Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

choking puppy

joanna
February 1st, 2006, 03:24 PM
Hi.

I thought I would ask this and educate myself as much as I can since I lost my precious puppy who choked on a piece of hotdog...

What is the best way to save a choking pup?
If the puppy grabbed something and it got stuck in his/her throat.. what do you do? I mean this is something you can't wait till you get to the vet. Especially if it happens somewhere remote.

The first response seems like sticking your fingers in there to get the stuff out, but I think it's the worst thing to do since it can rip and damage the already blocked trachea.

Any puppy first aid/ cpr we should all be aware of??

thanks

joanna

divinecalamity
February 1st, 2006, 04:54 PM
I don't really have any suggestions, other than reaching in and getting it, but I am very sorry to hear about your puppy :pawprint:

raingirl
February 1st, 2006, 09:44 PM
there are quite a few websites dedicated to animal CPR and even the Heimlich manouver. I would ask your vet how to teach you to give it to your dog so you know how in an emergency. We learned how to with our dog just in case.

mummummum
February 1st, 2006, 10:33 PM
I have a excellent quick reference book "Help! The Quick Guide to First Aid for Your Dog", Michelle Bamberger, DVM published by Howell Bookhouse. Also there are animal first aid courses which are held regularly here so there may be courses in your city as well. Your local Humane Society may know about them or they may be advertised in a local pet magazine. I'm so very sorry for the loss of your puppy - please be gentle with yourself.

Prin
February 1st, 2006, 11:56 PM
My doggies have always been big enough that you can practically see down to their lungs with their mouth wide open and you can go down up to your wrist...:o I don't know doggy heimlich, but I know doggy CPR... heh heh..:o