Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

dear Oprah....

jiorji
January 31st, 2006, 10:02 PM
please.........shut up

I'm sorry but I have to vent on this. If you like Oprah, then skip ahead lol

I'm sick and tired of Oprah's whining and complaining and giving away gifts to bribe people into liking her. It's all a media scam and there she goes doing her best acting to say that some author LIED to her. And who is she to be so offended that oh my goodness he dared to trick her.

I personally think that it's an author's DUTY to stretch the truth and embellish. I thought that's what writing is all about. 'Scuse me if Oprah doesn't agree. As if we should care what she thinks on everything.(nobody should care what I think either hehe)

I just don't see what the big deal is.
To Frey i say BRAVO! Good job on great writing skills! Where's the crime in that? I just can't stress enough how it's an author's job to embellish to make his book more interesting. Ideas are always based on fact, if it goes a bit further, I say it's just great imagination.

She totally made him look like an idiot on her show. What a @$#%!! I'm so annoyed! The BEST acting performance i've EVER seen was when the camera kept zooming in on Oprah's face when the poor guy admitted to "lieing" in his book.
good job!!

.....ok i feel better now :D
happy happy :D :D :D

oh....and what are YOUR thoughts?:)

Prin
January 31st, 2006, 10:11 PM
Embellishing is one thing. This guy made up whole chapters in his life. Without the lies, he has no story to tell. He should have called his book fiction.

It happened with Frank Mccourt and Angela's Ashes. They said that he was a rich boy and hadn't gone through any of the crap in the book. He answered that even if he hadn't so many kids did and their story still should be told. Everybody laid off.

It's Frey's fault for handling the situation poorly and lying from the start. If he had said, "I embellished a lot of the story" from the getgo, it would have been advertised differently and accepted differently. He pretended to have a story and got people to feel sorry for him when he was a nobody without a story. :rolleyes:

And I like the giveaway shows. Sure it's blatant advertising, but who cares! Compared to other stuff on tv, all the blood and gore and the crime shows and all that, it's nice to watch something light and happy once in a while, no?

jiorji
January 31st, 2006, 11:12 PM
And I like the giveaway shows. Sure it's blatant advertising, but who cares! Compared to other stuff on tv, all the blood and gore and the crime shows and all that, it's nice to watch something light and happy once in a while, no?

yeah way too many drama shows. And they're ALL about killing and psychotic murders. They finally get a show that's on my interest level "the Ghost Whisperer" and they get Jennifer Love Hewitt to do it.........:confused:

I can't wait until The Amazing race comes back on :D :D

Prin
January 31st, 2006, 11:13 PM
It's supposed to come on next week no?

StaceyB
January 31st, 2006, 11:24 PM
Wasn't she originally sticking up to his story.

Prin
January 31st, 2006, 11:25 PM
Yes, but then she found out she was wrong.

Shamrock
February 1st, 2006, 03:04 AM
I just can't stress enough how it's an author's job to embellish to make his book more interesting. Ideas are always based on fact, if it goes a bit further, I say it's just great imagination.

But at what point does embellishment and great imagination become fabrication? And cease to be non-fiction?

To write a compelling story is a challenge I'm sure, but when key components of it are invented, then presented as "fact", a certain degree of deception has taken place.

As for Oprah, I couldnt find a poll selection that fit.
I rarely watch her show or follow her latest endeavours, so dont really "have" an opinion on her.

I have to agree though, in spite of her endorsement, this publicly extracted "confession" of lying seems rather ludicrous to me, somewhat over the top.
It's not exactly the crime of the century, certainly been done before,

I guess to trick Oprah is tantamount to a national disgrace.:eek:

jawert1
February 1st, 2006, 08:45 AM
We *just* had this conversation here at work, and jiorji, I have to agree on some level that Oprah scares me. On one hand, she's really promoted reading (even if you're not a fan of some of the book choices) and ppl that wouldn't otherwise pick up a book, are doing so. In that same breath, that ONE person would recommend ANY book and that recommendation would skyrocket it to the top of the best seller list is TERRIFYING to me. It's a power that I feel can be misused as evidenced by the fact that yeah, she gave cars away and afterwards even MORE ppl were lining up to be at the show. It reminds me of that one smart kid in school that was so brilliant, but socially inept that they paid you to be their friend. Pity and disdain followed that kid around, but she always had a crew of hangers on. As for Frey's book, he lied, lots of ppl do (writers too) , and he *could* have gotten away with it had he called it fiction. Was it kind of fun to watch the clips on the web of his complete and utter discomfort in the face of this woman grilling him on national tv? Oh yeah. Do I think his book has some merit when taken as fiction? Sure, but you won't catch me touting it because of Oprah or her book club.

