats fall out (generally 1 or 2 at a time) and the recording plays. (it does have an on/off button too!)

one of the best toys I've ever bought for my pup. this is one of the few that have survived.

For us, this one has to be extremely supervised. Jesse has figured out how to pull out the "microphone" in the ball to get the treats out faster!! She figured out a way to be lazy about getting the treats out, but scares me because of her intelligence!!! :eek:

Writing4Fun
February 2nd, 2006, 08:10 PM
Ever considered the Black Kongs? They're suppose to be tougher than the red ones and since it took 4 years for Cooper to take a chunk out of it, the black ones will probably last longer. :D
Yup, black Kongs are for heavy chewers. I think 4 years is a pretty good run for a dog toy, though. Maybe you should be doing commercials for Kong! "Takes a licking, and keeps on ticking...well...maybe not a licking per se..." :D

domesticzookeep
February 2nd, 2006, 09:08 PM
Happy Birthday Copper!:party:

My lab was a *really* big chewer....even the black kongs weren't good enough - but they definitely lasted longer than the red - try one size larger - it's harder for them to bite. The Kong balls are also good - but they are very bouncy & hard.....(Amy never grasped the concept of "catch" - and after running into a bouncing kong ball a few times, she lost interest in playing ball....I can't imagine why...:confused: ....but she liked chewing on the ball & it held up alot better than tennis balls....)

I would also recommend hitting your local thrift shop (Value Village, Salvation Army, etc). I can usually pick up stuffed toys (after a bit of rummaging for the 'dog suitable' ones) for ~ $0.50 each. Every once in a while I'm lucky & can pick up a big bag of toys for $5! Since I typically end up with bunny guts all over the place in minutes anyways, at least it's not happening on a toy that costs $10! :eek:

Bully sticks & the really large (15 lb + ) bones (cattle, I think? Not the ones that are already hollowed out & stuffed) are also fantastic for keeping my fosters busy for hours, not to mention they last for months - even with daily 'chewing'! (I also usually get a laugh out of watching the dogs try to drag the bone around, since its often too heavy to really lift :D ) I usually only see them at the smaller pet shops, but I believe you can also pick them up at butcher shops. Just make sure to put a blanket down, b/c they can be pretty greasy intially until they've been 'cleaned'.....

Cheers,
C.
:ca:

babyrocky1
February 2nd, 2006, 09:48 PM
Its the black kong for Rocky but he can still destroy it, it just takes a bit longer. I havent tried the Indestructiballs, Ill give them a shot. I always feel bad for Rocky cause he LOVES toys but can go through the regular kongs in minutes!!!! Too expensive! While Im trying to draw he mopes and wines cause hes bored but I have no toys to give him. I play ball with him outside but he isn't allowed to chew the ball, just retrieve.

NaNa8
February 2nd, 2006, 09:57 PM
My trainer recommended Tuff Toy from a store here that sells upper end toys. My lab loves it and has not made a dent in it.
http://www.mydogtoy.com

JoAnne

Copper'sMom
February 3rd, 2006, 04:22 PM
Thanks for all of the suggestions!!! By reading your descriptions, I already know what Copper might like and not like.:rolleyes: My little Zoodle on the other hand, would absolutely LOVE all of these toys!! MY big sucky boy Copper is picky - kind of like me!

I was thinking of getting the black kong, just to see if he would like it more than the red one. He only touches the kong, if there is food in it - otherwise he doesn't bother with it.

The Kong balls are also good - but they are very bouncy & hard....
Is this a solid ball?? Or is it the treat ball? We have the treat ball for Zoe. I don't leave it out as one of the dogs started to pick chunks off(can't remember if it was Zoe or Copper). If it is a solid ball, Copper would enjoy it as long as it is smooth all around.
As for a thrift shop, been there done that! I buy his basketballs and blankets there. No stuffed toys, they go too quick! Once in a while he'll get a stuffed toy because it brings him so much joy!
Bones, they are only good when the dogs aren't together - like when Copper is at Grandma's house and Zoe is home. Can't leave those out or we might have world war 3!:eek:

I'm definitely getting him one of those frisbees from the pet store. He LOVES frisbee!!! He'll bring it to you and if you ignore him he'll shove it in your legs until you throw it for him!

Copper'sMom
February 3rd, 2006, 04:28 PM
http://www.caninecapers.com/

IndestructaBALLS™ are what a friend of mine has for her Bully. It's one of a few toys she's not able to destroy and I like that they have a lifetime guarantee.

