Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Advice on Neutering

Jenmlf
January 31st, 2006, 12:57 PM
Hey Everyone!

My little cutie Bailey is 5 months old now so I'm interested in knowing your advice on when I should get him nutered. Our Vet said that if we want him to lift his leg to pee then we should at 7 months or if not then 6. I don't want him to... Is there a reason to wait? My boyfriend seems to think we should wait so he is "mature" but I don't think thats even an issue? I know I have heard of people "fix" puppies when they much younger then Bailey is now.

If it helps at all, Bailey is a Shih Tzu Maltese mix and he is about 7-8 lbs now I'm guessing. All your advice would be apprechiated!

Thanks!
Jen

StaceyB
January 31st, 2006, 01:03 PM
The sooner the better. It is best to do it before he begins to mark.

Jenmlf
January 31st, 2006, 01:24 PM
when do they start to mark? is it smelly?

Prin
January 31st, 2006, 01:30 PM
I'd do it sooner. I love a neutered male. They're so laid back- not looking for territory or females to hump...

Marking is annoying (they pee every 2 feet), and embarrassing (especially if they mark a person).

As the testosterone levels increase, there is more chance of aggression or dominance, especially with other dogs. Getting the surgery before maturity helps curb that.

Lifting the leg depends on the dog, not the hormones. Boo was neutered before he lifted his leg and he still lifts his leg now.

Some vets will tell you that the dog will get bigger and bulkier if you neuter later, which is not true according to newer research. The research says that the sex hormones close the growth plates, so if the animal is neutered, the plates won't close as quickly. Regardless, we're only talking about very minimal differences anyway.

I'd do it sooner than later.

Rottielover
January 31st, 2006, 01:37 PM
Prin, just because they are neutered does not man they will not be rude, or territorial. There are a couple of dogs I know that hump when they are neutered, as well as MY HARLEY likes to mark all over the place but in the house. He is just very territorial. But I would neuter your dog soon, just for your sanity

Prin
January 31st, 2006, 02:36 PM
No, some neutered dogs hump, but in my experience, the percentage of neutered humpers is much lower than intact humpers... And the humping neutered dogs tend to have gotten neutered later on as well- as far as the humpers I know. Let me put it this way: if you neuter early, you are less likely to end up with a humper.

Could I have said "humper" any more times? lol :clown:

coppperbelle
January 31st, 2006, 06:39 PM
Hunter was neutered at about 6 1/2 months. When I brought him home at 6 months he spent the whole day trying to hump Chloe. She got fed up after a few hours of his persistence and told him to knock it off. :D
That was the one and only time he has humped. He has never shown any sign of aggression and is just the sweetest boy you could meet. He doesn't lift his leg to pee and doesn't mark every two feet on walks. In fact he doesn't mark at all.
While neutering does not guarantee a male will stop marking or humping it does help with some dogs.