CyberKitten
February 1st, 2006, 08:47 AM
I don't watch Oprah but I saw this guy interviewed on Larry King (and there were some shots of the show) on a later program - I was doing something else at the time (multitasking) so did not pay strict attention but it seems to me the guy is sociopathic con artist and he conned everyone, not jujst Oprah - made up the whole thing. He will make it harder now for other writers who do memoirs. Watching him, I was turned off and I just got a bad feeling from him - and I tend to like most people. I just don't get why he had to embellish - it sounds like he an interestesting story to tell, if you like to read that sort of thing( I have enough drama at work to not want to read more of it unless it is something trult inspiring - like a book a woman wrote about her daughter's struggle with Cystic Fibrosis - and I lost two friends (sibs) to CF to that meant something to me.I wish I could recall the name of the book - I know they did have another daughter and named her Scarlett but I forget the daughter the book was about - I lent the book to someone and never got it back (I hate that and am now very careful when I lend books - I am a bookophile!). Anyway, it might come to me.

I am not an Oprah fan (I am just working when she is on) but I do think she has prob done a lot of good even if she had made a ton of money doing it. But to be honest, I do not get all the hype about her - even if I am happy to see a woman of colour do so well!!

And well, if she gave this guy a hard time, why did he lie about so much in an alledgedly "truth" book - and why did it take so long for the facts to come out - anyone could have called to check the facts so the publishing company did not do their work either - and they pay fact checkers, even the ones I write textbooks for!! So someone was not doing their job!!

I know writing about the past can be subjective but to outright lie about someone's suicide unless it ios fiction - and he seems like that is what he should stick to as a genre!

Rick C
February 1st, 2006, 08:59 AM
Like most guys, I've never seen a complete Oprah episode. :sorry: So I have to be careful what I say.

However, her handling of the Frey disaster was a classic example of PR damage control . . . . . . a seemingly inconsequential situation spinning down the hill and becoming a bigger and bigger snowball. You have to stop it, but how do you do it?

The classic tactic is this: when you've made a mistake, make a full and complete disclosure and a complete apology without qualifications.

She did that, then turned on him and tore him a new butthole on national tv . . . . and now the snowball is rolling back uphill.

All of that would sound obvious, but its not often practiced.

More often than not, people try to explain away their mistakes or justify them in another light . . . and that's what Oprah first tried to do with that phone call to Larry King.

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca

rivers
February 1st, 2006, 09:34 AM
I read the book. And my opinion is Oprah is focusing on the small insignificant details in the book. The main story line and suffering that he went through is all true. I never once thought that some of the stuff in there was ALL true. Obviously there has to be some drama to make a good book. I agree it should have been a non-fiction book, but in the end, James Frey wrote about his experience and it was a good read.

I have also noticed that in this season's Oprah, she seems a little bit more b#tchy. The camera focuses on her scowling face more often lately. Like in the story about the father in prison for armed robbery.

mastifflover
February 1st, 2006, 09:55 AM
I would have no problem except he out and out lied the book is fiction and that is what it should have been sold as. I think Oprah took the high road and admitted she was wrong. I would have ripped him a new one as well she made this guy rich which would have never happened without her touting his book. For the amount of money he made on this book he should sit there and take it. I honestly think the amount of people that pick up books because of her is amazing but if it makes people read all the power to her. So many are only functionally literate if this makes thm read then I am all for it since our schools really do suck when it comes to making kids read or for that matter make learning fun and improve self image.

TobsterMom
February 1st, 2006, 11:13 AM
I think he should thank Oprah. Because of her, this guy is now even more famous! Lately, bad publicity is better than good. More people will want to read his book now more than ever, out of curiousity!

Writing4Fun
February 1st, 2006, 01:31 PM
I'm with Prin and the others on this. If Frey wanted to embellish some of the facts in his book, he should have touted it as a work of fiction "based on my life story." There are ways an author can embellish the truth to make it more interesting without making up completely new pieces to his story. Once he did that, it became fiction.

