Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

A question for raw food feeders

Dog Mom
January 31st, 2006, 04:15 PM
Does anyone give their dogs wild game ie: moose, deer, caribou, wild birds?
People around here hunt for food, and I'm always being offered animal "parts" legs, inards, scrap meat. I've always declined because I'm leary of germs and other nasties. My dogs get raw marrow bones already I'm just not to sure of wild meat.

Prin
January 31st, 2006, 04:36 PM
I can answer that, sort of--- we tried to give Jemma some deer once and she just kept rolling on it and never actually ate it. It was very strange...:D

But I think it's ok. (if they eat it and there are no parasites in the animal...)

Dog Mom
January 31st, 2006, 04:44 PM
LOL I think that I'd get the same reaction from Zoe, We were out for a walk once and she dropped to the ground and started rolling,........... it was a dead mouse. :sick:

coppperbelle
January 31st, 2006, 07:58 PM
Recently I mentioned on this board about CWD (Chronic wasting disease) which is being seen more and more in wild deer in certain U.S. states. Some states border Canada although I have not heard that it has crossed over yet.
Hunters in the affected states are being advised on how to slaughter deer and what parts are safe to eat etc....

cpietra16
January 31st, 2006, 08:03 PM
When I lived on Vancouver island, wild meat was the staple. Healthiest wild and feral cats and dogs I ever met.

Dog Mom
February 1st, 2006, 08:39 AM
I'm sure Gibson who was a "wild" dog for the first 5 years of his life would love to chew on a moose leg again lol. The only thing that really bothers me is the idea of parasites, because he had a REALLY bad case of tapeworm when we first got him. All my dogs are avid chewers, and a 3 inch piece of marrow bone is about $2.50 each so times that by 6 it gets expensive ( if I get one for my dogs I have to get one for my sister's also:p ) they usually get a new bone once a week.

BoxerRescueMTL
February 1st, 2006, 12:10 PM
Deep freeze wild meat for 3 days :)

Rottielover
February 1st, 2006, 12:15 PM
Harley gets Raw Bison meat in his diet, and Had been doing exceptionally well

Dog Mom
February 1st, 2006, 02:24 PM
BoxerRescue: Does Freezing the meat kill parasites? also do you give the bone frozen or let it thaw?

Mineeputs
February 1st, 2006, 02:52 PM
Definately feed your dog wild game! Our lab started on venison along with the usual veggie, flax seed oil, etc. combinations. It's a lot cheaper (if available in your area) and better for your dog because there's no chemicals added. Our local butcher is a busy guy after hunting season and is more than willing to get rid of the waste.

Dog Mom
February 1st, 2006, 03:20 PM
We don't have many deer up here, mostly moose and some Caribou. People here usually butcher their own. during hunting season we have offers left, right and center. maybe i'll have to give it a try and see if they like it or not.