Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Doggy Tantrums/ peeing all over

Tammers
January 31st, 2006, 12:48 PM
My 5 yr old Bichon knows to tell us when he needs to potty. He gets our attention then goes to the door to be let outside. But there are times i catch him (casing) the house for a place to pee. I ask him what are you doing mister? then he will proceed with the usual routine of letting us know he has to go. But if we dont catch him casing the house he will pee every where including his own bed, our bed, on furniture ect. He even twice pee'd on my husbands behind while he was laying in bed asleep for a naps.

He does suffer anxiety issues and has been on medication in the past. He hides where people talk loud, or if there are loud noises outside. Becomes very frightened around strangers. He is also very protective around me. He will attempt to bite someone if they come near but. But is friendly with people when with other family members. I am the one he spends all his time with.

If i have to leave for any period of time (shopping, doctors ect) when i come home he will pee on only my belongings in the house. (Where i sit on the sofa, my clothing, even once pee'd on a can of soda i had on the table). One week my son was rather grumpy with him (my sons a teenager lol) Buck pooped in his sneaker.

Is there anything i can do to help with these problems? Any help is greatly appreciated. Bucky is my life :D He is the most sweetest, cuddly, loveable doggy i have ever met for the most part :D

Tammers

jessi76
January 31st, 2006, 12:58 PM
a little more info may help members give you some advice. how long have you had this dog? Where did you get him from? Is he neutered? Have you done any training with him? Why is he still allowed access to the whole house if he's peeing on everything?

Tammers
January 31st, 2006, 03:01 PM
Ive had him since he was a puppy and no he is not nuetered. We cant confine him to 1 certain area or he has anxiety attacks that leads to him chewing his feet til they bleed (he also suffers seperation anxiety, im a house wife so been with him 24/7 since he was a pup) :( We tried booties , he always finds how to get them off, and he LOVES bitter apple lol. He is a very intelligent little boy. He learns tricks very fast. He understands no. As for training. He is house trained it seems when he wants to be. If you can understand what i mean. For the most part he lets us know when he has to go, then there are the moments he sneaks off and goes when he wants to. He must know its bad to do it i cant understand. He always makes sure we are not watching. When we catch him casing he is like a 2 yr old kid and gets that im innocent look about him then lets us he needs to go out for potty. He is a very playful sometimes bordering spaztic dog lol. He likes to play for hours and hours and hours. My husband and myself often wondered if it is possible for a dog to have ADHD with some of his behaviors. Ex.. any distraction he forgets what he is doing. He will start to eat and then run off at the slightest interruption. He will forget to eat again til he passes his bowl, then he forgets his toys when he see's the food and vice versa. There are times we have to sit him down beside us with his bowl so he will eat. He has been known to go days with out eating if we dont and he will sit there with his stomach growling. The vet said that was peculiar, he eats like a bird as well when he does eat. (he has had blood tests ect to rule out seirous health related problems) Like he eats just as much as he needs. He never gorges himself. Where as most dogs would keep eating til sick if given the opportunity. He is up all night long just chewing on his chew bones, or wanting to play. He sleeps just a cpl hours in the morning. His vet just laughs n says he such a weird little dog.

Despite all his weird quirks he is always happy, always wagging his tail, always giving effection loves to cuddle, give kisses and always playful sometimes to the point of exaustion for the family. But i would never trade him for the world.

Tammers
January 31st, 2006, 03:07 PM
forgot to add. He does get taken outside approx every 2-3 hours through out the day

Rottielover
January 31st, 2006, 03:25 PM
Having him neutered will help, but not solve. Have you taken him to the vet to be checked for a UTI. How about a crate to help ease the anxiety

Tammers
January 31st, 2006, 04:23 PM
Thanks for the reply will definately talk to the vet about everying on next visit

Inverness
January 31st, 2006, 05:37 PM
Seems to me your little Bichon is marking all over your house ! Having him neutered would definitely reduce the urge to mark his territory and his property, although it will take time and will not take care of the other problems such as the anxiety. However, having less hormones to listen to might just give him a break and make him feel much calmer.