I also agree that Oprah's giveaway shows are a little fun and lightness sprinkled amongst the doom and gloom of today's television. Who cares if it's all a bunch of self-centered PR? There are still a whole whack of worthy people getting wonderful gifts that they'd not likely ever see if it weren't for these types of shows. As long as she can do it, I say go for it! :D

rivers
February 1st, 2006, 01:43 PM
Oprah kept on repeating the word 'memoir'.
I just finished reading 'memoirs of a Geisha'. It is also supposidly a true story, except this author got it right and classified the book as a non-fiction.

melanie
February 1st, 2006, 03:34 PM
i love oprah, i think she is one of the most beautiful woman/ppl in the world, both physically and in her heart. the world is lucky to have such a soul in it, we are all better off for the likes of her. she is special and there are fewer and fewer ppl of her kind in the world these days. in this house she is almost worshiped really, if i were into religion she would be my god:D

she gives and gives and gives, shares her fortunate life with others while struggling like many woman do in life, she is adorable and a wonderful role model for young goirls around the world. its not her skin color, or her hair doos that get us, its her kindness of spirit and generosity thats wonderful, if i ever went to america i would only go there to see oprah, that is my only interest in that country... a wonderful woman..

now i saw a bit about this big fat lying man, frey, what a tool:D if someone lies to me i make an example of them, and she did that quite well from what i could tell, and if ppl want to go and buy the book, well suckers they are:D there is umpteen dozen good non fiction stories out there, this is just another.

quote-'She totally made him look like an idiot on her show. What a @$#%!! I'm so annoyed!'

from what i could gather he was jsut an idiot, if your gunna lie to oprah at least get it right and dont get busted. bloody fool, at least oprah had the guts to expose him as a lier, and its her show, she can do as she wishes and eprhaps she just does not want to be associated with liers, good on her i say for having the balls and guts to do what she thinks right, yay for her, it only makes me love her more....

as for her 'favourite things shows' i love them and woudl jsut die to be at them, and often she vchooses groups of ppl to participate that really deserve the spoil, i have seen her do the foster families, poor ppl, and a lot of other ppl in need, and she has the popularity, reputiaton and name to do it, so why not use it for the good instead of personal gain as she very well does.

I LOVE OPRAH and think she is truly one top chic:D :angel:

divinecalamity
February 1st, 2006, 04:24 PM
I have never been an Oprah fan...I think she is annoying..sure she does some nice things....she used to be nicer and more "real", least that is what i think..but she is so...just....annoying now. And I have really been unhappy with her since watching a show she did re her dog and its dog aggression...I watched it thinking maybe I could pick up a tip or two cause I have a dog aggressive mutt (whom I love :angel: )...and the trainer she had on had all these wonderfully trained dogs that he was allowing to interact with her dog to help in sociallizing...and she ....Oprah...kept going on about how her dog looked scared cause of the "scary" pitbulls......publicity they don't need from her..influencer of many...although the pibulls and the other dogs the trainer had were VERY VERY well behaved..and the trainer replied with some sort of statement like ..they are just dogs too...all the dogs were better then her dog ....Sorry..ranting...I never read her book..nor do I even know about what you guys are all speaking of...this is just my rant on why I dislike Oprah...I am done now...my boyfriend thinks I am crazy and make a big deal out of why I don't like her...but...well..that is just me :crazy:

Stacer
February 1st, 2006, 09:20 PM
I agree with Tobstermom. Not only has this guy been brought to the attention of people who don't watch Oprah through all of the news coverage (why are all the major networks running this story like it's the crime of the century?), he will probably sell millions more copies of his book because people will be curious to read what all the hype is about. She just did him a huge favour--again!

jawert1
February 1st, 2006, 09:48 PM
And my opinion is Oprah is focusing on the small insignificant details in the book.

Changing the details of a girlfriend's suicide to me is not insignificant or small, just indicative of how far someone will go to make a buck, not unlike Oprah herself, and makes me physically ill. Anyone with enough power to suggest a book that then skyrockets, or call out a breed they know NOTHING of that causes further public panic and outrage is irresponsible. Frey, his editor (she's guilty too) and Oprah are all liable for this. And as my company finds out daily, even bad press is good press so his agent must be LOVING it right now. Great discussion everyone, if nothing else, this thread is really getting some hot topics out there and might make us all a little more diligent about what we recommend (even tho none of us live in the Harpo Ivory Tower) :D

jiorji
February 1st, 2006, 10:05 PM
I'm so sorry you guys I wasn't notified of new posts and now there's so many good points to comment on.

