Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Help with Muzzle

divinecalamity
January 31st, 2006, 08:42 PM
I just purchased a wire muzzle for my little Zoe, *sigh*:( , she HATES it, I can't blame her...she does walk on halti (hates that too), but I having a difficult time introducing her to the muzzle. I went to a site that describes muzzles and I am pretty sure I purchased the correct one, the Championboxer/pitbull muzzle 3/1. she is 7 months old so maybe the muzzle is a bit big yet? but it either looks too tight or too loose to me...her nose if really close to the end when the straps are done up tight, and when one hole looser she can pull it off with her feet. I am just wondering how others have gotten their dog to accept...maybe not like...but accept the wearing of a muzzle....she looks SOOOOOO sad and fights it, it is hard to even get on. I feel horrible :sad: but I know it is the law here (Edmonton) and I don't want to be a bad owner or pay the fine...here is a pic with her wearing it from the side...does it look ok...I think it does after seeing a pic on the web site for these muzzles...but I wanted to aske others...(the price tags are still on lol)

babyrocky1
January 31st, 2006, 09:06 PM
Ahhh, so sorry for you Divine, most of us here are from Ontario so we are going through this as well, most of us on the BSL portion of pets.ca that is, I have three different muzzles for my Rocky, he hates all of them, but I use two of them for different situations. Rocky has a plastic cage muzzle, I use that for when he is exercising as it allows room for panting, as does your wire muzzle, and I use something called muzzle for the misunderstood which is all leather and better looking, I use that one when he goes out to play with other dogs as it is less cumbersom for him. You may want to try the plastic cage muzzle just because its lighter but the reality is they hate being muzzled! It seems to fit okay from what I can see but Im no expert. There are many threads on this forum dedicated to this subject since we are all struggling to get through this nightmare. Good Luck and welcome to the board.

Inverness
January 31st, 2006, 09:15 PM
It looks "OK" to me (can't believe I'm using the work "OK", I should way "well-adjusted"), not too tight really. But I cannot help but seeing your dog's sad eyes. :( Isn't there a strap that should go accross from the top of the nose to the top of the head ? This usually prevents the dog from pulling the muzzle off with her paw. Although it's quite uncomfortable for some dogs.

There is a sticky for muzzle desensitization on the Bullies in Need forum:

http://bulliesinneed.fivepixelmedia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=456

If she really does feel too uncomfortable with the wire muzzle, you could try the leather ones, like those made by Hotdogs alldressed ?

divinecalamity
January 31st, 2006, 09:29 PM
Thankyou for your replies, and I will try as the site provided for info on how to train to wear a muzzle. This muzzle never came with I strap for over her head...but that would make it fit much much better, I will have to look into that, maybe it can be ordered seperately, I dislike the plastic ones, but maybe I could try those instead as it was suggestes as it may be lighter. Thanks again

Inverness
January 31st, 2006, 10:16 PM
Have a look at Hotdogs. Their designs really help soften the overall appearance of a muzzled dog.

http://www.hotdogsalldressed.com/specialty.html

gdamadg
January 31st, 2006, 10:35 PM
I have that exact muzzle for Sprint and ordered the same for my sister and her roomates dog. With my sisters and my dog, it wasn't a problem, came with the "restraining strap" across the back of the head. But my sisters roomate dog is a tiny pittie (runt of the litter and malnourished, until she was rescued). The one we got for her, didn't come with a strap like that. She just adapted it with a strap with buckles from a harness or halti. I am sure if you look for something, even if it is a piece of velcro strap, to restrain the back of the head, your doggy will be ok.

As for getting them used to it, it comes in time. It took Sprint a long time to get used to the Halti and the muzzle just came in time. He actually deals with the wire cage muzzle better than the nylon one I got for his winter "pee's", lol.

gdamadg
January 31st, 2006, 10:44 PM
Here is Sprint on Day 1. If you notice how the strap comes across the top of the head and attaches to the strap behind the neck. You could make something similar. No need to purchase.

joeysmama
January 31st, 2006, 10:54 PM
Oh my goodness. These doggies look so sad in their muzzles. They're trussed up like criminals ! I can understand why those of you who have to comply with this law are upset about it. I can't imagine having to muzzle my pooch just to take him out and give him some fresh air. Imagine if people had to have their jaws wired shut every time they went out to socialize. Kind of ruins the fun doesn't it?

jesse's mommy
February 1st, 2006, 05:12 AM
I too feel so sad seeing all the furbabies in their muzzles. It's so sad and I seriously have a tear in my eye because of it. :sad:

Imagine if people had to have their jaws wired shut every time they went out to socialize. Kind of ruins the fun doesn't it?

On the other hand, I know a few people I think we should wire their jaws shut -- Namely those who impose BS like this!!! :evil:

CyberKitten
February 1st, 2006, 09:55 AM
Gosh, those dogs look so sad - makes me sad to look at them, poor babies!! Why do they have to be treated like Hannibal Lector just because of opportunistic polticians (and to be fair, some bad dog owners!!). It's all so sad!!!!!

divinecalamity
February 1st, 2006, 04:40 PM
I have been doing step one in the muzzle training and it seems to be going ok..she will leaver her face in it if she thinks there are more treats coming :) ,
I will have to create something for the over the head part....I'll figure it out :) , thanks for the help :pawprint:..Sprint looks soooo sad, stupid "rules", we should put the politicians in hannibal lector face masks

gdamadg
February 1st, 2006, 06:09 PM
..Sprint looks soooo sad, stupid "rules",

Well he is better with it now, but still sad. He actually prefers the wire cage to the nylon one now.

babyrocky1
February 1st, 2006, 08:17 PM
The cages are all bettter than the nylon, at least they can pant, I cant use the wire one cause Rocky likes to rub his muzzle agaist my leg to try and get it off...errr ouch! Ah poor guy:sorry: poor pitties! Im forever saying :sorry: to Rocky, I hope he knows I am.:fingerscr

gdamadg
February 1st, 2006, 10:42 PM
The cages are all bettter than the nylon

Yes they are and I would prefer to have him wear the cage one all the time. But given I live in frozen hell, and I wouldn't have him wear it just to go pee.

divinecalamity
February 2nd, 2006, 01:59 AM
But given I live in frozen hell

I never even considered the cold...I let Zoe out in the back yard for a quick pee without a muzzle, although it is law here, I just keep an eye on her. That would so suck to have a wet nose and a freezing cold metal muzzle...after all...I am sure more than just I have stuck their tongue to something metal in the winter...as a kid...or was it just me:D :crazy:

gdamadg
February 4th, 2006, 06:27 PM
I never even considered the cold...

I can't help but consider it. Winter starts in Oct and ends in Apr/May here. And given I don't have a fenced yard right now, I take Sprint out for at least 3 walks a day, and usually for at least a half hour each. That's a long time to have that hunk of metal on your face. Even with the nylon one on, when we are out, I have to find a secluded spot to take it off and give him a short break.

I am planning on moving to Calgary spring/summer '07 and I was thankful that it would be the end of the muzzle. But then I thought about if I came back here to visit family and brought him with me. And my cousin that lives in Edmonton. I guess I will have to find a good kennel or friend to watch him when I am travelling.