Does your friend let her Bully lay on the floor and chew on it for a while or is it used just for throwing and chasing?? The website said it's not a chew toy so I'm just wondering how durable it really is. I do have one ball that Copper hasn't destroyed and it is a super hard plastic ball that is too big to fit in his mouth. He can only roll it around with his snout and paws. It hurts like heck too if it happens to hit you!

domesticzookeep
February 3rd, 2006, 05:16 PM
Is this a solid ball?? Or is it the treat ball? I don't leave it out as one of the dogs started to pick chunks off

You can get solid, smooth ones, and it's round, no little feet, etc.....I tried the treat ones.....lasted less than an hour before my lab chewed it apart....:rolleyes:

Happy toy shopping,
C.

divinecalamity
February 3rd, 2006, 05:23 PM
I am not sure what others think of nylabones, but they make very durable chew toys, there is a large knuckle type that my amstaff puppy has been chewing on for a while now...and she usually destroyes everything, I just watch to make sure she isn't eating any of it. I am not sure if anyone had mentioned combat toys...I scanned through and don't think I saw it...but they are not strong at all...they state they are on there packing...but the past bostonXpug cross ripped it apart in minutes. My dog also chews on a black and blue chew toy..shaped like a "kong" but not kong brand, and it has lasted a few months. have fun

doggy lover
February 3rd, 2006, 05:27 PM
Tucker has not destroyed only two toys of his in the amost 2 years of his life, one is the black Kong and the other is called Tire biter. I'm going to have to look into some of these other toys too. Thanks

allkoojo
February 3rd, 2006, 06:05 PM
have you tried
the kong
i have an akita now 12 years yong
we bouth him a kong wen he was 2 year old
and he still playes with it
and still in good condition:thumbs up :ca:

Copper'sMom
February 3rd, 2006, 06:49 PM
I am not sure if anyone had mentioned combat toys...I scanned through and don't think I saw it...but they are not strong at all...they state they are on there packing...

Yep, I bought these for Christmas. Copper had his apart within 30 minutes of unwrapping it! . Zoe ripped hers apart because Copper helped her.:rolleyes:
I was thinking of trying a Nylabone - I just wonder if he'll be interested in it or not. If not, I know Zoe will take to it. She's not so picky!:p

the other is called Tire biter
He had this too! The first one we got was given to us because my BIL's dog wouldn't have anything to do with it. Copper had it for quite some time and then one day, piece by piece it disappeared. I then bought him another because the first one lasted a while. The second one went quickly as he had mastered his technique with the first one!:rolleyes: I've seen bigger ones out now, it wouldn't hurt to try again!

Copper should be a professional toy tester!

doggy lover
February 3rd, 2006, 06:53 PM
Wow and I thought Tucker was hard on his toys, I think Copper has it hands down.:D

mastifflover
February 3rd, 2006, 07:37 PM
try this link they have a couple that I have heard are Mastiff proof or pretty close.
http://www.caninecrib.com/dog/articles/dog-toys.asp

papillonmama
February 3rd, 2006, 08:39 PM
I was looking for the same kind of bone that Trigs, the pittie likes, (he hasn't destroyed it yet -three years), however I couldn't find it, hopefully they still make it, one day he might have a change of heart. It's sort of like the Galileo Nylabone toy.
Anyhoo, I couldn't find one, but I did find a Kong bone. They have it in the black as well, if he likes it, and Zoey likes it too, maybe you could get her one too, just to be fair.:)

here's a link...
http://www.dogstoy.com/planetkong.html

Does Copper like watching TV? maybe a nice video. Trigs likes to watch other dogs on tv, Dory can't though, she gets yappy.

babyrocky1
February 3rd, 2006, 08:43 PM
I think Rocky has a nylabone, they are really hard, he cant chew through it, but he doesn't really like it, it has no give. The only way I cn interest him in it is if I throw it for him.

Copper'sMom
February 3rd, 2006, 08:49 PM
I think Rocky has a nylabone, they are really hard, he cant chew through it, but he doesn't really like it, it has no give. The only way I cn interest him in it is if I throw it for him.

Ya, I think Copper would be the same way with a Nylabone. I have bought other rubbery type bones for him and he has no interest in them. Luckily, Zoe doesn't mind hand-me-downs!! LOL

Copper'sMom
February 3rd, 2006, 09:00 PM
Anyhoo, I couldn't find one, but I did find a Kong bone. They have it in the black as well, if he likes it, and Zoey likes it too, maybe you could get her one too, just to be fair.:)

LOL Don't worry papillionmama, Zoe won't be left out! She gets more toys than Copper does because he chooses not to play with them or he can't have them because he'll destroy them! Her birthday was last month, and we were very broke so I wasn't able to get her anything good. But she'll be getting a couple new things herself this month!;)

divinecalamity
February 4th, 2006, 01:01 AM
I bought the 3 pack of nylabones and it came with a "chocolate" flavoured one...I am not too sure if it acctually tastes different...it doesn't smell different...but Zoe loves that one...she chews on the normal ones the odd time..but roles around on the carpet with the chocolate flavour...it is made of the same durable material as the regular ones..not one of those edible ones. There are more dog toys then I could imagine :crazy:

