Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Question about making a room for lab puppy.

q43000gt
January 30th, 2006, 09:03 PM
I have a 9 week old yellow lab and I need some input. My wife works days and I work nights so our schedules are a bit odd. Do I really need a crate for this dog or can I make him his own room and let him be in there for a couple of hours during the day when I sleep. I would be able to get up during the day to let him outside and feed him I just need somewhere he can go so he does not tear the house up.

The room is nice and it would be 100% his and it is about 100 square feet. The dog is almost potty trained since he was raised on a farm and he has only gone potty in the house twice in almost two weeks.

Would his own room be okay for him or would a crate work better? What should I put in the room for him to be busy with while he is alone.

I have been off of work for two weeks so I am returning and need to know. Also, this would only be the case three days a week since my wife is only part-time.

domesticzookeep
January 30th, 2006, 09:53 PM
I got my black lab when she was 3 months old, and initially tried to give her a room of her own, rather than crate train.....while a lot will depend on the dog's personality - mine was *very* active, and a *big* chewer! (She tore apart a few black kongs in no time!)
Eventually, after having her chew on the door, and rip up the peel & stick tiles (I wan't rid of them, but still!), telephone cords, curtains, etc, etc :evil: :evil: , I gave in & bought a crate. I grew up w/ dogs, and we never crated any of them, so I really wasn't that crazy about the idea - but I'm now 1000% converted! It was much safer for her, much safer for my house!
(Eventually she became....ahem...less distructive...and could be left by herself w/ restricted access)

With my fosters, they have to earn their space by proving they can handle being on their own, w/out me worrying about having to take them to the vet, or do house repairs. While all of them initially put up a bit of a fuss, they eventually come around to really like their crate - it's their own safe place. It also helps them settle, so, you might be able to sleep better :)

Since you have a room that can be dedicated to the dog, you may want to put the crate in the room, and eventually as the dog gets older, the dog can graduate to having the room (w/ door shut) and eventually, the house. Make sure the crate is big enough for the dog to move around in, and have space for toys, and a bowl for water.

Don't forget to share pics....how can anyone resist a yellow lab puppy ;)

C.
:ca:

mona_b
January 30th, 2006, 10:00 PM
I see no problem what so ever with him having his own room.:)

In the 20 odd years of owning dogs,I have never crated them..I puppy proofed the kitchen and had it blocked off.

What should I put in the room for him to be busy with while he is alone.

I would put a blanket/bed.
A kong filled with treats to keep him busy.(and it will help him with his teething)
Some puppy toys.
A radio(so he doesn't feel alone..I did this)
And his water bowl.

It's been almost 10 years since I had a pup,so I may be missing something...:)

Can you post a pic of your little guy????........:D

q43000gt
January 30th, 2006, 10:28 PM
I will post a pic tomorrow when I am home. I tried to leave him alone for about 20 minutes to see how he would like his room and he just barked for about 15 minutes and then he became quiet. I am sure it gets easier when he gets used to it. It put my wife in tears.

I guess we will see how it works out.

mona_b
January 30th, 2006, 10:37 PM
It will take time for him to adjust.Especially if he is not really used to being alone.....:)

And also if he has nothing in his room to keep him occupied,then he will be bored and lonely..The radio will help out alot.....:)

Also,when you do put him in "his" room while you sleep,I would tire him out a bit before you put him in there.A tired puppy is a happy puppy....:D

Skryker
January 31st, 2006, 06:55 AM
We have 2 lab/Rottie pups that are 12 weeks old now. They have their own room for when we can't watch them. Initially, they protested about it, and there is some damage to the walls where they dug at them, but now they go in and go to sleep when it's time. It helps that I give them a dog biscuit when they first go in ;) ! We leave the radio on, or the TV for company. If you can take your puppy for a good romp first, that would help. It's so true-a tired puppy is a good puppy, and a contented to be on his own puppy.

phoenix
January 31st, 2006, 07:01 AM
Hi
Congratulations on your new puppy!!
I also dedicated a room in the house for our pups. I want to warn you- get ready for the crying!!! Both of ours barked and whined for hours the first few times they were shut in alone. Sam (lab cross) chewed the door frames. Maia launched herself at the gate. I hardly got any sleep the first week with Sam, and I was crying and wondering what had I done??!!
But, after a week he settled down. I thought about crating, but couldn't bring myself to do it. He became very good in his room. We put paper down, and eventually he did stop using it and waited to go outside.
Good luck! I'm sure your pup will eventually settle into his new room.

mona_b
January 31st, 2006, 08:00 AM
This puppy will only be in "his" room for a couple of hours while the OP has his nap....So I think pup will be ok....;)

Also,this way puppy will learn to be by himself.:)

What is his name by the way?

q43000gt
February 1st, 2006, 05:13 AM
Thanks for the replys. I must say, I had him alone for a few hours yesterday and it was awful. He barked for the first 30 minutes or so and whined a bit and then became quiet for a while. He started up again after an hour or so and then around the 2.5 hour mark I got up and he was sound to sleep. He did not destroy anything and he held his bladder.

I am going to be trying this again today and I am sure the same result will happen (poor guy). I really don't have a choice since I must sleep a little bit. I can't wait til he is older so he can be on his own and I can relax.

I am a stress free person but this dog is testing me. He is perfect but it is so difficult to hear him cry and hearing him try to get out of his room. I have to shut the door on him because he can get over his gate somehow. I feel so cruel to him and I hope it is not as hard on him as it is on me.

Pics are coming. BTW, I got more sleep when we had a newborn baby. Oh well, it is so worth it. He is a blast with all his energy when we are both awake.

Skryker
February 1st, 2006, 08:00 AM
Hang in there with him-the first few times I put my pups in their room, the whining almost broke my heart. Basically, he will learn that you WILL come back and he's not alone forever. Now, Fingal will go into the puppy room on his own to get away from Bronwyn if he wants to sleep and she wants to play. It's his den, I guess.

mona_b
February 1st, 2006, 08:15 AM
Basically, he will learn that you WILL come back and he's not alone forever.

I totaly agree.

And what you can also do(and your wife also) is put him in there a few times a day(short periods of time)....This way he can get used to being in there.

So if you or your wife are home,put him in the room for a bit.Let him have "his" time alone...Let him bark or whine for a bit...After he stops,wait a bit,then go and let him out.Never when he is doing this.Then HE will be training you.:)

It's a bit of a scare to a pup if all of a sudden he is alone in a strange room.

Also,do you have the things that I suggested in his room?

q43000gt
February 1st, 2006, 07:41 PM
Today went much better. He whined a bit he got over it. I got him a Kong toy and put some food inside with the peanut butter but he did not touch it for more than a minute. His room has all kinds of stuff in it that he can play with and I have a radio on.

His name is Calvin.

q43000gt
February 1st, 2006, 07:44 PM
Also, I have noticed the past few days he has a bit of eye drainage or discharge that appears clear. I have heard this is not good but is it common in puppys?

Should I take him back to the vet?

Here is a pic that slightly shows it. It is not bad but once a day I wipe about a half an inch of drainage mainly from right eye but sometimes both.

jesse's mommy
February 1st, 2006, 07:47 PM
He's gorgeous! More pictures please!!!

Skryker
February 2nd, 2006, 09:38 AM
Awww, what a cutie! Is he named for Calvin, of Calvin and Hobbes fame?