Yes she HAS blown it out of proportion.

and MY GOODNESS what a celebrity status can do to society. I mean some people would do anything if a celebrity suggested they do something...such as the book club. I think that it's good publicity for the authors to have Oprah select their books. Een though I don't think she personally reads them. I mean...she must have assistants who do that.
But I think that with so many authors out there it's really hard to make some money when there's so much competition, and I think this sort of free marketing works for them, and I think that's great.

on the topic of lieing...well honestly, how many authors are trully 100% honest in their non-fiction books. One hopes to make their book interesting so people will want to read it. I guess most aren't lucky enough to have Oprah snoop in the book and dig out the truth. lol

I bet you there's some authors out there thinking "I just hope that never happens to me"
So I guess embellishment and great imagination become non-fiction when you get caught lieing;)

and ok fine he lied...what bothers me though is how Oprah handled it. I thought she was a bit harsh and it seemed like she was putting him before a jury and looking down on his poor pathetic lieing self and embarass him. Imagine what he must've felt. I think he's ready to retire from writing hehe

Prin
February 1st, 2006, 10:49 PM
All I can say is that all anybody had to do was either look for his sentencing hearing to see if he ever went to jail and if so, for how long, or the death certificate of his girlfriend or the newspaper article about it or some record of her death to see how she did it. It wouldn't have been hard to prove this story was fake.

jjgeonerd
February 2nd, 2006, 10:26 AM
if i ever went to america i would only go there to see oprah, that is my only interest in that country

I can assure you that there are MUCH better things to see in the US than the Oprah show! We have some of the most beautiful parks in the world (Yosemite, Yellowstone, Arches come to mind), great cities (such as San Francisco, Boston, and Seattle). Also, having myself been to Canada, Belgium, Germany, France, and England I can honestly say the US is in general a very friendly country.

On the Oprah topic...I have no idea what kind of person she is since I don't know her. Personally I think her show is a good example of the crap on TV today (although it definitely isn't the worst)...so I don't watch it (plus I'm at work). I also think she's is overpaid, but then again so are most entertainment personalities.

Luvmypit
February 2nd, 2006, 03:25 PM
You know what I hate about Oprah the fact that she says I just want to tell this story so that others can learn from it when she has a crime victim or whatever on. She will go on to say I dont want to sensationalize it. So why did she have those two sons that turned in their father for burglary. What was the message in that? If I see my dad commit a robbery I should report it. Its that she goes out of her way to say she is not telling the story for ratings but because she cares......

As for James Frey I read the book and loved it. Do I agree that he shouldnt have call it a memoir, he shouldn't have. I find it weird that because he changed Lilys death from a hanging to slitting her wrists that people say its for good ratings. I dont know about you but slitting the wrist is more sensational then hanging IMHO. So I didnt get Oprahs OMG look when he said he changed that part. He said he changed most of anything that would allow people to identify the characters. I would expect him too and if I were any of those characters I would be mad if he put in any descriptive enough details to identify me. I don't see how that was a big OMG. How dare you. We should be entitled to know the exact manner of death of this woman. Please.

I think Oprah had a responsibilty endorsing this book to check the facts on her own not just call the publisher up and ask them. I believe her apology was a sorry but it wasn't my fault cop out. Not to say Frey isn't responsible b/c he is. Do I think he should have been paraded on stage and treated like trash. No way. From a woman who preaches compassion what a hypocrite. She did it for herself, not for her viewers or anyone else.

As for James' book I thought it was a great book. He still went to treatment. People have also come out in his defense to collaborate his story at the treatment centre. So to say its all lies is an embellishment in itself.

I do agree with most, I felt duped. Do I need a personal apology or even for him to explain himself. No I have a life and other books to read.

Someone mentioned Angelas ashes and his followup book "Tis" and no one made such a huge stink about that one and some may argue that was way worse. (Frank McCourt)

From my post you might not believe me but I actually enjoy watching Oprah. She does do some great things. At the same time she has become so self righteous that its annoying. I have also found that this season and last she has a bit of an attitude, something different about her demeanor. Cant put my finger on it.

I think I started to be less enthusiastic about her when she made those dumb Pit Bull comments when her dog was being treated for agression and the pit bull was the one trying to show her spoiled dog to be calm.

Sorry for the typos...