.unknown.
February 5th, 2006, 10:50 AM
http://www.mammothpet.com/tirebiter.asp

http://www.mammothpet.com/images/products/flyers/2005_TBFlyer.jpg

My Suzie absolutley LOVED the tire. She's also got a "wrecking jaw" and loves to destroy things. This toy isn't indestructable, and it isn't completly ruined but it's been a couple months at least! The bone with the "treat station" is really tough too. Neither of the dogs have chewed any parts off, or made a dent.

rainbow
February 5th, 2006, 04:14 PM
It took my one year old Siberian Husky about half an hour to destroy the Tire Biter bone. I was totally amazed because it seemed to be really tough. Also made him sick because he had swallowed bits of it. So far it`s Nylabone that lasts the longest for him....about 2 weeks maximum. I`d love to find something else though but we live in a very small town in B.C. and the shopping is terrible for everything. :pawprint:

zosiazhouse
November 11th, 2006, 01:55 AM
Hi all, I'm new to this...have 2 jacks and a box of pieces of toys...lol...nothing I found is sturdy enough for them...Combat Frisbee works for tugging together, so I bought $100 worth of Combat from the States....and guess what?...all the stuffing is out and all over the house...can't believe the amount of stuffing in one of those...long threads everywhere...these stars hadn't lasted for 2 weeks. Popcorn is a 12 year old girl and Charlie is about 3. They play well together but need toys that will last. I found this site totally by accident, maybe that's a good thing...a light at the end of the tunnel and 2 happy, tugging, snarling jacks with the TV set turned up...lol. Not to mention the cat that Charlie goes after...she's lasted the longest in the toy department, but there's only so much fun he can have before she slaps him numerous times, hisses and gets out of his reach....will come back in a few days and see if anyone has any ideas....thank you

Lissa
November 11th, 2006, 08:59 AM
The busy ball dog toy is indestructible because the dogs cannot get their mouth around it. It's almost impossible to get the treats out as well depending on the size you use. And because the dogs can see them, it usually keeps their interest.
The only downside to this toy is that some dogs will find it frustrating and its VERY loud on hardwood floors!

http://www.busydogball.com/products.htm

Dodger has one and all of his doggy friends love it too - Diego loved it even when there was no food in it!
http://img6.picsplace.to/img6/23/busyball.jpg (http://picsplace.to/)
http://img6.picsplace.to/img6/23/busball2.jpg (http://picsplace.to/)

LL1
November 11th, 2006, 09:17 AM
These are tougher than Kongs from what I have seen

http://petchauffeur.net/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?page=TPCS/PROD/DKO10005

jesse's mommy
November 11th, 2006, 11:24 AM
The problem we have is that if it doesn't squeak, Jesse doesn't want it. :frustrated: So, we too are still in search of the indestructible squeaky toy, so if anyone knows if any of the above mentioned are squeaky, please let me know.

LL1
November 11th, 2006, 11:54 AM
Oh sorry!We had some that were fairly tough,they looked like mailmen and animals.

angeldogs
November 11th, 2006, 01:27 PM
jag wouldn't bother with the tire.The black Kong he has the top chewed off in a month.We bought the Jawz tuff toy yesterday by dogit.At petsmart and it was 12.95 before taxes for the XL size

H.P.
November 12th, 2006, 07:24 PM
[QUOTE=SnowDancer;215766]West Paw Designs..... ZogoFlex. QUOTE]

I am with SnowDancer, the ZogoFlex is tough stuff. And it comes with a money back or replacement guarantee. Good Luck! And Happy Birthday:party:Copper!

jesse's mommy
November 12th, 2006, 08:17 PM
Does it squeak or make noise?

Well, I tried another today. I really thought this one would be a hit. The plastic around it is super tough and it makes noise. Well Jesse loved it. She had a great time with it, until she didn't want to play fetch with it any longer. She decided she was going to "sit down" with it and three minutes later she started "pealing" the plastic off of it. Almost as if we were pealing a carrot with one of those kitchen gadgets. Ugh! Here it is:

http://www.petsmart.com/global/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=84552444177 7884&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302026219&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=2534374302023689&bmUID=1163383756363&itemNo=1&Ntt=giggly&In=All&previousText=giggly&N=2

skeetsh00ter
November 13th, 2006, 07:11 PM
i would go ahead and give the nylabone a try. I think dogs either love them or hate them, but thank goodness mine loves it. She too can destroy every type of 'indestructible' toy on the market. good luck in your search for the perfect toy!